Do you have passion in your life?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I would say photography and urban exploring, but those are second nature now, and whilst I still enjoy them and always learn new things, they're established passions that I can do very easily and learn quickly too when trying something new as well as share that knowledge with others.

I like to challenge myself and try new things entirely every so often, so currently my biggest passion is calisthenics fitness:

2019.04.26%20-%20Planche%20-%20Jump%20hold.jpg

Never had an interest in physical fitness until the last year or two having done the gym for a year and found it unsurprisingly tedious. This is a much better alternative with greater benefits.

Soldato
I would say photography and urban exploring, but those are second nature now, and whilst I still enjoy them and always learn new things, they're established passions that I can do very easily and learn quickly too when trying something new as well as share that knowledge with others.

I like to challenge myself and try new things entirely every so often, so currently my biggest passion is calisthenics fitness:

*snip*

Never had an interest in physical fitness until the last year or two having done the gym for a year and found it unsurprisingly tedious. This is a much better alternative with greater benefits.

You didn't mention your M3 :p

Soldato
Health and fitness is my passion. But I am always someone who is looking for something new or to take up to improve my skillset.

Only play computer games no more that 1 or 2 hours a week now. Games are getting too complex now and I cant be bothered to read a wall of text on how to do another battle system or equip items.

Soldato
Why go all the way to the gym when literally anywhere there's a bar, kitchen worktop corner (or two chairs) and a floor becomes the gym at any time of the day? :D

Calisthenics are great for fitness, but if you want to develop muscle then they'll only work to a certain point, beyond that you need to increase the amount of weight you're lifting.

Soldato
My passion is speciality Coffee right now, If & when I travel I do a bit of research to see if there's a Artisan/speciality coffee shop in the area & pay it a visit. I've not had much chance to do that in the last six months as I've had to spend time & money on a big renovation project. I did have a short break over the BH holiday weekend & pay a visit to North Norfolk to pay a visit to a couple of said coffee shops & travel from one to the other by Steam Train! I do buy good quality coffee Beans for home if said coffee shops sell them.

Work pays the bills. Been doing the same job for 18 Years & I hate it sometimes. Not quite as much as I hate my employer & its management team. I was quite happy working for my previous employer until it was taken over by this one. I only stick around for the sake of my pension, the fact that its a short drive from home & it would be difficult at my age (53) to find alternative employment where I live.

Soldato
my passions are bodyboarding and coastal walking ,today ive done about 20 miles from fistral to perranpoth with afew detours and back for a surf ,
add living in cornwall as a passion also .its awesome
pic is the way back ,looking down the gannel

2zfiq9g.jpg

Associate
Best thing I've done in the last 10 years was quit my job as a software engineer and go do teacher training.
The second best thing I've done over the same period was jack the teacher training after 7 weeks because it just wouldn't have worked for me.

Learned something though, really loved working with kids, so now I do that. Work with kids with special needs (autism/adhd etc).

The pay is pathetic - less than a quarter of what I was on in software.
The hours are short - 8:45-15:00 with two 30 min breaks.
The holidays are long - about 13 weeks a year but no choice in when you take them.
The job has its ups and downs like any other.
But I have far more fun every day than I've had in any other job I've ever done.
Also, move schools every 12-24 months because, why not. A change is as good as a rest.

Not gonna pretend it's a burning passion, but definately my life is better now. And bit by bit I'm slowly fixing every other thing that does not make me happy. Finally realised (only took nearly five decades) that my life is what I make of it.

My advice, if you're not happy, change something.

Associate
Mydvice, if you're not happy, change something.

Literally the best advice anyone can give to any person. Should be taught in schools.

I give seminars to sixth formers and I can't stress to them that doing something you enjoy, or find satisfying, is worth more than gold. So many youngsters aims these days is money and possessions.

Associate
Aviation. A massive sense of freedom and peacefulness every time I hit the skies. It's something I always wanted to "be" as a child, but never thought I could, so being able to fulfill that is incredible and more so being able to share it with friends and family. Still some ways to go to get to the end goal, but I'm getting there. I'd absolutely love to be an ambassador for a future employer and inspire people to follow the same path. I could talk for hours about it!

https://i.imgur.com/l3RLEdM.jpg

Same here. Love all things aviation. One of my earliest memories as a toddler was seeing a helicopter fly overhead which scared me so much I went running to my mum in floods of tears!

Would love to work professionally in the field but I'm colourblind so that's put a stop to that.

I am, however, extremely fortunate to fly for pleasure and regularly take friends and family flying.

