Do you power off your PC?

Soldato
Stuck in their ways when it took ages to start up, these days I can't think of many reasons not to turn it off.

This, i remember using hibernate all the time, but since SSDs were invented they start up in just as quick as it takes to resume from hibernation.

Soldato
shutdown if being left for more than a few hours.

unless i'm getting it to do something specific, in which case it gets left on until windows update decides to screw up whatever work it's doing by restarting to install updates.

Soldato
Only shut down for updates, so it's sleep/hibernate 99% of the time.

Main reason (especially on my work machine) is that I have a bunch of tabs and applications open that I use daily, so opening them all every morning would waste quite a bit of time.

Soldato
It's been 15-20 seconds ever since SATA SSDs were a thing anyway really. nothing to so with NVMe!

Just bear in mind that you are still putting initial stresses through various components at first boot up. Which is why drives etc tend to last longer when left constantly on running at a constant temperature.

I have not added up the yearly cost of leaving an efficient PC running all day though but I cannot imagine the cost being significant given the wattage is at most double digits around 20-30 watts for those with higher end GPUs. Most people leave a 60 watt lightbulb on all night for example.

Leaving a PC on, that uses 30 watts minimum, for 24hrs a day is at least of 5 units a week. To put that in context, that would be 10% of my electricity bill.

As to 60 watt bulbs, unless you've got a large stash of them from a few years ago you cannot get bulbs that use that actual amount of power any more, and I doubt many people leave something that bright on all night.

Soldato
Stuck in their ways when it took ages to start up, these days I can't think of many reasons not to turn it off.

That would be me, on my old system, it would take around 8 minutes for Windows 10 to boot up and finish loading!

I'd power it on, and go make a cup of coffee in the meantime! :p

This was on a PC that hadn't had a clean install for years, though!

So obviously I used the sleep function.

My new PC boots up and is fully loaded in 30 seconds or less, so I really should just turn it off and on again, but old habits die hard.

Soldato
Hibernate when not in use. No reason at all to keep it running. Even the stress when turning it on depends on how often you use the computer vs leaving it running always.

Underboss
Bat file with a switch to shut it down 3mins after that runs with a nightly task scheduler to run the .bat file at 23:00 each night.

Saves me trying to remember if I turned it off if I'm in bed.

Caporegime
I put mine in sleep mode

how much does an idle pc use these days anyway? I bet it's not much more than a couple of light bulbs

Soldato
Oh if we're talking about during the day I'd just leave it on after the first time it's switched on...it'll go in to sleep after whatever the default is for Win 10

my PC is ancient (E8400 cpu) albeit with an SSD but I've noticed the times it's been left to sleep overnight it's much more likely to get the 'your pc ran in to a problem and needs to restart' screen the next day on 1st 'try'

Permabanned
Wealth has little to do with it. You can be Jeff Bezos and still be concerned about the price of a bill especially if there is a known way of reducing it.
That's not a 'little luxury' it's just a terrible take.

To be fair they are all actually doing amateur radio stuff 24 / 7 and I am certainly not wealthy. It may seem extravagant , but it's an interesting hobby and I am very frugal in other ways. I admit I am certainly not "Green" though and still use incandescent light bulbs in my office as I just prefer the light from them...

Associate
Gets shut down at night and if I go out, idle uses 100w and while not a significant expense just feels like an aweful waste for the sake of waiting 30 seconds for it to boot the next day. Also it's not then drawing in dust 24/7 so doesn't need cleaning as often.

Soldato
Power off. Unless theres something I'm working on that cannot be shut down as I'd lose the place in which case its sleep mode it amazes me how wasteful people are of energy, like food. It boots in seconds anyway

Back
Top Bottom