Do you have start stop system turned off?

Soldato
I'm not following. do you mean cars that don't have starters or?
Mazda for instance doesn't use the starter to restart the car during start stop. It just pauses the piston at the correct timing then injects fuel and sparks.
So would you still class it as not worth it.

Caporegime
Mazda for instance doesn't use the starter to restart the car during start stop. It just pauses the piston at the correct timing then injects fuel and sparks.
So would you still class it as not worth it.

Do they? That's quite novel! I wasn't aware of that system. I've never said it wasn't worth it...

Soldato
I got used to the start/stop on my friends 1 series diesel BMW and I now have it on my Mazda 6 petrol and had no issues with it at all, so I leave it on all the time.

Question though : When learning to drive in the 80's I was always told to not sit at lights/junction with my foot depressed on the clutch for any length of time as it "wore the clutch springs out". Now, was this true even then, does it still count for today or was it always a load of bull that I've just believed all this time! :p

I'm asking because this start/stop has brought the issue up, as sometimes it is preferable to keep the clutch depressed so it doesn't kick in, but I don't like doing it as it goes against what I've always thought.

Soldato
I got used to the start/stop on my friends 1 series diesel BMW and I now have it on my Mazda 6 petrol and had no issues with it at all, so I leave it on all the time.

Question though : When learning to drive in the 80's I was always told to not sit at lights/junction with my foot depressed on the clutch for any length of time as it "wore the clutch springs out". Now, was this true even then, does it still count for today or was it always a load of bull that I've just believed all this time! :p

I'm asking because this start/stop has brought the issue up, as sometimes it is preferable to keep the clutch depressed so it doesn't kick in, but I don't like doing it as it goes against what I've always thought.

Sitting with the clutch depressed for long period can cause extra wear to parts of the clutch (see 'throw out bearing'), yes. However, I was always taught that it's more of s safety issue; all it takes is your foot to slip off the clutch, perhaps if someone shunts you in a queue of traffic, and your car could unintentionally accelerate. It's a bad habit and one that I must say I'm guilty of quite a lot.

But then, in most automatics these days, they specifically state that when waiting in traffic, you should keep the transmission in Drive and keep your foot on the brake - which, from a safety perspective, is pretty much the same as keep a manual car in gear with the clutch depressed - it only takes your foot coming off the pedal to cause the car to be under power.

citation needed.

This could be his family motto.

Soldato
This could be his family motto.
maybe - after reading his comment, had read this -

an, albeit, 2018 analysis, suggesting it's/ss benefit is currently disguised by manufacturers,
accused of disabling it during wltp tests, to artificially inflate 2020' WLTP's, to make subsequent reduction targets easier - lol
also, that wltp test does not, anyway, have enough stop-start, to make results representative for average jo
https://www.transportenvironment.org/sites/te/files/Ending the CO2 cheating_FINAL 290818.pdf
some complex game playing.

Soldato
Sitting with the clutch depressed for long period can cause extra wear to parts of the clutch (see 'throw out bearing'), yes. However, I was always taught that it's more of s safety issue; all it takes is your foot to slip off the clutch, perhaps if someone shunts you in a queue of traffic, and your car could unintentionally accelerate. It's a bad habit and one that I must say I'm guilty of quite a lot.

But then, in most automatics these days, they specifically state that when waiting in traffic, you should keep the transmission in Drive and keep your foot on the brake - which, from a safety perspective, is pretty much the same as keep a manual car in gear with the clutch depressed - it only takes your foot coming off the pedal to cause the car to be under power.

Cheers, yea the safety aspect was also part of the instruction, for exactly the same reason.

Think I'll carry on as I am and not unduly worry the odd time if I do keep the clutch depressed for a short period! I did read previously that it's about 6 secs to get the benefit of the Start/Stop between what fuel is saved and what's used to restart.

Back
Top Bottom