Do you power off your PC?

Soldato
OP
‘Vampire devices’ cost UK households £147 a year

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-61235367

It may be convenient to leave the television on standby and wake it up with a press of a button on a remote - but it costs £24.61 per year, the research suggests, plus a further £23.10 for a set-top box, such as from Sky or Virgin Media.

Games consoles on standby work out at an average of £12.17, while computers could cost about £11.22.

And there's more:

• Microwave: £16.37
  • Shower: £9.80
  • Washing machine: £4.73
  • Printer: £3.81
  • Phone charger: £1.26

Pretty surprised at the Microwave on standby, I wrongly thought they used highly efficient switch-mode power supplys.

Soldato
All switches turned off at the wall for unused appliances including computers.

Exceptions:
  • DAB radio alarm clock
  • Oven timer clock.
  • Hdd recorder if a late night recording is timed.
  • Telephone holder for landlines.

Soldato
i use sleep mode since it keeps everything in ram its instant on and all apps which are in ram cache run super quick. my ram is usually full of cached stuff so very snappy performance when using sleep.

Associate
I don't (meaning I power it off like once a fortnight or month for updates or something) but probably will. I often find it woken up with keyboard lights lit and just the monitor off when I wake up in the morning, despite having put the computer properly to sleep before going to bed myself. So I think I'm going to begin to switch it off properly when I go to bed or leave the house.

Associate
I'd love that too but my PC and my modem/router are in different rooms. One of my abandoned projects was to put the PC in the same room and just use longer cables. But that room is bedroom, and I don't want any fans ramping up on me when I'm in bed, even napping during the day, under any circumstances. And it's great not to have a computer in your bedroom.

Soldato
Yes, but mainly as I have a single switch that turns off the PC and the mountain of peripherals attached that also have their own power supply, i.e. each items parasitic drain is low, but as a whole it adds up.

Me too, if a powered off PSU still has enough power draw to charge mobile devices I figure its adding up...

Caporegime
No, it makes next to no noise and is in use day and night. When idle it throttles down to a few hundred mhz anyway and all but the GPU use a couple of watts of idle power whilst the GPU sits around 18 watts.

Mine stays on over night as well, but with the electricty prices going through the roof I'm thinking of just getting a 50w tower fan through the night while I sleep instead. I can't sleep without a "fan" noise in my bedroom, been that way since I was a kid!

How much does a PC generally use being left on over night, with monitor turned off?

Soldato
Me too, if a powered off PSU still has enough power draw to charge mobile devices I figure its adding up...
I kind of undo part of any power saving by having a few Smartthings sockets that monitor power as well as allow me to remotely power on/off things.. For my PC/Periphs, it was something like 18 watts! but hardly surprising, I have 2 USB hubs, a DAC/AMP for the speakers, monitor, PC, extender for the VR headset, etc, etc..

Mine stays on over night as well, but with the electricty prices going through the roof I'm thinking of just getting a 50w tower fan through the night while I sleep instead. I can't sleep without a "fan" noise in my bedroom, been that way since I was a kid!

How much does a PC generally use being left on over night, with monitor turned off?
For me, 18 watts if left on 24/7 would be £63 a year.. (at todays crazy 40p/kWh) Not a huge amount but it takes 1 second to turn the switch off.
If left in 'sleep', it keeps the USB hubs more alive, the power draw is 34 watts in total for everything or £120 a year..

Last edited:
Caporegime
I kind of undo part of any power saving by having a few Smartthings sockets that monitor power as well as allow me to remotely power on/off things.. For my PC/Periphs, it was something like 18 watts! but hardly surprising, I have 2 USB hubs, a DAC/AMP for the speakers, monitor, PC, extender for the VR headset, etc, etc..

For me, 18 watts if left on 24/7 would be £63 a year.. (at todays crazy 40p/kWh) Not a huge amount but it takes 1 second to turn the switch off.
If left in 'sleep', it keeps the USB hubs more alive, the power draw is 34 watts in total for everything or £120 a year..

So a PC left on (idle) uses less leccy than a 50W fan? wow!

Back
Top Bottom