Do you think there’s a need for 32gb for gaming yet?

Soldato
interested in people’s opinions for 32gb of ram, specifically for gaming.

If you’re gaming 1440p, UW or 4K, would you consider 32gb for longevity, or do you think it’s still unnecessary?

Soldato
16Gb is still plenty for current games. There is a case of having too little VRAM on a GPU so if a game runs out it starts to use system resources and so 16GB is better than 8GB but you're talking GPUs with 3GB VRAM or less. There's some comparisons on YT.

I'm using 1440 UW with a 1080Ti and recently swapped RAM around between 16 & 32 GB and didn't notice any significant differences.

Soldato
At this point no because of how expensive it is. I bought 32GB of 2400mhz DDR4 before the prices went up, so all in paid £108 for 4x8 sticks. I've since sold half of that to fund some faster 3200mhz Gskill 2x8 sticks and the speed increase has been more beneficial to games than the capacity. I barely ever go above 11GB of usage whilst gaming with a lot of background apps open, so 5GB of headroom is plenty enough for a couple of years atleast.

Associate
16GB is comfortably enough for gaming, money can be spent elsewhere to achieve a more balanced, higher performing build.

Soldato
I bought 32GB (4 x 8GB) as I had the funds spare, it meant I got compatible RAM and also being good quality it means if I do a CPU swap out to Ryzen Gen 3 the RAM performance will hopefully be better due to a better IMC than gen 1 Ryzen.

At the moment the is no real need for it in gaming.

Soldato
I have 32GB. While gaming I've hit 12-13GB a few times but the only time I've ever passed 16GB is in Star Citizen. I'd say 16GB is more than enough for gaming currently and most likely will be for a few years to come.

Associate
The bottleneck isn't there yet - I've only recently upgraded to 16GB myself. My GPU is holding the system back atm (blame crypto for lack of upgrade availability)

Permabanned
interested in people’s opinions for 32gb of ram, specifically for gaming.

If you’re gaming 1440p, UW or 4K, would you consider 32gb for longevity, or do you think it’s still unnecessary?

It is still unnecessary as it currently barely maximises the use of 8 GB, let alone 16 GB.
32 GB when DDR5 comes in a couple of years.

Soldato
Developers won't be designing their games for that amount of memory, especially with those exorbitant prices. 32GB users are an extreme minority and it isn't worth the investment in developing game assets for such a small audience.

Maybe when the Korean/Chinese cartels are done colluding to fix prices and/or the Chinese government finishes their investigation into the practices while standing up their own fabs the prices will go down, more people will fit more memory in, and the games will take advantage of the increased headroom. Until then 16GB is fine.

I paid £44 per pair for my memory from OCUK a year and a half ago, it now costs £90. That is absurd and outrageous.

Soldato
I have 32GB. While gaming I've hit 12-13GB a few times but the only time I've ever passed 16GB is in Star Citizen. I'd say 16GB is more than enough for gaming currently and most likely will be for a few years to come.

Yeah but that leaks like a sieve :p

Soldato
OP
I’ll be upgrading the whole rig mid-late next year. That’ll be 5ish years, about right for me.

I wish I had put 16gb in this one, and I won’t make the same mistake again; I reckon in 1 to 2 years we’ll be seeing memory requirements over 16gb. So 32gb it is.

Let the mocking begin :D

Back
Top Bottom