Do you still install your own anti-virus on W8?

Associate
Hello!

Now that W8 has the 'improved' Defender so you still install your own anti-virus or are you happy as it is? I've got a license for NOD32 for another year but tempted to go with Defender because if it works out it will save me forking out for a NOD32 license in subsequent years.

What anti-virus are you using on W8?

Thanks!

Soldato
Ive just installed Windows 8, with 7 i used various AV's over the years, with Avira my favorite.

Im going to give a Windows Defender on windows 8 a go i think, its already picked up a few viruses on my storage drives.

Soldato
I also use Defender thats built -in on Win8,I've a hardware firewall router etc.. and I'm the only person that uses my PC ,plus common sense as well ;) .

Lum

Lum

Soldato
Common sense wont protect you from infected banner ads which is the most common attack vector these days.

Even major sites, carrying ads from big name ad companies like Google have been known to carry malware that gets in, usually through Flash or Java exploits.

Adblock helps, mind :)

Associate
Kaspersky Pure 2 here, wouldn't trust anything that's free and from Microsoft! JMO :)

Got to agree with this. Free = Better than nothing....just. Free often means poor detection rates and poor removal percentage. Of all the Antivirus/Internet security packages I have come across over the last 10 years Kaspersky's products win hands down. KAV IS alongside Malwarebytes and Superantispyware and you should be able to keep your machine clean. But for those times you some how manage to get a nasty rootkit etc there's always Combofix and TDSSKiller (also from Kaspersky Labs). Don't think your free AV alone is going to keep you clean....

Soldato
Or, you know, use some judgement in the types of sites you visit and files you download?

Got to agree with this. Free = Better than nothing....just. Free often means poor detection rates and poor removal percentage.
I'm sorry but this really is poor advice. To assume "paid for" A/V and Anti-Malware solutions on their own are more effective than free or integral solutions (which are "better than nothing.. just") is at best a sweeping generalisation and at worst misleading.

Last edited:
Soldato
Common sense wont protect you from infected banner ads which is the most common attack vector these days.

Sort of.

Chrome with its automatic built-in Flash updates goes a long way. Likewise, not having Java installed nor Acrobat Reader are pretty much common sense anyway.

Also, none of the "turn off UAC" lark as seems so popular on this forum. It's the stupidest thing you can do on a PC.

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
I'm sorry but this really is poor advice. To assume "paid for" A/V and Anti-Malware solutions on their own are more effective than free or integral solutions (which are "better than nothing.. just") is at best a sweeping generalisation and at worst misleading.

Indeed. Free A/V combined with software patching is the way to go, for most users.

Associate
My 2012 version of Kaspersky was automatically upgraded to 2013 for free when I upgraded to Windows 8, so using that ;)

Soldato
My 2012 version of Kaspersky was automatically upgraded to 2013 for free when I upgraded to Windows 8, so using that ;)

It's a piece of ****, that's why. Kaspersky is a virus, in and of itself. https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?q=kaspersky bsod

Every year it seems they will send out an update that bricks their customer's machines.

The only AV product that I know of that isn't a virus in and of itself is MSE/Defender. All the others do seriously dodgy things to your PC. They are rootkits.

Man of Honour
It's a piece of ****, that's why. Kaspersky is a virus, in and of itself. https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?q=kaspersky bsod

Every year it seems they will send out an update that bricks their customer's machines.

The only AV product that I know of that isn't a virus in and of itself is MSE/Defender. All the others do seriously dodgy things to your PC. They are rootkits.

Sorry, just wrong, I've had various versions of Kaspersky over the last 6-7years and never ever had it brick or mess my pc up! :)

Back
Top Bottom