• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Dodgy performance with vega 56

Soldato
Hi all,

I recently got my vega 56 and it’s a lovely thing.

However, combined with my ageing i7 2700k, 16gb ddr3 1600mhz ram and older gigabyte motherboard (from 2012 I think) it struggles to get solid frames in BF5 and a few other demanding titles.

Drivers are up to date, new install of widows and CPU clocked at 4.6ghz. Vega is over clocked too.

I game at 1080p and 144hz freesync.

What’s my best route for a cpu ram and mobo upgrade for around £500-£600 at the moment please? Don’t care if intel or AMD.

Thanks

Soldato
What’s my best route for a cpu ram and mobo upgrade for around £500-£600 at the moment please? Don’t care if intel or AMD.
Hold off for now and wait until the new Ryzen 3000 kit lands and see how all the chips fall.

If the CES demo proves to be as good as suggested, AMD will have closed the per core performance gap to Intel to practically zero, which means Ryzen 3000 will be just as good at gaming as Intel, and a chunk cheaper as well. Even if they haven't, it'll be worth waiting for benchmarks for the games you play to see if Ryzen 3000 is "good enough" for you.

Ultimately right now, your resolution and refresh is largely Intel territory. If that remains the case when Ryzen 3000 comes out then you'll struggle getting a full Intel system for that listed budget; the 9700K is still £380 on its own and personally I wouldn't go less than 8 cores today if I were building something new.

It's really all down to the benchmarks for the games you play.

Soldato
Is your CPU actually holding your GPU back in these titles? Have a look at the GPU and CPU usage during gameplay (I use Afterburner for GPU usage). If you do decide on a CPU upgrade, definitely wait for Ryzen 3000, which should be at least paper launched at Computex (28th May to 1st June).

Soldato
running dx12 ? should help a little!

seems even at that clock speed, might need the extra core/threads as BF1/V likes threads for Multiplayer - specially large firefights .

at 1080p also CPU bound , current ryzen may not see a big increase, would with jumping to 8700k or 9700k but quite costly , though hitting 5ghz all cores is nice and double your current core count

ODE
My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £585.47 (includes shipping: £10.50)

but computex is at the end of the month, worth the wait to see at least

you'll be looking at clock speed , wouldn't bother with core counts above 8 for fast 1080p hz game play personally

Soldato
running dx12 ? should help a little!

seems even at that clock speed, might need the extra core/threads as BF1/V likes threads for Multiplayer - specially large firefights .

at 1080p also CPU bound , current ryzen may not see a big increase, would with jumping to 8700k or 9700k but quite costly , though hitting 5ghz all cores is nice and double your current core count

ODE
Total: £585.47 (includes shipping: £10.50)

but computex is at the end of the month, worth the wait to see at least

you'll be looking at clock speed , wouldn't bother with core counts above 8 for fast 1080p hz game play personally
You forgot to include a £100 240mm AIO cooler that's required to keep its temp in check than throttling the clock speed like no tomorrow :p

Soldato
You forgot to include a £100 240mm AIO cooler that's required to keep its temp in check than throttling the clock speed like no tomorrow :p

dark rock 4 , cryorig...

Total: £196.46 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

but still as mentioned, would keep aye on ryzen 3000 .

Soldato
dark rock 4 , cryorig...

Total: £196.46 (includes shipping: £10.50)

but still as mentioned, would keep aye on ryzen 3000 .
I am waiting for Ryzen 3000 as well for upgrading from my aging Sandybridge. I fought hard fighting off the urge to upgrading during last Black Friday :D

Permabanned
Have you got the latest motherboard bio's?

While this is a good time for the cpu market due to the competition Ryzen's brought to the table right now isn't a good time to buy as next gen Ryzen's just around the corner & it may have a big impact on pricing of what's available today so it may be best to grin & bear it for now.

Looks like I’ve got to sit tight then and wait and see what AMD do.

Thanks for the help all

Good choice.

Soldato
Is your CPU actually holding your GPU back in these titles? Have a look at the GPU and CPU usage during gameplay (I use Afterburner for GPU usage). If you do decide on a CPU upgrade, definitely wait for Ryzen 3000, which should be at least paper launched at Computex (28th May to 1st June).
Not the CPU perhaps but his ram is only 1600 Mhz, he would see quite an uplift going to 2133 Mhz modules.

Soldato
OP
Yeh I can’t clock the ram any higher of course which is a shame.

I’m currently sat in bed with a 24hour old baby sleeping on my chest and it’s allowing my mind to wander lol - currently working out a savings plan in my head for my upcoming computer upgrades without the wife noticing haha!

Associate
Yeh I can’t clock the ram any higher of course which is a shame.

I’m currently sat in bed with a 24hour old baby sleeping on my chest and it’s allowing my mind to wander lol - currently working out a savings plan in my head for my upcoming computer upgrades without the wife noticing haha!

Congrats dude

Back
Top Bottom