• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Do you play games that melt your system? State your GPU and temps for the whole system.

Soldato
I had temps like this on my 3600 with the stock cooler.

Changed to a nd15 massive cooler and it barely broke 65 degrees with the fan running slow.

The worst contributor to temperature for me is my 3080ti Fe. The blower cooler adds lots of hot air to the case and I had to increase case fan speed the compensate.

Could have createded a negative air setup in your case by tweaking the fans, would automatically push air out and suck more fresh cooler air in, without changing speeds :)

Soldato
My CPU Cooler is the Arctic Esports Duo, it runs at 0 RPM below 60c.
Ramps up heavily around 75c.

Both the GPU and CPU idle with zero fan.

Also in a small ITX case...

If you would like to help me out: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/needing-a-cpu-cooler-for-5600x.18948394/

The issue here probably isn't so much the cooler, but using a Small case, (I did scan but didnt see the case mentioned) you just wont have enough fans to draw enough air through the case for an air cooled CPU & GPU when gaming. Didn't clock which 3070 you have but an AIB will draw and dump the air into the case, and an FE whilst dumping out the back will need a decent feed of cool air. Same as the CPU cooler. Then they both fight for cool air. You can change the cooler to whatever you want but if it's not getting the air from the case intakes and heat exhausted - a different cooler wont make much difference.

Plus if your CPU is not cooling until it hits 60 degrees and you have fans on zero, the latent heat will just heat all the materials in the case so that when you start to game the case latent temp is already high. How warm do you have your household temp, is there a radiator close to the PC in the room, is the case in a dead space regarding air circulation?

You need to get more air in and out of the case. Dont have fans at zero until such a high temp as it just warms the case and everything in it. Find the idle temp of your case with fans running at a noise friendly speed and set the idle to just above that (this will change with room temp/time of year) - fans will idle until you start gaming. 60 degrees is too high when you could have tehm on low RPM removing heat build up from idle. Case fans - for small ITX you gonna need some high cf/m fans, which = high rpm = noise. 120mm fans too at only 1200rpm - Dunno what they are replacing but if you only have 2 as intake then that wont draw enough air for a 5800X on air and a 3070 in a small ITX. Not even 3 I'd imagine. 1.5 fans for each.

I'd imagine also the 5800X will be hotter than a 3600X as it has more cores on the die and thus more heat to expel from the same area.

Be interested to see how you get on. I'd have changed to a larger case though, but may have not been an option for yourself. I'd have probabaly got a desk fan pointing at the front of it to start off with to help push air in - this would have shown whether enough air is getting in or not. If it was, it wouldn't have made much difference.

Good luck

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Sounds like poor airflow and small case is the chief issue. My 3600 hits 65c on an aging AIO but that's max. I dont think the cooler you have on the CPU is that bad, would be surprised if the switch netted you much difference from scythe considering how much they will cost.

Seems identical prognosis. :D

The issue here probably isn't so much the cooler, but using a Small case, (I did scan but didnt see the case mentioned) you just wont have enough fans to draw enough air through the case for an air cooled CPU & GPU when gaming. Didn't clock which 3070 you have but an AIB will draw and dump the air into the case, and an FE whilst dumping out the back will need a decent feed of cool air. Same as the CPU cooler. Then they both fight for cool air. You can change the cooler to whatever you want but if it's not getting the air from the case intakes and heat exhausted - a different cooler wont make much difference.

Permabanned
OP
Well 5800X is installed just fine.
Just cannot use the PC until Microsoft changes my alternate email to the one I asked for.

I changed it on 2/2/2022 apparently it takes 30 days and this is not indicated when changing security information.

The processor change triggers Windows 11 to require a new pin so am locked out for now.

A heads up for anyone else. Shaaaartt Microtoss.

Using my phone...

Permabanned
OP
Almost forgot I took a pic of them side by side.

IMG-20220302-193325.jpg

Permabanned
OP
So I reinstalled windows 11, I happened to buy a 5800X that did not come with a stock cooler so have reused the Esports Duo and you may not believe this but the numbers don't lie...

5600x CPU-Z temp.

Untitled.png

5800x CPU-Z temp. The fan speed hit maximum but once it dropped from 72c to 69c the fans dropped speed and settled the CPU at 70.4c

Untitled.png

Permabanned
OP
I think only 5600X comes with a cooler this gen, my 5800X certainly didn't :)
I was scared when I got home and picked the package up, it felt like a feather.. I was thinking, I have been done...

Nope there is the official Ryzen 7 5800x box, then I thought... oh so no cooler?!? :rolleyes: :cry:

Permabanned
OP
Is it using the same "relaxed fan curve"?
Uhm the CPU-Z temp test was with fans on maximum, the 5800x is using the default MSI fan curve.

Under Prime 95 the 5800x hit 87.2c maximum, the 5600x outright fails even with fans on max.

Do me and others a favor and don't forget to read properly. I linked my other thread, there is info in there too.

I am glad I have the Fuma 2 on it's way and my Noctua fans are due today.

Already the 5800x is a vastly better chip in terms of efficiency and cooling, it seems my 5600x is just perhaps not connected correctly from IHS to the die or something.

Soldato
Uhm the CPU-Z temp test was with fans on maximum, the 5800x is using the default MSI fan curve.

Under Prime 95 the 5800x hit 87.2c maximum, the 5600x outright fails even with fans on max.

Do me and others a favor and don't forget to read properly. I linked my other thread, there is info in there too.

I am glad I have the Fuma 2 on it's way and my Noctua fans are due today.

Already the 5800x is a vastly better chip in terms of efficiency and cooling, it seems my 5600x is just perhaps not connected correctly from IHS to the die or something.

I don't think running the CPU-Z bench will be the same as 'melted via gaming'. Gaming will be the one when the GPU is dumping into the case/sucking air in competition with the CPU. You need to run the GPU & the CPU to get the gaming temps.

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
I don't think running the CPU-Z bench will be the same as 'melted via gaming' as the bench only runs for a short time on the CPU. Gaming will be the one when the GPU is dumping into the case/sucking air in competition with the CPU. You need to run the GPU & the CPU to get the gaming temps.
I mentioned CPU-Z was representative of Crysis 3 temps, just that with the fans on max it cut them by 10c on the 5600x.

I will see if I can get Crysis 3 up and running, I need to login to XBOX app etc.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom