do you leave your computer switched on 24/7

Associate
It's my Plex server as well as my main gaming PC so it's on 24/7. Used to have a separate server for that stuff so the gaming PC was only on as required, but when the server broke I didn't see a lot of point in the initial outlay to maybe make it back over a couple of years on power consumption.

Ree

Ree

Associate
nope, only time it's left on overnight is if i have a big download going that i cant be bothered waiting on so makes sense to do it then.

Associate
No always turn off... last time my pc was on 24/7 was when I was trying to download a movie from limewire on a 56k connection :p

Soldato
Yup, had mine on 24/7 for 5+ years now, means I can access it by remote while not at home, and overnight I can run mining software on it for free heating.

*EDIT*

It's actually pretty interesting to see the way this thread is going counter to the usual direction, presumably due to being in GD and not the computing sections of the site

Soldato
I can't imagine leaving it on idle 24/7 would use too much power would it? Especially if you closed email apps and had screens turns off after x amount of time, what else would it be doing that required much energy?
A modern gaming PC idling with 1 GPU shoud use around 25-50W from the wall. For older ones and mutil gpu it can go to 50-100W or more for extreme examples.

My PC is on 24/7 and normally doing something, but my laptop isn't as that boots in around 10 sec or less.

Soldato
When I turn it on it's on until I go to bed. I did use to leave it on 24/7 but for a few years now I've been switching it off and I've got my brother who I live with to finally start turning his off during the day while he's at work but he leaves it on when he sleeps. He has broken sleep though so is on and off a few times during night hours so I don't pester him about that too much. Just turning it off when he's at work has had a noticeable impact on energy consumption.

Caporegime
Only when I need it.
Steam stream wakes it up.
Any media streaming requests wake it Up.

Its on standby 24/7 but only on for an hour ish a day.

Seeing as it only takes 10s to boot and start streaming games or video no need to have it on 24/7

Soldato
Only gets switched on when used.

Our NAS is on depending on the time. I have it come on in the evenings during the week and all day at weekends. It switches off over night once the routine backups are done. I see no point in having it on when it is not being used.

The only thing on all the time is the router/switch.

Back
Top Bottom