Does anyone collect vintage cameras?

Soldato
I've been collecting cameras for a good few years, nothing special just the odd charity shop spot for a tenner here and there. It's been added to by a few family hand downs, again nothing fancy (I don't think).

I made a list of them all at the weekend which you can view at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VJ1-C2GKHLGL-kRdwgqG9bAIlkWITKBKfxEUnfN1tQY. Nothing special or rare in there (I don't think), but that hasn't been the point as they're just ornaments.

However it'd be nice to start collecting them 'properly', nothing crazy, just either models that were important steps in history or slighter rarer/unusual ones. I've tried looking for good resources but can't really find any that are useful and not overwhelming.

Can anyone point me in the right direction, either of resources or specific models etc? And died anyone else have a collection?

Soldato
I love old cameras but I only have a Box Brownie at the moment. Like many antiques, you can pick them up for next to nothing and there's another at a nearby shop for a mere £12 which I will nab at some point.

Soldato
I'd love you but at the moment I have no funds to be able to do this. Just moved into a new home so any money spent is on the house.

I really like the look of vintage cameras.

I do have a Canon EOS 30D, Panasonic LX100, GX80 and GX9. I guess this is my "digital" collection.

Kei

Kei

Soldato
I have a fair collection of old cameras, though some are probably not yet considered vintage. Oldest camera I have is the Voigtlander Bessa (1940) and a Franka Rolfix (1951) which are both 6x9/6x6 folding cameras. The Franka has been in the family from new and still gets used every now and then.

My mamiya medium format kit. (M645 1000S and M645J are mid late 70's, the RZ67 Pro II is mid 90's and the 645 AFD is post millennium)

I also have a couple of Canon FD bodies and a jammed Pentax ME super that I've been meaning to fix.

Soldato
I'd love you but at the moment I have no funds to be able to do this. Just moved into a new home so any money spent is on the house.

I really like the look of vintage cameras.

I do have a Canon EOS 30D, Panasonic LX100, GX80 and GX9. I guess this is my "digital" collection.

To be fair the two that I bought were just twenty quid each. So it doesn't break the bank. Both appear to be in good order maybe a wee bit of fungus on the lens but I should be able to clean that up no problem.

Nice collection @Kei

Soldato
I know nothing about them but those Mamiya's are sexy.

I got lost looking at reviews of 135mm primes (M42; I already have an adapter for my Helios 50/f2 onto my Fuji). Can anyone recommend one? Some amount of centre sharpness would be nice, but I'm looking for character really and preferably around the £20-30mark.

Associate

I got lost looking at reviews of 135mm primes (M42; I already have an adapter for my Helios 50/f2 onto my Fuji). Can anyone recommend one? Some amount of centre sharpness would be nice, but I'm looking for character really and preferably around the £20-30mark.

pentax forum used to have good reviews and sample shots, i think
i have a pentacon 135mm/2.8 that i really like, abit washed out colour but i like that effect, my dads old carl ziess jena 3.5 i think has rich colours, and in general pentax takumar lenses have the best feel (how focus feels to move) and really good optics too

if you want something smaller, the theres old leica mount stuff, the longer range stuff is normally pretty cheap as rangefinder sucks for telephoto :)

Kei

Kei

Soldato
I wouldn't necessarily describe it as "interesting", more like good or smooth. It has 15 iris blades which makes for a very circular aperture. That said, there is a version that has only 6 iris blades. The Tair 11A looks to be near identical to the pentacon.

Soldato

I seem to have developed a love for 135mm lenses, something I've never considered before. I acquired a Canon FD 135mm F2.8 last year to use with my Sony A7 bodies. Haven't done a lot yet just a few in the garden.
43472918590_e4d3eaa703_b.jpg

45287350521_52430fb5cc_b.jpg

45287353231_32fb1b301d_b.jpg

and a family one
49014964083_839fd33ccb_c.jpg

A shot of a "vintage" camera with a modern Sigma Art 135mm f1.8

31506736748_4b4c1a4684_b.jpg

Soldato
Very nice!
Thanks. Another significant advantage for me is comparative weight. At the moment I'm somewhat temporarily disabled with carpal tunnel syndrome in my right hand. Mirrorless bodies may be smaller than DSLR's but the FF lenses are massive and ATM I simply can't hold them.
For example, the Canon FD vintage 135mm f2.8 here weighs 400gm while the Sigma 135mm weighs 1.33Kg!

Back
Top Bottom