Do you power off your PC?

Caporegime
Just seems wasteful to me? Unless you are doing something specific with it, why run it when you aren’t even in the country.
it's probably about 60 watts. meanwhile some guy is spending god knows what heating his whole mansion, outdoor pool or illuminating his garden/house walls

Soldato
it's probably about 60 watts. meanwhile some guy is spending god knows what heating his whole mansion, outdoor pool or illuminating his garden/house walls

Sure, but you are still paying for it. And multiply that by hundreds of thousands of people and it soon adds up to a lot of wasted energy. Just seems odd to me. It’s like leaving a tap running.

Caporegime
Sure, but you are still paying for it. And multiply that by hundreds of thousands of people and it soon adds up to a lot of wasted energy. Just seems odd to me. It’s like leaving a tap running.

it's about £14 a year? should he feel guilty when mr millionaire can happily spend that times a few thousand driving his yacht a few inches

tbh if my water company refused to install a meter I'd probably leave the tap running 24/7 all of them

Soldato
it's about £14 a year? should he feel guilty when mr millionaire can happily spend that times a few thousand driving his yacht a few inches

tbh if my water company refused to install a meter I'd probably leave the tap running 24/7 all of them

What has it got to do with what anyone else is doing? Seems like a very strange perspective. I don’t leave my car running when I’m not using it, just because the bloke down the road has a bigger house than me.

Soldato

my parents got a fountain thing for the cat once...the sound of constant running water was too much, it got binned....good luck leaving all the taps on :p

Soldato
In order to prolong the life of the hard drive in my PC, I don't power off my PC and remove any power plan settings that turn off the hard drive after a set period of inactivity.

I've been at the receiving end of nearly losing my data due to powering a hard drive down. It was at that very moment I realised my backups were inadequate and (probably by pure chance) the freezer trick worked for me. While another hard drive was on order, I copied everything off that drive and kept it spinning until it's replacement arrived and superseded it.

Soldato
Yes. Every time I want it use it I start it up and when I'm done I power it down. Like every single other electrical item apart from the fridge, freezer and boiler.

Seems a complete waste if energy to leave it on unless it's mining or downing something productive

Associate
Yes. Every time I want it use it I start it up and when I'm done I power it down. Like every single other electrical item apart from the fridge, freezer and boiler.

Seems a complete waste if energy to leave it on unless it's mining or downing something productive
The energy on standby is 1W for me and probably for others. 1W. That is 24 Wh per day. A typical UK energy residence is 10,000 Wh per day.

Associate
With the ability to "update and shutdown" Windows automatically, and manual backups happily running in the background, not shutting down offers me no benefits.

Though i sleep it if i've got several windows going on and i'm just having dinner etc.

Back
Top Bottom