• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Do you still need a master card?

Caporegime
As title really, i've been an nvidia man for the last 12 months and have lost complete touch with ATI, however a new build i'm doing for a friend and he wants to go crossfire.

I knew there was talk about not needing a master card soon, is this now the case?

Caporegime
Yeah still need a master im afraid, only the new R600 does away with the masters as it uses a bridge method like SLi, but it uses 2x bridges instead of 1x, master card idea was only done as they needed to get a solution out quick to Nv's SLi, they would not have left Crossfire untill the R600 came out, would have lost to much ground, sp they needed something out quick as said, hence the ****** more expensive (except x1950) specific master card idea.

It has put a lot of ppl off going Crossfire the more expensive specific master being required, still they got something out which is what they had to do.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Ulfhedjinn said:
Don't worry, the master cards are now more or less the same price as standard cards. :)

Yes, but when the store you are getting the stuff from only stocks normal (ie non master) X1950's that leaves you with an issue :(

(and yes I tried convincing him to buy from OcUK, but OcUK don't do finance options)

Soldato
paradigm said:
Yes, but when the store you are getting the stuff from only stocks normal (ie non master) X1950's that leaves you with an issue :(
Well supposedly X1950 and X1900 Crossfire and non-Crossfire editions are interchangeable due to the R580 and R580+ cores being so similar, but don't quote me on that. ;)

I know it's not much use to you though, so all I can say is keep an eye out and pre-order as Gibbo just said they have some coming in from Hong Kong from next week. :)

Alternatively an X1900CF/XT wouldn't lag far behind an X1950CF/XT-X setup at all, in fact it would match it with tiny OCs. The X1950 Series won't be very good value for money as long as the X1900 Series is still drawing breath.

Last edited:
Soldato
im in exactly the same boat as you i made a post a while a go crossfires a joke at the moment what would be nice is if gibbo coule prehaps get us some even better prices on the masters as i really want one but its pretty much out my budget atm

Associate
Errmm, for certain crossfire combinations you don't need a Master card. It can be done in software.

Most notably, X1800GTO and X1900GT cards can be crossfired with two identical cards. Be careful of the motherboard you choose to do this with, on an AMD platform make sure you get an Xpress 3200 chipset based board, for intel, you'll probably want a Intel 975x chipset base to do it with.

** Currently knee deep in research about X1900GT Crossfire **

Soldato
paradigm said:

(and yes I tried convincing him to buy from OcUK, but OcUK don't do finance options)
Why not ask the store to order the card in, considering the amount you intend to spend, they should be happy to do that considering its a definite sale.

Caporegime
OP
Arthalen said:
Most notably, X1800GTO and X1900GT cards can be crossfired with two identical cards. Be careful of the motherboard you choose to do this with, on an AMD platform make sure you get an Xpress 3200 chipset based board, for intel, you'll probably want a Intel 975x chipset base to do it with.
Interesting. Might have to drop back to X1900GT's then. He is going for a 975x chipset board, so thats ok).

Associate
The Asgard has managed to get two X1900GT's working on an Intel Bad Axe 975x board with Catalyst 6.8's.

There is a small risk in this though: official software support isn't announced for the X1900GT's in the catalyst driver, its just 'there'.

I'm hoping to get another X1900GT soon to see if its going to work on my 955x based board. If not, I'll throw it into the missus' PC to replace her X1300.

Back
Top Bottom