• I have a landline and I have a phone plugged in

Votes: 33 44.0%
  • I have a landline but no phone plugged in

Votes: 23 30.7%
  • I do not have a landline

Votes: 19 25.3%

• Total voters
Caporegime
My mum uses it to ring me from abroad. I always use land line when making calls from home for things like insurance etc.

Mobile phones are horrible ergonomically to hold when on a long conversation. Much better to have a decent phone against your ear. Not a fan of things like airpods either.

So you have never watched all the great tv series’s that everyone watches? What about news channels? And how do you spend all that time then? The average Joe watches several hours of tv a week for entertainment, news and education.

Genuinely intrigued...

News - I read the BBC and Reuters on the net.

I've got films on DVD and blu-ray which I play on the computer.

I get too much screen time as it is, as I use a computer at work, then I go home and use my computer there too.

Soldato
I still have a landline but only because it came with my Virgin package and made it cheaper. Have never plugged a phone into it, when the installer came to do it, I even told him not to bother but he was like are you sure, you should let me, it'll take five minutes, a rare case of an installer who really wanted to do a good job and not just get in and out as quickly as possible.

Soldato
Landline yes, and I actually use it a lot.

Historically I have always had a landline because I am self employed and Only having a mobile for customer contact makes you look like a Gyppo. (Well, perhaps less so nowadays but certainly in the past)

Nowadays, everybody who I talk to regularly also has a landline and only basic PAYG mobiles so they don't like phoning other mobiles and in any case landline to landline generally is better sound and connection quality with less likelihood of being randomly cut off.

So I dare say I will continue to have a landline for some time to come.

I have a set of Gigaset cordless handsets but I also have a proper phone complete with dial and a "Dial M for Murder" surround. Pleased to say it still works. especially as it is a phone that will always work regardless of the status of the electricity supply or state of charge of a mobile.

(All those people with no landline. Or indeed with a landline but with no corded handset, How do you imagine that you will contact the emergency services if needed if your mobile battery has run down and/or there is a loss of electricity supply in your home? or do you always, always, always, manage to ensure it is fully charged at all times?)

Soldato
(All those people with no landline. Or indeed with a landline but with no corded handset, How do you imagine that you will contact the emergency services if needed if your mobile battery has run down and/or there is a loss of electricity supply in your home? or do you always, always, always, manage to ensure it is fully charged at all times?)
I have a basic nokia phone, keeping charge is never a problem :D

Soldato
The problem is that the battery backup on your local base station is only good for 15 minutes if it’s a wide area power cut.

Really! :eek:

Whilst I had always assumed that there would be a standby system in place for cell towers, I had taken it for granted that it would be good for hours or even days, not minutes!

Soldato
Really! :eek:

Whilst I had always assumed that there would be a standby system in place for cell towers, I had taken it for granted that it would be good for hours or even days, not minutes!

A 4G base station will need up to 6KW when operation at full call/data capacity. Networks are notoriously cheap sods and usually install the bare legal minimum interns of backup power, especially out in the sticks where ****** steal them whenever possible.

A lot of urban cell sites are built on old BT phone exchanges and are shared by all the operators, so they often split the cost of having a backup generator on site.

TL-DR: Have a landline with a corded handset if you need 24/7/365 emergency call capability.

Pho

Pho

Soldato
Only use mine for broadband. I speak to most people on WhatsApp chat / voice call nowadays. The clarity is so much better than either mobile or landline.

A 4G base station will need up to 6KW when operation at full call/data capacity. Networks are notoriously cheap sods and usually install the bare legal minimum interns of backup power, especially out in the sticks where ****** steal them whenever possible.

I'm assuming 5G towers all have mandatory generators so they can keep broadcasting corona during a powercut? ;)

Associate
Only use mine for broadband. I speak to most people on WhatsApp chat / voice call nowadays. The clarity is so much better than either mobile or landline.

I'm assuming 5G towers all have mandatory generators so they can keep broadcasting corona during a powercut? ;)

Didn't you know the 5G conspiracists are actually hypocrites as they have figured out by using 5G they can download and upload their conspiracies faster LOL

Soldato
The only reason I still have a landline is that my house alarm is plugged into it. Also for some reason when I was renewing my broadband, it was actually cheaper to leave the landline on than remove it.

Soldato
We have a landline but no phone plugged in. We are with Virgin, I tried cancelling it but it made no difference to the monthly cost so we may as well hang onto it.

Associate
Like many here I do, but only as it's required for my FTTC connection. When FTTP is available here I expect/hope I'll be able to get comparable speeds (or better) for cheaper (without line rental)

Back
Top Bottom