Do you power off your PC?

Soldato
So a PC left on (idle) uses less leccy than a 50W fan? wow!

Left on 'idle' is a little vague..
Here's a good overview:

My server is not so great.. it's on 24/7 running everything, that is currently idling at 70w (with a stack of HDDs and running lots of Apps in UNRAID).., at todays rates that's £245 a year!

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
So a PC left on (idle) uses less leccy than a 50W fan? wow!
Depends on the P C. A more modern rig will throttle down to speeds that draw less than 1 watt for example when idle from the CPU, other components will vary but essentially they're pretty efficient these days providing the user has set up power settings in the BIOS and OS correctly.

Soldato
Mine stays on over night as well, but with the electricty prices going through the roof I'm thinking of just getting a 50w tower fan through the night while I sleep instead. I can't sleep without a "fan" noise in my bedroom, been that way since I was a kid!

How much does a PC generally use being left on over night, with monitor turned off?

Have you tried a cheap air purifier, it's just a fan running through a filter at the end of the day. Mine in night mode draws about 7w but gives a bit of background noise.

Soldato
I'd say 90% of crashes happen when my PC is trying to wake up from sleep...any windows version on any pc that I can remember, some worse than others tho

Soldato
I have two Dell SFF PC's that are in 24/7 as they do my router, cctv, and NAS duties. But they probably use around 40w at idle between the pair of them so not a huge cost.

Everything else gets turned off though. Sometimes my gaming rigs don't get used from one week to the next. Use laptop daily and that boots in seconds so no need to leave it on or even put it to sleep.

Soldato
I find it's quicker to boot from cold than hibernate. Not done that since Vista days.
For me I dont care about boot time, but the fact my current state of my desktop is preserved.

It might take 30 seconds to boot, but it might also take 10 minutes to reopen everything back to how it was manually, the reason I was keeping the PC on 24/7 before.

My system does recover from hibernate faster than a cold boot though, it also shuts down about the same speed, probably due to using NVME nand storage, I expect hibernation benefits from it greatly.

Soldato
For me I dont care about boot time, but the fact my current state of my desktop is preserved.

It might take 30 seconds to boot, but it might also take 10 minutes to reopen everything back to how it was manually, the reason I was keeping the PC on 24/7 before.

My system does recover from hibernate faster than a cold boot though, it also shuts down about the same speed, probably due to using NVME nand storage, I expect hibernation benefits from it greatly.

That’s fair. There is an option in windows to reopen stuff from the previous session, not sure how well it works. It could save a lot of unnecessary writes to nand though.

Soldato
That’s fair. There is an option in windows to reopen stuff from the previous session, not sure how well it works. It could save a lot of unnecessary writes to nand though.
Yeah I did check the host writes on smart, but seems to be barely different to normal, keeping the PC up 24/7 has huge nand writes anyway because windows logs so much data, its very verbose so I do wonder if the shutting it down is compensating for the hibernation file writes.

Soldato
I shut down and turn it off at the plug these days.

Between the PC with its perpetual RGB that will not turn off even when set to off (just annoying mostly), laptop charger, two monitors, motorised desk and a few other bits, the whole set up must run a fair few watts from the wall just plugged in and switched off.

Back
Top Bottom