Do you power off your PC?

Soldato
Power on first thing in the morning, during the day it sleeps after 30 mins, then power off last thing at night. Seems the best way, then I'm not hanging about for 30 seconds for it to boot if I have been away from it for any length of time during the day.

Soldato
Feel like this needs a poll.

I shut mine down. Doesn't take long to boot and I've always had issues in the past with waking from sleep anyway.

Soldato
I bought a plug that measures energy output, so I can see the PC uses around 80-90W just at idle. I used to leave it on during the day while WFH, just with Spotify or occasionally YouTube on. I've started keeping it shut down, or a minimum sleeping, during the day when I'm not specifically gaming on my lunch etc., and instead use my MacBook which is using barely 10W running Apple Music or whatever.

Otherwise in the evening/night time it's shutdown unless I'm gaming.

Last edited:
Soldato
If I'm not using it, I'll turn it off. If I'm in the middle of some work and I need to go out and take the dog for a walk I'll just pop it in sleep as I'm too lazy to save what I have open

Windows boots up fast enough these days I don't understand people who leave them on all the time

Permabanned
Mine stays on pretty much all the time but have all the power saving features on so goes to sleep after 5mins. Just a lot more convenient to press a key on keyboard and resume where I left off.

How much power do PCs usually use in sleep mode?

Don
I switch mine off but leave the nic on so I can magic packet it back on if needed

However, I leave all my servers on 24x7 so I doubt my PC being switched off really makes a huge difference :p

Soldato
No, this is what I work hard for, so I don't need to worry about things like that, but I appreciate some people, through no fault of their own, have to watch the pennies. Call it one of my little luxuries, plus I am of the opinion most complex electronic gizmos fail at on / off time rather than left running.

I am in the bracket of the population who is fortunate enough not to worry about if I can afford to eat or heat my home that week, but I still turn off at the plug when done. I don't like to be wasteful.

Soldato
I always shut mine off. It takes like 4 seconds to be in windows. What’s the point of me keeping it on wasting electricity.

Associate
Mine stays on 24/7 all year round even if I go on holiday abroad, only thing that gets turned off is my monitors.

Don't use sleep modes or hibernate either. Only ever gets turned off for upgrades or a quick dusting.

Don
Out of interest, those saying that their pc boots up in seconds, is that from totally off and 4 seconds from pressing the power button or is that time from after the UEFI/BIOS loading etc?

Stone cold powered off so including quickboot etc.. However, it can depend on windows, sometimes it takes longer if microsoft have ruined things by releasing a terribad update. But usually get to the password prompt in 4-5 seconds.

Soldato
Mine stays on 24/7 all year round even if I go on holiday abroad, only thing that gets turned off is my monitors.

Don't use sleep modes or hibernate either. Only ever gets turned off for upgrades or a quick dusting.

Just seems wasteful to me? Unless you are doing something specific with it, why run it when you aren’t even in the country.

Back
Top Bottom