Do you have start stop system turned off?

Soldato
Soldato
My mum's 2017 Tiguan is quite clever. It will shut off when coming to a stop a second or so early. Then if there is a car in front e.g. at traffic lights, if it starts to move off it will automatically fire up the engine even if my foot is still on the brake, I assume by using the ACC radar. Works very well really.
It's also a 1.4TSI (petrol) so very quick to start up again.

Man of Honour
You just press one button to turn it off? And it's only when leaving Manchester. Often it's 10/15 minutes of move a few feet, stop for 30 seconds, move a few feet, stop for 30 seconds up Bury New Road. Then once clear I press the button a second time to turn it back on. Easy peasy :)

Unless it's the dimmest system around it won't constantly stop start whilst crawling in traffic like that.

Soldato
Unless it's the dimmest system around it won't constantly stop start whilst crawling in traffic like that.

It's a Ford Fiesta :) on this car it will turn off the engine everytime you come to a stop and shift into Neutral, zero intelligence in it, granted I do sometimes just keep the clutch in, but I find it easier now to go into Neutral, handbrake on and wait for traffic to move again with start stop disabled. Plus when I get out of the car park straight into traffic like this, turning start stop off helps get the cabin up to temperature quicker. Wish it was more intelligent so as not to turn the engine off in crawling traffic, but sadly it does :(

Associate
Had one on my 2013 Octavia. Worked okay for the most part, but I ended up disabling it because I heard it can cause problems with the starter motor. I’m generally suspicious of most emissions related tech. Seems to cause more trouble than it’s worth.

Soldato
Typical 350ms stop-start restart time, from earlier discussion here, so, disable it,
when you want to go at a a roundabout, why eat your safety margin.

Man of Honour
Typical 350ms stop-start restart time, from earlier discussion here, so, disable it,

Because in the time it takes me to lift off the brake and onto the accelerator the engine has already restarted?

Man of Honour

If you need a 350ms extra safety margin pulling onto a roundabout then maybe it's time to look at your driving.

Soldato
For those saying it hurts batteries and starter motors, have you actually experienced this?

The wife's Fiat 500 is a 2012 and has had the battery replaced only once in the just over 8 years we've had it. That's not bad for a car that lives in stop start traffic and very rarely gets a run of longer than 25minutes.

The starter motor continues to work just fine too oddly enough...

Man of Honour
For those saying it hurts batteries and starter motors, have you actually experienced this?

The wife's Fiat 500 is a 2012 and has had the battery replaced only once in the just over 8 years we've had it. That's not bad for a car that lives in stop start traffic and very rarely gets a run of longer than 25minutes.

The starter motor continues to work just fine too oddly enough...

Mazda got quite clever with this, the stop-start doesn't rely on the battery or starter motor

Man of Honour
I'd have to turn it off every journey (not sure if I can get it turned off permanently). The car is a lease so I don't really care about any long term wear caused by it. But I wish it was a bit more intelligent. It will often stop the endine and then immediately start it again if it decides the battery drain is too high (such as having heated seats on). It should be intelligent enough to know not to stop in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom