Doctor Who

I just want to discuss the episode rather than arguing about how woke it is. We don’t get anywhere with this discussion as we aren’t going to agree.
I'd much rather be discussing the episode too. I've sent it twice so far.

Was just great having Christmas specials back after so many years without them.

I don’t think every episode is 10/10 at all. I spent much of the last 10 years slagging off how bad it’s got.

I think it’s better than it was but it’s not yet got back to the peak under Tennant/start of Smith. I think I posted in this thread that the first episode was a 6/10.
My bad - i thought i was quoting Steve :)

Oh Tennant and Smith were amazing, as was Eccleston - but then again, it was all about the story, not pushing agendas.

As a family we all used to watch CE, DT and MS - they stopped when JW took over with her 'fam' and rubbish stories - they have no interest in picking up DW again. Poor scripts and BBC wokeness - their words and they are the demographic of what the BBC THINK they want to see - which is a shame.

Last edited:
Except the Doctors frequently slated capitalism and humans being stupid and not thinking of others among many other social and politicaltype subjects.. People just never seemed to notice it.

I am currently rewatching Pertwee as I've not seen all of his stories and there are certainly mentions of environmental issues and other subjects even in the 70s.

"children stopped watching Doctor Who when it became an exhibition piece of wokeness."

I quite like that quote :) Also, "BBC dramas are 'woke' propaganda, not entertainment".

@steve5424 I've seen people argue that "Doctor Who has always been political". This is more-or-less true... but accusations of "wokeness" should not be mistaken for accusations of being "too political".

But they do and they have, children are quite observant. As I say, my kids watched CE and stopped at JW. They've seen the social media clips of the new stuff and have zero interest.

Except the Doctors frequently slated capitalism and humans being stupid and not thinking of others among many other social and politicaltype subjects.. People just never seemed to notice it.

I am currently rewatching Pertwee as I've not seen all of his stories and there are certainly mentions of environmental issues and other subjects even in the 70s.

Slating social and politicaltype subjects isnt the issue, be it Who, or Trek or whatever other program you watch, the issue is, it becomes a show about ticking boxes and being seen as being inclusive and diverse and not about actual character development and interesting stories, then it might as well be some sort of sponsored party political broadcast...

Seems about right.

Screenshot-2024-01-01-121109.png

I see the BBC's new "take" on Enid Blyton have a black trans kid in it pronouncing her he/him pronouns in classic children's stories set nearly 100 years ago...of course she's the main character with the rest sidelined to supporting roles. But that's the BBC for you....

:cry:

Last edited:
I see the BBC's new "take" on Enid Blyton have a black trans kid in it pronouncing her he/him pronouns in classic children's stories set nearly 100 years ago...of course she's the main character with the rest sidelined to supporting roles. But that's the BBC for you....

:cry:
You mean Georgina who is a tomboy and she prefers George but is still a girl. How does that make her trans?

To be honest I'd be more concerned with a mixed race relationship and child in the UK in the 1930s. That certainly wouldn't have happened.

Clearly no DEI quotas or political messaging there....... ;)

They ruin everything they touch. DEI aside it looks like another poor BBC adaptation this Christmas to along with to go along with that awful Enid Blyton, even the Guardian couldn't pretend it was good.

Pleased I invested in 4K UHD Blue Ray player and physical media and collected classic works instead of giving the BBC and streaming services my money to waste on DEI propaganda.

Reactions: jcr
As Doctor Who celebrates its 60th anniversary, Sue Perkins explores how the programme has reflected our social history across the decades both on and off screen. From advances in technology to politics, violence, gender and sexuality.Featuring archive footage, interviews and new conversations with showrunner Steven Moffat, script editor Andrew Cartmel, former companions including Anneke Wills, Katy Manning and Janet Fielding, and the voice of the Daleks Nicholas Briggs along with Dalek Operator Barnaby Edwards. Also, there's analysis from several academics who have published books on the subject.Sue examines how progressive the show has been, questioning if our favourite time traveller has kept with the times.

interesting program that discusses how edgy & scarey doctor who has been in the past
Polly being prepared as lunch by cannibals, they edited out the knives because they thought it would promote knife crime, daleks and the nazi heritage ....

I thought the targeting of cancel culture (toymaker episode) was great and referencing Xi/Putin as the puppeteer was very obvious.

Last edited:
You mean Georgina who is a tomboy and she prefers George but is still a girl. How does that make her trans?
Lol, every time I think of Georgina who prefers George, I cant help but remember the best Famous Five show of them all...

Good old Comic Strip Presents, I doubt much of their stuff would get shown today sadly

Last edited:
Millie Gibson replaced after 1 season

Back
Top Bottom