@Dynix that an Archer you're flying?

jkb

jkb

Associate
I don't really have any passions any longer. I used to love playing cricket but I was forced to give that up when my first child was born. I like building computers but even that has lost most of the appeal it once had. I still game but it's not really a passion any longer, just something I do. I've started playing tennis again recently maybe that will develop into something. It just seems that as I've got older I have less interest in everything.

Soldato
You don't need to be a rich actor to have a passion, I'm Joe Average, and surfing is my main one - and I'm lucky enough to have been able to arrange my life around it now.

I started when I was 12, and turning 40 this year with no plans on quitting until my back / hips give in completely... and even then I think I might just take up bodyboarding at 80 :)

It's an endless source of inspiration to make sure my body is in as good a shape as it can be, challenges me to continually get better, allows me to spend quality time with the kids and by myself, it dictates what kind of cars ( 4x4 trucks) I buy so that I can do beach drives, it lets me kit our said truck to go on family camping trips and shape great memories with them, it's taken me to exotic places in the world, it lets me obsess over small details of board design for all sorts of conditions and weirdly, makes me feel alive by being exposed to being in the food chain where humans are not used to that feeling any more and make friends with the same interests.

I spent a fair bit of my life away from the ocean, and found a replacement for some of those years in Mountain Biking. All of the above applied , apart from the food chain bit.

Before finding mountain biking those years away form the ocean, I found myself falling into bouts of depression and unhealthily obsessing over immaterial things that inevitably make me feel empty (PCs, gaming, technology etc). I'm not claiming those things are 'bad', and still do love those, but I have to take those in moderation as it feels like an endless empty pursuit.

Soldato
OP
You don't need to be a rich actor to have a passion

This is what stood out for me, yes, he's a worldwide celeb and worth $150 million but you get the feeling that if he was penniless but had his family and was still on stage performing he'd still be one the happiest men you'd meet.

I'm 37, been with my wife since just before we turned 16. Married ten year, mortgage, 2 kids and another on the way. £30k ish a year job but nothing gives me a reason to get up in the morning.

Nothing is better than my kids, even though at times they drive me crazy. Their hugs calm me, and on the odd occasion they still fall asleep on me I can honestly say I feel true peace. I'm quite reserved as well, don't mingle well, **** at small talk (although everyone loves me and treats me like the life and soul but I'm really not) but my kids give me that reason to be silly. Walking around in public doing daft stuff to make them laugh.

We go yurting once a year, no phones, no tv, no social media, rarely any electricity. Just campfires, gas cooking and the woods. We all love it and it brings us all together. The kids and I would make that permanent but it's not the wife's cup of tea. I feel at peace here too.

Passion though, I've wasted years gaming and I've come to learn that it's a distraction for me, a distraction from the pain I live in and I suppose the bits I'm missing in life. Since reading a magazine at the age of 4 about a home computer running house security I've always been hooked, I didn't even upgrade my phone this year. Kept my battered S7, stuck a chunky case on it and went sim only contract. I've always every other flagship, it just doesn't interest me, waste of money.

I have plans, interests but they are short-lived or just sit there simmering like an ongoing untouched project.

I've just photographed a wedding, been doing it on and off for 10 years but nowhere near @Raymond Lin's level, I enjoy it I just can't seem to throw myself into it like i used to.

As much as I love my family, it often feels like I'm doing it for them, once the kids leave home then what?

I guess this question was much deeper than I first thought.

Last edited:
Soldato
I feel like a lot of people are just posting hobbies or interests. I'm not sure when something moves into a being passion?

I think the thing I used to have that could be a passion was playing American Football. I started at 13 when my older brother started playing, reached a good level, at 24 I even captained England, but then it's a physical game and it took it's toll. A knee injury when I was 20 (that due to NHS being slow as hell, I didn't get properly dealt with) finally caught up with me about 8 years back now and I had to stop playing. Annoyingly, when I now look back at it, I don't think I appreciated what I had or perhaps didn't make the most of it.

I guess technology is a bit of a passion, mixed with a passion for making videos and a YouTube channel was the obvious thing for me. I do really enjoy that, even if it's not huge.

Due to the American Football, I've been going to the gym (sometimes a little off and on) for about 30 years, but I wouldn't say I even enjoy it, it's just something I know I need to do. Recently I've really gotten into cycling, but again, I don't know I could call it a passion.

I have a nice car and a nice bike, but both of the social elements of those have kind of fallen off recently and I don't think I could call them a passion, just something I enjoy riding/driving/making look nice.

Caporegime
Heath has a huge impact on how one feels and the extent to which one enjoys life. I'd focus on getting whatever's wrong better, though I assume you're already doing this!

Also Hugh Jackman is a professional actor being paid to come across all happy and enthusiastic. His reviews wouldn't be very good if he was all gloomy and dull! Don't assume that everyone who appears cheerful really is inside.

Back
Top Bottom