Do you service your car yourself?

Soldato
I don't have a clue what i'm looking at in other areas, so for the sake of the extra £100 a year i take it to the garage round the corner so they can give it a once over.

This. Most of us dont see the underneath of cars day in and day out, so a visual inspection by a professional is well worth it in my view.

Soldato
I tend to do them myself, i did an oil change on of my wifes car before i went to work 2 weeks ago as it only takes 30-40 mins.

I just keep all the receipts and make a note of the mileage, not had an issue when selling anything on yet but then usually when i'm coming to sell any of our cars they're not worth much anyway.

Caporegime
It’s excessive, it’s like I can mow my lawn every day but why would I want to?

If you care about the car that much surely you would also take it to the garage for a service too for a stamp as well.

No as you can't trust a lot of garages these days.

Stamps don't mean much to me unless it's a main dealer.

I get an old geezer who runs a garage to do the bmw. Once a year. I provide all the parts and fluids he provides the Labour.

On the Lexus as it's under warranty it's service and mot is done by main dealer as a package deal. If anything was to break not covered by warranty I fix myself.

Caporegime
Because you want your car to last. Service my Mini myself every 6/8k. A test I saw once said frequency was more important than the quality of oil you used.

Every 10k miles or once a year.

Most oils these days are longlife and therefore rated to last anywhere between 20 to 60k.

As in gearbox fluid is once every 60k. Diff fluid once every 40k. Brake fluid should be done yearly as it absorbs water.

Engine oil every 6k is excessive unless you only do 3k miles a year.

Soldato
Most oils these days are longlife and therefore rated to last anywhere between 20 to 60k.

20k to 60k, are you sure about that? Oil gets dirty just through normal use, the dirt affects the viscosity. I'd imagine after 60k miles in an engine, the oil would resemble treacle.

Brake fluid should be done yearly as it absorbs water.

I thought guidelines for brake fluid changes were every 2 years, not that I expect many cars to get regular brake fluid changes. I expect brake and power steering fluid changes in general are massively neglected.

Most people's idea of a 'full service' is oil, air filter and spark plugs.

Soldato
I replaced my oil filter with a screw-on thread so that I can attach a new 5L can of oil every week. Bam. Constant supply of fresh oil.

On a more serious note, I have the yearly service done at Ford partly to keep up the FFSH and partly because I get European breakdown cover included, although I'm not sure if the latter is still offered, so I'm starting to wonder if I should just save the cash and do it myself. I don't plan on getting rid of the car any time soon, and I have a spreadsheet and receipts showing servicing and any consumables or repairs (I do these myself).

Changing the oil every 2-3k is a ridiculous waste of time and money unless it's a track car.

Man of Honour
20k to 60k, are you sure about that? Oil gets dirty just through normal use, the dirt affects the viscosity. I'd imagine after 60k miles in an engine, the oil would resemble treacle.

With modern synthetic oils the recommendation is usually 5-10K, studies have generally indicated that around 18K the performance/quality of the oil tends to start dropping off sharply with an increase in the chance of serious problems.

But as I said in another thread recently some of my family's cars have been taken on by other family and run into the ground once they get old doing like another 50-60K without bothering with an oil change and that is rarely the cause of what finally scraps them - not that I would recommend leaving it that long between oil changes.

Personally I have a main dealer do a full service rather than mess about with it myself (bit expensive but one near me does a very good job and replaces a lot of consumable bits for the money as part of the service).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom