Do you have seperate money from your wife?

Associate
Separate bank accounts for the day to day stuff and joint accounts for savings.

Same here. Pays both go into seperate accounts, set amount goes out of those into savings per month. Mortgage comes from another account which we both pay half out of. Bit more complicated than necessary I guess but it works for us. Never had any problems along the lines of 'I paid for x now you need to pay for x' we both share the responsibilities equally.

Last edited:

FTM

FTM

Soldato
You are not alone, although (on this forum at least) we appear to a dying breed.....

I can't imagine doing everything separately, that would be just like dating your housemate.....

again couldnt have put it better..if you never truly commit why bother getting married

Soldato
I earn a lot more than my wife and so if I want to buy her or me an expensive gift I'd prefer to do so without an interrogation lol.

Permabanned
It's lines like this that annoy me, it comes across as anyone not adhering to your way of doing things isn't truly committed.
Yeah we are clearly not committed since we have separate bank accounts.....:rolleyes:

I hope people do not think that was what I was implying......how people define their relationships and the commitments they make to each other is a matter for them, I am only refering to how my wife and I feel works best for us and our marriage, not judging what others choose to do or how they conduct their marriage(s) or relationships. :)

Soldato
I'm uneasy about the idea of a joint account especially if the parties earn't different levels of income. I think I'd quickly become guilty of any large purchases - I know if I told my girlfriend that I'm spending £400 of her money on a TV she'd have my balls -, and resentment may creep in if they bought something I perceived as ridiculous with the joint money.

I think I'd have a joint account for bills, household expenses (something that a flatmate and I did - it was great, at the end of the tenancy we had hundreds left in it) and for joint purchases and keep a current account for myself.

That being said, I do expect these views to change when/if I get married and cohabit with my partner. I hope I'm allowed to be in this conversation...

Soldato
Funny that the ones with joint accounts are the ones attacking the people with separate accounts and the ones with separate accounts couldn't care less.

Suggesting not having joint accounts is a sign of a weak marriage/relationship or weak commitment is utterly laughable.

Jealous much? :p

Soldato
Funny that the ones with joint accounts are the ones attacking the people with separate accounts and the ones with separate accounts couldn't care less.

Suggesting not having joint accounts is a sign of a weak marriage/relationship or weak commitment is utterly laughable.

You don't eat from the same plate? :eek: Why not truly commit?? :confused: :p

Associate
All our money goes into a main account where bills etc come out of but we then transfer funds into another account for "spending money" again this is a shaired account but at least we know we arnt spendign money needed for bills.

My parents have seperate accounts and i find it strange when we go out the descussions they have about who is paying for what with who's money :), they are pretty wealthy (unlike me) and still moan over which one paid a £20 drinks bill or who got the change ?

Soldato
Of the people who have joint accounts, who is the main bread winner and by how much?

I say that as we're fully joint accounted. I earn about 10x what she does. I get abuse for spending money, which I find annoying as hell as I'm like, I went out there and worked for this! Why can't I spend what I like?

Causes some issues, I get bored and buy stuff. She gets angry. She said we'll have different accounts, I said fine (this won't happen as she would be well gutted ha)

We do OK though, when she pipes down a bit.

Permabanned

Nonsence. I haven't attacked anyone. Abd as for being jealous, jealous of what?

Soldato
If my gf's parents borrow money from each other then they will pay them back including the interest it would have earned if it had been in a savings account.

I can understand in one sense why they do it, but I still find it so strange especially as they have been married for 25 years.

Soldato
Joint + seperate accounts, however we decided to both have the same amount of personal each, each month so our actual deposit into the joint isnt equal.

Associate
My gf usually finds out she's got no money left when the cash machine doesn't let her withdraw anything. Combine that with direct debits that are late going out, she usually gets bank charges monthly.

Like hell am I putting my money in the same account as that! :p

Associate
Joint account which we both pay into, this pays all the bills, mortgage, food, gas.....

What we have left out of our wages goes into our own bank accounts and we do with it what we please.

No arguing over money, ever.

Back
Top Bottom