Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (2022)

Associate
Just got back.

Honestly thought it was among the bottom tier Marvel films. I didn't feel the multiverse element was used very well - it just felt a bit style over substance. I mean having the main driving factor for using the multiverse as a plot device being Wanda wanting to feel like a mother again...really didn't feel like it matched up in terms of stakes.

The cameos also felt very thrown in and just pure literal fan service (although hearing the X-Men cartoon theme did make me giggle like a schoolgirl). Unlike in No Way Home, where the other Spideys actually relate to Tom's tragedy, help him get through it and actually do serve the story, I didn't feel that with these.

I did appreciate Sam Raimi's distinct style though, and some scenes he really nailed the feeling of being made uneasy. And the Bruce cameo is always fun.

Soldato
Just got back.

Honestly thought it was among the bottom tier Marvel films. I didn't feel the multiverse element was used very well - it just felt a bit style over substance. I mean having the main driving factor for using the multiverse as a plot device being Wanda wanting to feel like a mother again...really didn't feel like it matched up in terms of stakes.

The cameos also felt very thrown in and just pure literal fan service (although hearing the X-Men cartoon theme did make me giggle like a schoolgirl). Unlike in No Way Home, where the other Spideys actually relate to Tom's tragedy, help him get through it and actually do serve the story, I didn't feel that with these.

I did appreciate Sam Raimi's distinct style though, and some scenes he really nailed the feeling of being made uneasy. And the Bruce cameo is always fun.
Agreed, I was so disappointed. 5/10 for me and I was so pumped to watch it.

Man of Honour
Not sure if my long day affected my opinion but that was trash, as poor as some MCU movies have been I think this was the least entertained i've been watching one.

Eternals and Black Widow are both down there with this but I felt like I got what they were about early on and adjusted expectations accordingly. This felt like watching a long cartoon episode with the shifts in tone, some of the lines, and the handling of new characters. Way too many moments where I just said wtf am I watching. Wasn't a fan of the 3D either, going to wait a few days and see it in 2D just so I give it a fair shot but i'm not expecting to change my mind. Wanda before the end, some of the visuals, the sound design and the horror elements were the only parts I enjoyed.

It wasn't a packed showing but at least 3 different groups walked out before the end which says it all really

Soldato
I'm a bit torn, on one hand I thought Wanda's arc was very well done but Strange and Chavez were just "meh", especially as it was supposed to be a Dr Strange film. Visually it was very good but by now flashy CGI is less important to me than a good story for the MCU and I though Spiderman Far from Home did a way better job of exploiting the "multiverse" than this did, even if the cameos were fun - 5/10 at most.

Soldato
Just got back, liked that they tried something new with this and it's the closest we'll probably get to a horror film set in the MCU

Should have expected it after Spiderman but I really didn't expect the cameos they threw in this

Last edited:
Soldato
To me, 5/10 is for well below average movies.

5 is the middle so technically it's average, neither bad or good.
romNg6M.png

I would score it a 6. I enjoyed the start but once it went on to the Wanda storyline I dropped off. It became all too formulaic and predictable.

"Wanda seemed too powerful and her making short work of the superheroes from the parallel universities totally reminded me of Omni-Man in the Invincible."

fez

fez

Caporegime
Well that was an utter mess of a film. I have no idea if it knew what it was trying to be.

Part horror film, super campy at times, weird pacing, issues with powers, still struggling with their obsession with making female characters the strong ones all the time. Felt like it should have been a scarlet witch film as well but I guess thats harder to do when shes the big bad. Scarlet Witch was the start of the show but it was still far too CGI heavy.

I would argue that this sits around the same level as Black Widow and Captain Marvel. Most of the polish of a marvel film but missing all the actual stuff that makes them good. Tries to use the same formula but comes up short.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Really? I found it very easy to follow and thought it was very good.

Thought Black Widow was the worst phase 4 movie.

He didn't say it was hard to follow, he said it was a jumbled mess which I agree with. The plot could be followed by a 10 year old easily enough and thats by design. I can't think of any Marvel film that doesn't have a simple plot that anyone could follow. It was the execution that was massively lacking here.

Caporegime
Yeah of the 5 of us in my company only I thought it was "ok" lol
It was absolutely nothing new, predictable marvel style.
I like the silly fights, set pieces now, but it really felt zero danger to anyone with a "name"
I really thought it would, could have gone much more multiversey... Really a wasted opportunity.

Back
Top Bottom