Doctor Who

Caporegime
The older I get, the more convinced I am that there are very few "good" actors about. The rest of them just play a version of themselves and play the same character every time. Maybe its just massive amounts of typecasting but there aren't that many actors that play really different characters throughout their careers.
because that's what acting has became a bunch of people playing themselves

Caporegime
Why does every decision that doesn't involve white middle aged males come down to tick boxes on this forum? :o

If he's a good actor and he gets good scripts, he'll do well.

Because that's the way of TV nowadays, Black good, white bad!

Saw the same crap on Netflix in a new show where a black guy said " Why did you abduct me, is because i'm black? "

Instant turn off

Soldato
Doctor who is a prime-time show aimed at kids/family's.

It's not going to attract the likes of Idris Elba or Chiwetel Ejiofor.

It's a big role, sure, but for TV actors trying to get a step up...not movie stars.

I was hoping when Capaldi took over we'd get a bit more grown up Dr Who with a bit more gravitas. He tried his best but the scripts and the virtue signalling was at it's worst so I checked out.

I'm getting round the fact that unless there's a fundamental reset/restart of the entire thing to be more Adult/Mature that I've grown out of Dr who and it's simply not for me. It's been turned into a massive LGBTQ+ propaganda/Woke machine a while back and I'm just simply fed up with it. And from the looks of the ratings, I'm not the only one. Even in the RTD era he shoe-horned in a gay couple into every single episode.

Man of Honour
They really need to sort out the scripts and story lines, for the past few years they have been the worst I have seen and I have been watching the program since the 1960s.

In the very oldest episodes the special effects were awful but it did not matter as the storyline/plot was quite logical and easy to follow.

Caporegime
Caporegime
Matt Smith turned me off Doctor Who

Burn the heretic!!! I honestly thought that nobody could ever be as good a doctor as David Tennant and the first few episodes I really didnt like Matt Smith but by the time he left I honestly thought he was the best doctor ever. Maybe the good writing helped and the music. But in general, the whole 11th doctor time arc has been my favourite.

XPE

XPE

Soldato
Only way is up surely?

I keep thinking that but the entertainment industry (contradictory term now maybe) keeps finding new low's I didn't expect then to find. Imagine if in 2010 I told you we were getting new Star Wars films and Patrick Steward was returning as Picard but now look at how its all turned out :(

Soldato
Burn the heretic!!! I honestly thought that nobody could ever be as good a doctor as David Tennant and the first few episodes I really didnt like Matt Smith but by the time he left I honestly thought he was the best doctor ever. Maybe the good writing helped and the music. But in general, the whole 11th doctor time arc has been my favourite.
I have a friend who is deadly serious and keeps blasting Smith and claims he is the worst ever Doctor. I don't speak to him much now

Soldato

I never got on with Matt Smith due to his lack of eyebrows. I ashamed to admit I am as non-eyebrowist as they come when it comes to invisible eyebrows. I think I must have got it from my dad growing up in the 70's and getting used to the likes of Dennis Healy on the telly.

Well it would appear that the woke nonsense will still be there. Much diversity and inclusion ahead. I would imagine the downward trend of both quality and viewing figures will continue. When will these people at the BBC realise again that people want to be entertained and not preached at? Perhaps when their free funding ends and they have to make things that people actually want?

Soldato
Ncuti Gatwa has been announced as the next Dr Who. I’ve never seen him before but he’s been in the Netflix series Sex Education.

We‘ve now had a white female Dr and a black male Dr. Any more boxes to tick?

It's been building up to it for a while and I've been seeing it go this way since it's return. But an openly gay Dr. Who with it's first on-screen gay kiss. Watch this space, it'll happen in the next 5 years or so, mark my words

Soldato
It's been building up to it for a while and I've been seeing it go this way since it's return. But an openly gay Dr. Who with it's first on-screen gay kiss. Watch this space, it'll happen in the next 5 years or so, mark my words

What did you think of Torchwood when that was on? Not having a go, just that open bisexualness has been in the Whoverse for years, the main differences seem to be the writing and stories were vastly superior back in them days. You could have whatever Doctor you could think of as long as the stories were up to scratch, though that is clearly stating the obvious. Torchwood was a more adult show though it has to be said.

Soldato
I don't watch Dr Who since Tennant anyway so don't really have a foot in the game, but I do wonder how many young black actors are taking roles that are essentially diversity box tickers which are then backed up by crap storytelling, weak characters and generally poor writing that then damages their careers..?

Soldato
Torchwood (a success) was clearly just for adults and on in the evening, so no need to be politically correct/family viewing, it did perhaps show that a gay actor is best to portray a gay character too, there was a farcical element to it though, not trying to take itself too seriously.

Watching the full bbc interview with Ncuti it looked like he was the right maturity to audition for cbeebies let alone Who - he hasn't really go the physical presence/height/build the doctor needs, if he was the new Harry Potter that would be fine.
Is Whittaker getting a career boost now. or cosmic obscurity - karma, can't see she has some wonderful new role, yes, bad/crap doctors have a special place ...

( Sampled a bite of Idris Elba's latest career move - a reality tv boxing show - following in the footsteps of Ross Kemp ?, he's lost his way. )

Soldato
it did perhaps show that a gay actor is best to portray a gay character too
Absolutely, there are certainly hard to pick up little nuances to being something you are not, so where some actors are method, being gay is probably a bit of a stretch for even the more hardcore method actors, so I absolutely agree with that, in the same way that a 'black' film should be directed by a black director because they understand the cultural differences and little nods that a white director wouldn't, same goes for many other 'types' of film/tv series.
Watching the full bbc interview with Ncuti it looked like he was the right maturity to audition for cbeebies let alone Who - he hasn't really go the physical presence/height/build the doctor needs, if he was the new Harry Potter that would be fine.
I think this is an age/personality thing, just because that's how he is, doesn't mean that's how he 'acts' as long as the writers and so on are good...
Is Whittaker getting a career boost now. or cosmic obscurity - karma, can't see she has some wonderful new role, yes, bad/crap doctors have a special place ...

( Sampled a bite of Idris Elba's latest career move - a reality tv boxing show - following in the footsteps of Ross Kemp ?, he's lost his way. )
Has he lost his way or is it just what he wants to do, bit presumptuous perhaps?

Soldato

I don't think a new role or career boost is on the cards as she is pregnant and due fairly soon. So being a new mum is next for her.

Back
Top Bottom