1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you use any sort of antivirus software?

Discussion in 'Windows & Other Software' started by syks, 15 Nov 2021.

1. Lmg80

Hitman

Issue here is Av web extensions are designed to scan ahead of sites you access. Defender cannot do this.

2. Duke

Man of Honour

3. Cheetah Designs

Wise Guy

...so this is saying, If I go to a website with one of these things on it, my browser will download an exe and run it to infect my PC. I mean surely the browser would prompt before it attempts to open a download?

4. robfosters

Caporegime

So is there a good adblocker for Chrome please?

5. mrk

Man of Honour

uBlock Origin

That is correct!

6. Blackjack Davy

Soldato

Usually click on a link from a compromised ad server? Sites use embedded 3rd party ads and they don't have direct control of the ad server which can and do get compromised by hackers. I've seen them occasionally which is why I tend to use ad blockers.

7. V F

Capodecina

That happened to dslzone dot net back in 2010. The site got infected through ads as the site was no longer getting maintained. It gave me a black screen on reboot with no explorer destroying the Windows Network stack. It was then on I looked into NoScript.

8. Bouton Aide

Suspended

Just use the built in stuff there isn't a reason now to use anything else but the built in with either windows 10 or windows 11.

9. Scort

Mobster

Last AV I used was Sophos home, after Avast became a nagging nuisance – trying to get me to upgrade to a paid service every 5 minutes, shame, as that had been my staple for much of the Windows 7 era. But for the last 2 years or so, I’ve just used Windows Defender – and the occasional MWB scan; though that never finds anything even with my frequent trips on the high seas yarrrr!!!!

So yeah, AV is pretty much useless these days, unless you’re a PC World customer or an old person getting scammed easily :D

10. Dwarfy

Gangster

Most infections stem from email attachments and public torrent trackers.

So as long as you don't open attachments from unknown senders and are cautious when using public torrents (no judgement from me) Windows Defender if perfectly good.

I used to always install AVG free, never in my life have I paid for antivirus, never will.

Now I only use defender, as they all seem pretty much the same, some will catch what others miss and vice-versa

Since win10 even I've had trouble accessing files (contact administrator!!!) and I'm the sole user and have admin rights LOL (looking at you "Owner - TrustedInstaller) so what chance does a virus or malware have LOL

Though a scan from malwarebytes isn't a bad thing now and then

11. alphaomega16

Wise Guy

See a lot of folks saying windows defender but I keep hearing so many horror stories about it deleting things without any feedback or notification until you start looking for it and it ignoring whitelists.

12. mrk

Man of Honour

'So many"?!

Gonna have to post some links to these so many instances because I've only ever read one Reddit post which then got reshsred multiple times and it was only related to dvdcss ripping software.

Personally I've never seen anything like that nor do I know anyone who has had any such experience.

Last edited: 6 Dec 2021
  13. goldy6660

Gangster

Just windows defender here.

14. Baldbloke

Hitman

My Kaspersky licence ran out two days ago.
    From what I'm reading on this thread I may not renew it.
    Maybe I'll just stick with defender then. Dunno though.
    It was handy being able to right click on a downloaded file and do a virus scan straight from the menu. It gave me peace of mind.

Does Defender do web browser malware detection too?

15. Dwarfy

Gangster

Just checked on an .exe file, and scan with windows defender was an option

16. mrk

Man of Honour

Yeah you can right click any file and scan with Defender :cool:

17. kindai

Sgarrista

ESET nod32 or Bitdefender, depending who has an offer on :D

18. Baldbloke

Hitman

Oh yeah. So it does. Just had a look. I didn't realise. Kaspersky must have blagged that option when I had it active. Thank you.

19. smogsy

Sgarrista

Chrome Firefox all do malware/virus prevention 9nce flagged by 2 or more users

They prevent you from liadibg the site anyway :)

20. theforce

Wise Guy

Have been using Bitdefender Free edition for a couple of years and l am happy with it. Minimalistic and doesn't nag you to upgrade to the paid version. Unfortunately, they will end their support for the free edition on Dec 31st. Kaspersky has also a free edition which is considered a good solution.