Dodgy Email or Real?

Soldato
Just seen this email in my inbox.

Thank you for funding your Sony Entertainment Network wallet.

You will find a copy of the transaction and the terms which apply to the transaction below. Please print these off and keep in a safe place for future reference.

Wallet funding details

Sign-In ID: ********
Charge Method : VISA 4775************

Date Charged: 16/04/2012 @ 12:00 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Funding Amount: £39.99
Wallet Amount after Funding: £39.99

This is not a VAT/GST invoice.

PlayStation(R)Network is your gateway to a world of great entertainment and services. These can be purchased using the funds contained within your Sony Entertainment Network wallet.

If you did not register for this service...
This email has been sent to you because a Sony Entertainment Network account has been created with this email address. If you did not register for this service, please contact Customer Support at the following address:

[email protected]

The Sony Entertainment Network Team
Sony Network Entertainment Europe Limited

If you would like to view further information on our terms, policies and frequently asked questions, you can visit the following locations:

Terms of Service and User Agreement
http://www.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/legal

Frequently Asked Questions and customer support http://eu.playstation.com/help-support

Privacy Policy
http://www.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/legal

This email has been delivered from a send-only address. Please do not reply to this message. If you have any queries, please contact Customer Support using the contact details found at http://eu.playstation.com/support.

Just checked and no money has come out of my bank, but the details are that of my debit card (but I have removed them for the forum purposes)

Permabanned
Did you buy anything for £39.99 off PSN? :confused:

If not, then it's a scam... The money doesn't necessarily come out of your account instantly.

EDIT: It looks legit, not that it counts for much.

Associate
Bare in mind all the PSN details were leaked a while back, this could just be an ingenious delayed phishing scam. Wait until you've forgotten then scare you with more info about the account than you know!

Soldato
OP
Well I have called my bank and they have confirmed there is no payment showing pending on my account. I have cancelled the card and requested a new card anyway as Sony have my card details and I cannot get online to remove them, as their services are down.

Seems odd, especially as I also had this email

Thank you for your purchase from the PlayStation®Store.

You will find a copy of your purchase details below and a link to the terms which apply to your purchase. Please print these off and keep in a safe place for future reference.

Sign-In ID: acemodder
Name: Lee Bryan

Order Number: 3020675504

Date Purchased: 16/04/2012 @ 12:00 PM
Total Amount: £39.99

Item / Service Details Unit of Price

IP9102-NPIA90006_01-PSPLUSSUBS365DAY-E001 PlayStation®Plus: One-year Membership (Subscription) £39.99

(Next Renewal Date: 16/04/2013 @ 11:50 AM)

Total Amount: £39.99
Current Wallet Amount: £0.00

This is not a VAT/GST invoice.

The Sony Entertainment Network Team
Sony Network Entertainment Europe Limited

I don't have Playstation Plus, and have never signed up to it. The details are 100% my details.

Soldato
OP
All headers are spot on for Sony on the email, I think somebody has my account info etc. The purchase seems real, just strange that the bank cannot see any transaction (made or pending) I have cancelled my card so hope that it resolves the issue.

Caporegime
Your name is Lee? :o

Always had you down as being a 'David' sort of person :(

For what it's worth that email 'looks' and 'sounds' legit, but if nothing is pending according to the bank and you've cancelled the card, you don't have anything to worry about from a financial point of view.

You do need to take up your beef with Song / Playstation if you don't use or haven't signed up to this service. I'd get on to that straight away.

Soldato
I'd be surprised if it was a scam, there's no dodgy link or asking for any details.

Absolutely, the lack of obfuscated links or detail requests makes me think this one is real.

It does seem like a membership renewal, but I have never had the Playstation Plus membership!

Did Sony not give everyone complimentary Plus membership after the kickoff?

Soldato
Be rather worrying if during a period of Sony being down and offline and they autorenew everyones membership.
I can see a second poostorm brewing.

Anyway Acemodder, I had an issue approx 1 year ago with MS Live.
2 paymenst were made to my account to add MS points, using my details and my CC.
I happened to be at home that day, got the confirmation emails, logged in, and changed my password immediately.

I rang MS to cancel or reverse the purchases, they refused saying their systems were totally secure and they couldn't reverse it, as it appeared I had made the purchases.
I was most irritated.
They did offer to launch an xbox live enquiry and get it sorted when IPs were reviewed etc, which I asked them to do. They asked for my xbox360 number.....
I don't own an xbox360, that utterly stumped their fraud team, so the investigation was impossible. They were completely unable to investigate any purchases made, as their 'totally secure system' was unhackable.

Anyway, I fraud dept my CC, and had the charges reversed, left the 11000 points in the account and many months later MS eventually reclaimed them.
In the meantime, other stories identical to my own appears on xbox forums, always met with the perfect answer of we are totally secure. Then PS network failure showed up.
A few months later the xbox forums were radically changed and all old data lost.

Lets see how this business of yours plays out.

Associate
I rang MS to cancel or reverse the purchases, they refused saying their systems were totally secure and they couldn't reverse it, as it appeared I had made the purchases.
I was most irritated.
They did offer to launch an xbox live enquiry and get it sorted when IPs were reviewed etc, which I asked them to do. They asked for my xbox360 number.....
I don't own an xbox360, that utterly stumped their fraud team, so the investigation was impossible. They were completely unable to investigate any purchases made, as their 'totally secure system' was unhackable.

Anyway, I fraud dept my CC, and had the charges reversed, left the 11000 points in the account and many months later MS eventually reclaimed them.
In the meantime, other stories identical to my own appears on xbox forums, always met with the perfect answer of we are totally secure. Then PS network failure showed up.
A few months later the xbox forums were radically changed and all old data lost.

Lets see how this business of yours plays out.

I had this ages ago too on the old site (except I do own a 360 - several). They had mine down as a original 360 core which I never owned (1 console only). They then asked me about my 360 developer account (which I did not have nor couldn't have at the time). They were stumped at their totally secure infallible system too. It only appeared later on my account as that weird XNA developer license thing to all my consoles - not sure if its still going or not. Ended up getting a refund in Microsoft Points.

Soldato
Your name is Lee? :o

Always had you down as being a 'David' sort of person :(

My thoughts exactly:confused::confused::confused:

As for money not being taken out of your account, have you checked that Sony haven't "reserved" it?

For example after you guys at OcUK have persuaded me to buy yet more **** that i don't need, my bank shows for a few days that i still have the full amount as I did before my hording spree, but it only allows me to spend the money that OcUK haven't "reserved" from my account.

Back
Top Bottom