Do you need an isolator switch for an induction hob that plugs in?

Soldato
We just got a Bosch induction hob that plugs in using a normal fused plug.

The plug is in the wall behind some drawers underneath the hob, this means it’s not easy to access.

Do we need an isolator switch for this for safety in the event of fire, water spillage or easy cleaning?

Our old hob in our old house was normal electric and had an isolator switch nearby, not sure how it was wired in though.

I’m guessing because the new one uses a fused plug it’s safe, as it would just trip the switch or blow the fuse if something happened?

Should we be asking our electrician to add an easily accessible isolator switch or not?

The wall it backs up against connects to the garage, so we could potentially drill through if necessary.

What do you think?

Soldato
If it has a plug, it should be fine. As you say it will have a fuse in that should blow if anything bad happens.

Obviously the ideal scenario would be an isolator, but it isn’t completely necessary really.

Soldato
As long as the oven fuse rating is less than/the same as what your plug socket wire gauge is rated for you'll be fine.

In practice this shouldn't be an issue as the MCB for that circuit will trip if the draw exceeds the rating for that circuits wiring.

Soldato
Should be fine - the hob would have electrical regulatory approval.

Both fixed and plugs circuits go back to the fuse box and trip in an overload/short circuit.

Soldato
even though it is an induction, from a safety perspective, especially if you have children, useful to be able to make dam sure it is off,
have you never left a ring on ?
- but the habit to always switch off at isolator is a double protection, when you have finished cooking, going away.

Soldato
Technically you don't need one, however I'd generally install with one unless there was serious objection to having one.

I once pulled up a job where an isolator switch had been installed behind a 1m wide pan drawer and was overrulled by an electrical consulatant who told me that isolator for domestic cooking applainces was not required to provide emergency switching and so the requirements of assessibility for that did not apply.

Back
Top Bottom