Doctor Who

Caporegime
Ncuti Gatwa has been announced as the next Dr Who. I’ve never seen him before but he’s been in the Netflix series Sex Education.

We‘ve now had a white female Dr and a black male Dr. Any more boxes to tick?

A trans doctor, a wheelchair bound doctor, and a version of the doctor for all these new genders that are supposedly recognised by health services now, and even more for the “I identify as” brigade. So expect dr who at some point to identify as an aircraft carrier.

XPE

XPE

Soldato
I don't think RTD is going to give the new doctor crap scripts, the question for me is does RTD still have the drive he had 15 years ago? Its not like the old days when you had RTD and Moffat writing in the same season giving a good mix of scripts. He will need to bring people back and chibbs has giving plenty of reason for people not to return to this show.

RTD faces an up hill battle and the new Doctor needed to get peoples attention, a press release on a Sunday morning out of nowhere is not the best start in my opinion.

Soldato
Well I guess we have to judge the guy on what he can bring to the part. If he starts by being less manic and more coherent than Jodie, that will be off to a good beginning.

But at a casual glance, it does look like the BBC have taken criticism of casting a woman as the Doctor and decided to annoy people even further. However someone like Idris Elba or Chiwetel Ejiofor might have brought a bit more gravitas and a slightly better known face for the ethnic box ticking exercise.

Soldato
Ncuti Gatwa has been announced as the next Dr Who. I’ve never seen him before but he’s been in the Netflix series Sex Education.

We‘ve now had a white female Dr and a black male Dr. Any more boxes to tick?

Perhaps someone from the clergy with no acting experience other than maybe some amateur pantomime performance.

Soldato
Why must it be a tick box role? I'm sure RTD has genuinely picked the best actor for the role and will fit in with where he wants to take the show next.

Give it a chance.
I'd love to give it a chance, but I really can't see him as the Doctor. I was excited for JW, but both she and the scripts were pants :( I don't feel any excitement for this guy taking over.

I'll keep tabs on the thread, lemme know if it's any good please.

Soldato
It went downhill after Eccleston and Piper but I thought we'd hit rock bottom with Whittaker.

Wuuuut?! David Tennant was fantastic. I also highly rated Matt Smiths tenure, although I know a few didn't.

Peter Capaldi - fantastic actor, crap scripts.

JW - fantastic actress, but in DW she was rubbish, also crap scripts.

Soldato
I recall me complaining about Matt Smith being too young, then he ended up being my favourite doctor. Looking forward to the reset of Dr Who, it must be at last chance saloon before it needs to be rested for a decade if the scripts / viewing figures are not up to scratch

Soldato
I recall me complaining about Matt Smith being too young, then he ended up being my favourite doctor. Looking forward to the reset of Dr Who, it must be at last chance saloon before it needs to be rested for a decade if the scripts / viewing figures are not up to scratch
Matt was only 25 when he got the role. Peter Davison was also around that age too.

I'm hopeful that RTD can bring back the magic and do good things. I think when he left he was tired and had been running the show for a while and needed a break. Hopefully he will still be as passionate and want to make the show a success again.

Soldato
I think post Eccleston and Piper the show was dumbed down to be more PC and make it more commercially appealing to other markets. Trying to be all things to all people doesn't work. Try watching a UK sitcom that's had it's rights licenced to a US production and you'll see it doesn't travel well.

Soldato
Quote @bafta next to RTD "its exciting being part of a show that pushes a narrative" - out of the mouth of babes QED
bbc just said that RTD cast him as well ... so ? part of his return deal.

e: so Time won an award over it's a sin - RTD take note, should have been Responder imhop though.

Caporegime
But at a casual glance, it does look like the BBC have taken criticism of casting a woman as the Doctor and decided to annoy people even further. However someone like Idris Elba or Chiwetel Ejiofor might have brought a bit more gravitas and a slightly better known face for the ethnic box ticking exercise.
Doctor who is a prime-time show aimed at kids/family's.

It's not going to attract the likes of Idris Elba or Chiwetel Ejiofor.

It's a big role, sure, but for TV actors trying to get a step up...not movie stars.

Back
Top Bottom