do you have Gigabyte UD5 + Megahalem + Patriot ram. It doesnt seem to fit :(

Associate
Do you have this combination? I do, with two 25mm fans on my Megahalem cooler. I am really worried about the fact that the clips holding the fan are weaved through the coolers on the memory! Is this going to cause problems? I will never be able to max out my ram slots - I know that and i'm unhappy about that. I will have to live with that i guess :( How about the fact that clips are actually going through the fins in the rams heatsink? Is this a problem?

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 - http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-155-GI&groupid=701&catid=5&subcat=1283

Patriot Viper 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800 (1600MHz) - http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-017-PA&groupid=701&catid=8&subcat=1389

Prolimatech Megahalems Performance CPU Cooler - http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-000-PL&groupid=701&catid=57&subcat=1395

Hope someone can advise - first build i've done in years and i'm really worried :(

Dub

Associate
OP
Sorry about the quality of the pic - it's a camera phone. Look at the top of the ram module. You will see the clip holding the fan goes right in to the middle of the ram module's cooling fins.

I'm on a real downer at the moment :( What do you guys think..

cooler.jpg

Associate
I had the same problem with mine (along with a whole host of others). Got an EVGA SLI LE and all the issues went away.

I found it quite amusing slotting the clips into the patriot ram, theyre not touching anything important though; just the heat spreader.

Associate
OP
I think i'm feeling extra down because i spent so long thinking about components and going over different options. For some stupid reason i changed from the h50 to the megahalem at the last minute :( I can't really afford to make a change - it's just ****ing me off that i am restricted on the RAM now. I'm also worried that the vibrations from the fan will go through the holding clips and straight on to the heat spreaders. It's metal to metal contact.

Associate
OP
Andi - by the way - i had a hell of a job getting that bar you attach between the heat pipes with sprung screws down. I had to apply a LOT of preassure and in the end lost my bottle and didnt screw them all the way down. Did you have any such issue?

Associate
a lot of people dont screw them all the way down. I do, and have done on different motherboards with no issues.
As long as you have a secure and solid contact dont worry - i prefer them screwed all the way in though (really helps to remove fans and use a longer screwdriver).

Soldato
I'm not 100% sure about this (some advice would be appreciated) but could you not just insert this OCZ RAM if you needed 12GB, it is much lower profile and am using it in my PC now with a megahalems - no problems in the 1st slot? Its the same frequency, latency and voltage - just a different brand.

But TBH, by the time we need 12GB of RAM 4GB DDR3 sticks will be available and competitive. This would be a far better solution as it puts less stress on the memory controller.

As for the screws, i've done this a few times before, so I screwed them all the way down until they stopped turning. Its perfectly happy and the extra pressure should help with the heat transfer.

Caporegime
I'm not 100% sure about this (some advice would be appreciated) but could you not just insert this OCZ RAM if you needed 12GB, it is much lower profile and am using it in my PC now with a megahalems - no problems in the 1st slot? Its the same frequency, latency and voltage - just a different brand.
Maybe a bit of a noob question mate, but with the 6gb are you using the black ram slots on the p6t dlx v2, i have mine in the orange and just want to check that ive got it setup properly, still to used to dual channel ddr2:o:)

Associate
OP
Guys - i know this will sound silly to some of you but just knowing that i'm not the only one who had screws that were hard to turn and fans that don't quite fit has really cheered me up - believe me when i say i am well out of my comfort zone building this pc.

I guess i was just losing my bottle a bit thinking about the massive amount of money i have just spent and the thought of possibly having broken something or misordered something was depressing me. I already feel guilty for having spent so much as it is.

Thanks guys - great to have this kind of backup.

I'm going to try the offset fan method first and if that doesn't work i'll go ahead and modify the clip the same way andi did.

Cheers,
Dub

Soldato
Guys - i know this will sound silly to some of you but just knowing that i'm not the only one who had screws that were hard to turn and fans that don't quite fit has really cheered me up - believe me when i say i am well out of my comfort zone building this pc.

I guess i was just losing my bottle a bit thinking about the massive amount of money i have just spent and the thought of possibly having broken something or misordered something was depressing me. I already feel guilty for having spent so much as it is.

Thanks guys - great to have this kind of backup.

I'm going to try the offset fan method first and if that doesn't work i'll go ahead and modify the clip the same way andi did.

Cheers,
Dub

Happy to help. If you feel guilty about your PC, just run some folding@home clients and cure some cancer - should balance things out :)

Maybe a bit of a noob question mate, but with the 6gb are you using the black ram slots on the p6t dlx v2, i have mine in the orange and just want to check that ive got it setup properly, still to used to dual channel ddr2

Just stuck my head in the case, they are also in the orange slots and they are working fine. If I remember correctly - the orange ones are the slots recommended in the manual for 3 stick triple-channel arrangement. That said, i'm sure they would run happily in the black ones anyway.

Caporegime
Thanks for the rassurance mate, though i do remember an athlon s939 rig i had a few years ago with an asus a8n sli board, the manual was misprinted regarding dual channel memory placement.

Associate
OP
Copying Andi's method i got the fan stuck on without fouling the heatspreaders on the ram :) I only wish i had sleeved my cables first lol - once i have checked the pc is working im going to have to take it apart again to do the sleeving and cable management i think /sigh

Caporegime
Glad you got it sorted:) Id actually thought about buying the megahelems, but from looking at the dimensions on their site, it's a fair bit wider than my current TRUE black, it would probably have been impossible to fit my ram in the first 2 slots as the heatspreader is over an inch tall on each stick.

Back
Top Bottom