Does anyone bother updating their bios?

Associate
I was having a discussion the other day and the question came up that we had a complete difference of opinion over. If your motherboard is behaving fine is it better to update the bios or leave it be?
My way of thinking is if it's working the don't fix it. Others thought they must have the latest version for the sake of having the latest version.

Man of Honour
If it's an early release, then it can be important for performance, stability, compatibility, etc, but for a mature platform I wouldn't bother.

The exception is prior to an upgrade (CPU, RAM or GPU), I'll usually do it then, for maximum compatibility.

Soldato
My rule I usually follow is only update the bios when you know it fixes something or adds a feature you need.

On this board I was on 1.0.0 for long time, first update was to add 9900k compatibility, second update was to add REBAR support.

Soldato
My rule I usually follow is only update the bios when you know it fixes something or adds a feature you need.

I'd probably do it as part of a fresh install, but otherwise same as above. I recently updated my B550 Tomahawk to include SAM support, but can't remember the last time I did a BIOS flash before that, probably in the early 00s!

Associate
Hi, may i jump on this thread to ask a question on the size of the usb flash drive used to flash the bios.

I remember some time back people saying if they used a usb drive larger than 16gb the motherboard would not recognise the usb drive during the flashing process. Is this still the case today.

I am about to order a new usb drive for flashing a new motherboard but wondered if i need to keep the size down. Theres not a lot of difference in price from a 16gb or a 64gb.

Soldato
Hi, may i jump on this thread to ask a question on the size of the usb flash drive used to flash the bios.

I remember some time back people saying if they used a usb drive larger than 16gb the motherboard would not recognise the usb drive during the flashing process. Is this still the case today.

I am about to order a new usb drive for flashing a new motherboard but wondered if i need to keep the size down. Theres not a lot of difference in price from a 16gb or a 64gb.

I use an old 8Gb drive no issues.

Associate
I always do. In particular while so many releases of AMD ComboAM4PIV2.
Incidentally, just noticed the latest BIOS has gone from beta v172 to stable 17 (which is an increase in version number). Although, the release date is some time ago (6th July).

Soldato
I would but it seems like the latest Bios for my board is in perpetual beta(I want one thats not in beta), its been months. My current bios has been running relatively fine although the keyboard does sometimes not turn on with the computer

Associate
In my experience the beta releases very rarely give issues but they do fix other things. I expect that the manufacturer is confident that they are stable but just want to throw it through many many hardware setups before they commit.

Back
Top Bottom