Doctor Who

Soldato
This is how brainwashing and Propaganda work best when the subject is so asleep that they don't realize what's being drummed into their heads, and the libs dare to be the ones that call themselves woke. :p
So tell us then where the gay couple was in every single episode RTD oversaw??

There is no brainwashing or propaganda. Just bigots who see gays everywhere.

Soldato
I don't watch Dr Who since Tennant anyway so don't really have a foot in the game, but I do wonder how many young black actors are taking roles that are essentially diversity box tickers which are then backed up by crap storytelling, weak characters and generally poor writing that then damages their careers..?

You have missed out - Matt Smith had some fantastic episodes as the Doctor and it had Amy Pond, nom nom nom!!!

Commissario
Torchwood (a success) was clearly just for adults and on in the evening, so no need to be politically correct/family viewing, it did perhaps show that a gay actor is best to portray a gay character too, there was a farcical element to it though, not trying to take itself too seriously.

Watching the full bbc interview with Ncuti it looked like he was the right maturity to audition for cbeebies let alone Who - he hasn't really go the physical presence/height/build the doctor needs, if he was the new Harry Potter that would be fine.
Is Whittaker getting a career boost now. or cosmic obscurity - karma, can't see she has some wonderful new role, yes, bad/crap doctors have a special place ...

( Sampled a bite of Idris Elba's latest career move - a reality tv boxing show - following in the footsteps of Ross Kemp ?, he's lost his way. )
Which doctor?

Ncuti Gatwa is taller than several of the other male doctors, he's got a more muscular build than several of them, and he's not as slim as some of them, or as "wide" in comparison to height.
He's probably more muscular than most of the previous actors, about the only difference between him and some of the ones pre reboot is you can easily find pictures of him in other roles, and from outside of his other roles prior to him being in Who.
In terms of physical build he's well within the "range" of the others.

As a minor aside, this discussion has led me to looking into several of the old Who actors and what their careers where before they became the doctor and realising how many of them did it relatively early in their acting careers, for example Tom Baker had only about half a dozen roles in episodes of TV and 3 film roles (one just as "minor character") prior to him becoming Doctor who, on top of a few years in theatre.

Commissario
OP
Even in the RTD era he shoe-horned in a gay couple into every single episode.
Really? I must have missed that!
This is how brainwashing and Propaganda work best when the subject is so asleep that they don't realize what's being drummed into their heads, and the libs dare to be the ones that call themselves woke. :p
So tell us then where the gay couple was in every single episode RTD oversaw??
Still waiting to hear about the gay couples in every single RTD episode. Apart from Captain Jack, I'm struggling to think of any at all.

As a minor aside, this discussion has led me to looking into several of the old Who actors and what their careers where before they became the doctor and realising how many of them did it relatively early in their acting careers, for example Tom Baker had only about half a dozen roles in episodes of TV and 3 film roles (one just as "minor character") prior to him becoming Doctor who, on top of a few years in theatre.
@dymetrie and I were talking about just this a couple of days ago. From my time watching Doctor Who which started with Jon Pertwee, the only actor I've really had any experience of before they were cast as the Doctor was Pete Davison and that was from seeing him as Tristan on All Creatures. I think that apart from him, my reaction has always been the same throughout the original and the 2005 series... "Who?".

Soldato
Ncuti Gatwa is taller than several of the other male doctors, he's got a more muscular build than several of them, and he's not as slim as some of them, or as "wide" in comparison to height.
He's probably more muscular than most of the previous actors, about the only difference between him and some of the ones pre reboot is you can easily find pictures of him in other roles, and from outside of his other roles prior to him being in Who.
In terms of physical build he's well within the "range" of the others.
height still embues authority in many situations - napoleon/cruise excepted,
but looks like someone already did the comparison V and Ncuti is 10cm short , I had been thinking capaldi/tenant/ecleston as the comparison points ( ... and rtd from interview is tall himself which was why i considered it ) Ncutis a slimish build like them.

Dr Who and Companion Heights

I suppose height itself has as much right to be included in the Who diversity remit;
'diversity' of the principal companion could be an interesting new frontier, Who is behind Strictly in that respect, RTD's probably one step ahead of me.

Man of Honour
height still embues authority in many situations - napoleon/cruise excepted

Funnily enough the whole Napoleon thing is a bit of a myth really , he was around 5ft 6, which was actually about average height for the time. The whole he was short thing was pretty much just a form of propaganda created by others to diminish him rather than an actual truth. Cruise on the other hand, is dinky :)

fez

fez

Caporegime
Currently I just can't imagine him as the doctor because all I can visualise is him in Sex Education and that character would not a good doctor make. Honestly, the writing is probably 70% and the actor the other 30%. They need to sort out the writing before we get too caught up in the acting.

Soldato
Still waiting to hear about the gay couples in every single RTD episode. Apart from Captain Jack, I'm struggling to think of any at all.
You think i'm going to go through dozens of episodes of dross to pick out all the moments? You got to be ******* joking! It's all there, just pick a random episode and watch it, you love it so much it can't be so hard for you

Soldato
You think i'm going to go through dozens of episodes of dross to pick out all the moments? You got to be ******* joking! It's all there, just pick a random episode and watch it, you love it so much it can't be so hard for you
So really what you are saying is you were talking nonsense and there aren't gay couples in every single episode! For example Love and Monsters, Fear Her Doctors Daughter, Dale.

Where are the gays in those episodes. If they are in every episode?

Soldato
Well, it's about the context isnt it. It's difficult to write a gay role in to such a program that doesn't stick out like a sore thumb i guess. Well, they make it look difficult anyway :p

As for couples.....not many. Individuals though, there were a few:

Commissario
OP
As for couples.....not many. Individuals though, there were a few:
In the RTD controlled episodes, there's only one mentioned there in Doctor Who and that's Captain Jack. You'd think that a site like that would be all over it if there were gay characters or couples in every single RTD episode but strangely enough, they don't mention them.

Torchwood is a different matter but that's a different show, aimed at an adult audience with a lead cast member who is an alien who doesn't draw the line anywhere.

It's all there
It's not. See above.

Why would it even matter if there were gay couples in every episode? What year is this?:confused:
That's the point, even if they were there (they're not), it wouldn't matter.

Soldato
In the RTD controlled episodes, there's only one mentioned there in Doctor Who and that's Captain Jack. You'd think that a site like that would be all over it if there were gay characters or couples in every single RTD episode but strangely enough, they don't mention them.
Indeed, I'm assuming that's accurate as I'm not about to watch all the episodes to cross check it :p

Soldato
That's the point, even if they were there (they're not), it wouldn't matter
it matters in terms of how the gay characters are portrayed - rtd didn't win any award for It's a sin -
which, before I turned it off, I thought, misrepresented at least the UK opinion towards gays at that time, playing up to the woke genx belief that gays had been ostracized then, and diversity was a new invention;
there was a lot of fear of AIDS across both straight&gay demographics ... covid has been counteracted quickly in comparison, versus lifelong medication/stigma for hiv infected folks;
maybe RTD was reflecting USA homophobic opinion for dramatic effect.

Back
Top Bottom