Do you have start stop system turned off?

Associate
I have a 16 plate VW Polo 1.4 TSI DSG and with the start/stop system, it seems to have an annoying hesitation after restarting but if I leave it a second or two after then its fine but pulling away is less than ideal in traffic or at a roundabout and was wondering do you have it turned off/disabled for the same reason?

Man of Honour
No I leave mine on, even if I wanted to turn it off I'd have to do it every time I started the engine which I definitely would forget to do 9/10.

Soldato
The wife's Fiat 500 has it, she only turns it off when it's either a very hot day and wants to keep the a/c at full chat, or when a very cold day and the car isn't completely warm yet.

I think we both try to anticipate the lights changing so there's no delay from clutch down restarting of engine, to moving with the traffic.

Soldato
No I leave mine on, even if I wanted to turn it off I'd have to do it every time I started the engine which I definitely would forget to do 9/10.

Same here, plus a length of wood which was resting on the dashboard, slipped down around 6 months ago and snapped off the buttom which toggles stop/start in mine, so now i don't have the option anyway :p

The implementation in my Alfa seems to work well though, whereas in my wifes Mercedes B Class, it seems to kick in at the worst possible time!

Soldato
Same. I hated it when I first got in in the previous car, but now am totally used to it so just let it do its own thing.

Soldato
The wife's Fiat 500 has it, she only turns it off when it's either a very hot day and wants to keep the a/c at full chat, or when a very cold day and the car isn't completely warm yet.

Same with my gf's Leon (1.6 TDI DSG). It doesn't seem very "graceful" when restarting though, but that might be because it's a diesel - I'm sure petrol variants I've driven with stop/start turn over much quicker and more seamlessly.

Associate
I turn it off in my 15 plate Ford KA as its not very conistent, and even causes a stall sometimes.

In my Skoda Kodiaq I tend to tap the accelerator to turn the engine back on if I have to pull out of a junction quickly in heavy traffic as otherwise the 1/2 second delay does make it tricky.

Associate
Ateca Cupra, on most of the time but turn off when in some built up areas or near a few roundabouts as it wants to "stop" whilst still slowing down approaching the roundabout

Soldato
It's a bit annoying in our works van a 16 plate VW Caddy, it takes just slightly too long to restart when in traffic but as I'd need to press the button each time I don't think I've ever actually turned it off i just get slightly annoyed each time it kicks in when waiting at a roundabout or the like.

Luckily as i live/work in the sticks traffic is few and far between so it's not a huge issue but if i lived and worked in a city it would do my head in.

Soldato
We have this in our new Kia Sorento, and I'm currently experimenting with it. I don't really have anything against these systems. Having the engine shut down automatically when stopped seems fine to me.

But I can't work out the implementation in the Kia. The car is an automatic, and it seems to shutdown the engine if you come to a stop for a certain period of time, with your foot on the brake. When you lift your foot off the brake, it restarts. But there's been a couple of times where I've been stopped at a junction with my foot on the brake, and then just as I was about to decide to pull out, the engine shut itself off - I literally lifted my foot off the brake at the exact second the stop/start system cut in. There was then a delay while it fired up again, which really wasn't helpful as I was just committing to pulling out of the junction. I feel like it would actually be better with a manual gearbox, so it would only shut down once the car was in the neutral and the clutch was up.

To add to the confusion, the car also has an "auto hold" option, where pressing the brake firmly locks the brakes on, so you can take your foot off the pedal and not creep. But this function has to be enabled each time you switch the engine on. It also seems to take only a slight increase in pedal pressure to activate, and I'm not sure if this also triggers the stop/start. What I'd really like is for the "auto hold" to be something which is always enabled, and which I activate by pressing the brake pedal much more firmly, and then it also triggers stop/start. That way, if I'm waiting at a junction with light brake pressure I know it wont shut down - whereas if I'm waiting at lights, I can press the brakes more firmly to have the car hold itself and shut down until I accelerate gain.

If anyone else with a Kia/Hyundai knows more about how the systems work, please shout (or perhaps I should just RTFM).

Associate
I have it turned off in my Leon as I rather it uses a little bit more fuel than put wear on the battery and starter motor but doesn’t it use more fuel if you only stopped for a few seconds? As I have read somewhere that it saves fuel if you are stopped for 5 seconds or more.

Soldato
I had it disabled on a 2016 vw passat by disconnecting the battery condition monitoring cable (for want of correct term) because it was so slow coming back on, maybe look into that? Like a tertiary cable connected to the battery. Although that was a company car so I didn't care too much if it was faulty etc.

Have it in the 320d now and its fine albeit a bit of a jolt sometimes going on or off, generally leave it on unless in stop start traffic when it can become annoying, or a queue coming up to a junction etc.

Soldato
Always turn it off. I control when the engine is off and not some poxy electronics with no clue wtf the road situation is thank you very much. I'll switch it on during the once or twice a year I might get stuck in stop-start traffic on the motorway, but other than that, eff right off !

Man of Honour
Always turn it off. I control when the engine is off and not some poxy electronics with no clue wtf the road situation is thank you very much. I'll switch it on during the once or twice a year I might get stuck in stop-start traffic on the motorway, but other than that, eff right off !

I leave mine on and experience absolutely no issues with it at all.

Soldato
I turn it off if I know I am in very slow traffic and I'll be only stopping for a few seconds before moving off again, like in very slow heavy city traffic, otherwise I leave it on for normal use, traffic lights etc.

Man of Honour
I turn it off if I know I am in very slow traffic and I'll be only stopping for a few seconds before moving off again, like in very slow heavy city traffic, otherwise I leave it on for normal use, traffic lights etc.

How can you honestly be bothered with micromanaging it like that? Unless you drive an auto you can achieve the same effect with the clutch anyway.

Soldato
How can you honestly be bothered with micromanaging it like that? Unless you drive an auto you can achieve the same effect with the clutch anyway.

You just press one button to turn it off? And it's only when leaving Manchester. Often it's 10/15 minutes of move a few feet, stop for 30 seconds, move a few feet, stop for 30 seconds up Bury New Road. Then once clear I press the button a second time to turn it back on. Easy peasy :)

Back
Top Bottom