Do you think it is worth it to become Microsoft Azure and 365 certified?

Soldato
Don't necessarily agree. Part of my job is to operate as a cloud solution architect for Azure with no relevant Microsoft certifications yet what I do is so cutting edge that one of my actual customers is Microsoft. I work with their product groups in almost all aspects of Azure.

Associate
Passed the 104, far to much emphasis on nuisances to geo limitations of resources and specific methods to rather niche migrations/backup/sku requirements for my liking turning it into a memory game vs actual working knowledge, either way a pass is a pass for the powers that be!
The Scott Duffy course is on point though!

good to hear and congrats! im working through that course at the moment.

Associate
Passed the 104, far to much emphasis on nuisances to geo limitations of resources and specific methods to rather niche migrations/backup/sku requirements for my liking turning it into a memory game vs actual working knowledge, either way a pass is a pass for the powers that be!
The Scott Duffy course is on point though!

Nice one mate!!!!!!!!! happy for you :) ploughing through az-900 my brain is useless not retaining info but just being repetitive lol

Soldato
good to hear and congrats! im working through that course at the moment.

Thanks, and good luck! storage was featured quite a lot on mine so ensure you know the reasons for blob/file/table etc and the limitations between them!

Nice one mate!!!!!!!!! happy for you :) ploughing through az-900 my brain is useless not retaining info but just being repetitive lol

Thanks! good luck as well, every so often MS do a training session that if you complete you get a free go at the exam (if not already aware), pretty sure they set one up not long back, well worth going to. John Savills youtube channel has a great video on the az900 which should see you through part of it. if only to be used as a refresher!
If your new to azure it can seem overwhelming as it covers quite a lot of ground, be worth getting a test azure account setup with a free $100, fire up a few vm or 2 and get familiar with resource groups etc :)

Don't necessarily agree. Part of my job is to operate as a cloud solution architect for Azure with no relevant Microsoft certifications yet what I do is so cutting edge that one of my actual customers is Microsoft. I work with their product groups in almost all aspects of Azure.

Experience always trumps certification for sure when your already in the field but they are also a good way of validating that experience to clients/cv. i'm essentially doing mine just to show why they pay me what they do and why they should pay me more ;) + in my case it goes towards our MS competency's so just adds more leverage at the bargaining table

Soldato
I'm currently office 365/SharePoint/SQL/Azure assistant admin but struggle to get decent experience exposure as the main DBA and DevOps don't share the work. So I've been thinking of doing these certs so I can move elsewhere. Thus far I've been on the fence about going down this route or moving back to development.

Associate
I mean, I like to progress part of me want to pick up/learn linux besides downloading the OS I honestly don't know where to start - as my career has primarily been supporting windows and mac os's.

I have recently passed my AZ-900 exam so I am PUMPED and full of feel good rewarding hormones :D - I am thinking invest in my AZ-104 exam, I been looking at MD0-100 & 101 as it covers in-tune would like a little exposure on that :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Very nice, how did you find the 305? I assume you did 104 as well or are planning to in order to get the architect expert cert?
I haven't taken the 305 yet but yeah I did AZ-104 last year so only the 305 exam to go.

I have another 3 exams scheduled for this year, AZ-500, AZ-800 and AZ-801. Doubt I get them all done this year, probably move AZ-500 to the start of next year. I see how I get on with the others first.

Man of Honour
I haven't taken the 305 yet but yeah I did AZ-104 last year so only the 305 exam to go.

I have another 3 exams scheduled for this year, AZ-500, AZ-800 and AZ-801. Doubt I get them all done this year, probably move AZ-500 to the start of next year. I see how I get on with the others first.
Ah sorry, despite your post being very clear, I managed to misread it :p good luck!

Soldato
Very nice.

How did you find it compared to AZ-104? I understand it's a different focus but in terms of overlap of knowledge and relative difficulty?
I found it more difficult, its not really technical like AZ-104, as in they dont test you on where to find certain features and options in the Azure interface or know Powershell/Azure CLI commands. But its more recommend this and suggest that, if you dont know about certain Azure technologies such as Azure Front Door, Azure Traffic Manager which are both a form of load balancers but which scenarios is best to you them. Thats where it is difficult.
Well done mate. I've haven't started down this path but I'll have to do something soon.

Back
Top Bottom