Poll: Do you leave the tap running while you're brushing your teeth?

Do you leave the tap running while you're brushing your teeth?

• Yes

Votes: 165 39.0%
  • No

Votes: 258 61.0%

• Total voters
Soldato
I used to ...but have changed my ways

With all the resource wastage propaganda recently, i'll admit i've started turning the tap off after quickly wetting my toothbrush before applying toothpaste. Always used to leave it running though, so dread to think of the water wastage over the years. Do get caught out by bad habits every now and then though.

Soldato
I am aware of that, so brush, rinse, wait 15, and mouthwash is fine, as the mouthwash will do the flouride/etc thang.

Surely the point of waiting 15 minutes would be to leave the toothpaste in? Surely it should be brush, spit, wait 15, mouthwash.

Am I the only one who fills a cup with water to use to rinse my mouth?

Save yourself the cup of water. You're not supposed to rinse :)

Soldato
Yes but when I catch myself I turn it off, I’m normally half asleep when I clean them in the morning.

To be fair I’m on a meter and I normally just let it drip so it’s not a huge waste.

Soldato
no

additionally brushing your teeth in the shower seems odd? surely that is wasting 3-4 mins worth of high pressure water unless you wash your hair etc with one hand?

No, also why would you want to water down the toothpaste?

I wet the toothbrush before brushing. just feels right?:p

Last edited:
Soldato
No.
Anyone who does is an idiot.

Quite.
You shouldn't even be rinsing after you've brushed, you spit out the waste, and leave it, so the fluoride can help remineralise the teeth, no point washing it away.
Brush teeth, rinse off the brush after, not your mouth, no need for water before. Tap needs to be on for all of 3 seconds.

Caporegime
I was at the gym this morning, and when I came out of the shower, there was a chap brushing his teeth at the sink. I noticed that he had the tap running full blast, but was looking in the mirror as he brushed.

It got me thinking - how many people do this? I rinse my toothbrush, turn off tap, apply toothpaste, brush teeth and then rinse again when finished.

What about you?
I do it not full blast, but I do it.

You know how much water is lost to leaks in all of the underground pipes? my tap running for a few minutes ain't nothing in comparison

Back
Top Bottom