• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Does G-Sync still carry much relevance?

Soldato
Putting aside stock shortages for one second and on the assumption that all cards are plentiful (Yes, I know, hard to imagine).

What relevance does G-Sync carry with current model GPUs?

AMD seem to very slightly edge performance in the "lower top" category - This is what I class as spending good money on getting something high performance, but without straying into "that is just stupid" territory - Like going for an i7 CPU over an i9, because the i7 is more than enough for gaming and the benefits of the i9 wouldn't be worth the money. If that makes sense?

So the 6900XT seems to edge the 3080 using this analogy. But would the 6900XT be worth it in terms of losing G-SYNC, given I have a S-YNC monitor which I have no appetite to replace at the current time?

My gut is telling me Nvidia would still be the best option?

Soldato
Putting aside stock shortages for one second and on the assumption that all cards are plentiful (Yes, I know, hard to imagine).

AMD seem to very slightly edge performance in the "lower top" category - This is what I class as spending good money on getting something high performance, but without straying into "that is just stupid" territory - Like going for an i7 CPU over an i9, because the i7 is more than enough for gaming and the benefits of the i9 wouldn't be worth the money. If that makes sense?

So the 6900XT seems to edge the 3080 using this analogy. But would the 6900XT be worth it in terms of losing G-SYNC, given I have a S-YNC monitor which I have no appetite to replace at the current time?

My gut is telling me Nvidia would still be the best option?

Depends on the monitor and resolution and whether your monitor is a true gsync one (with module) or gsync compatible. For having a 6900xt or 3080 also depending on what you game you wouldnt necessarily have to worry about FPS and therefore G-Sync might not actually be needed.

In other words. Need more information as to your setup.

Soldato
Some form of variable refresh rate is essential imo. Whether that's G-Sync, G-Sync Compatible, or FreeSync doesn't matter so much.

You'll want to stay with Nvidia to keep your G-Sync working. Being locked to Nvidia was known at the time you purchased a G-Sync monitor so it's the tradeoff you chose.

Soldato

It's more relevant than ever and will continue to be more important as graphics cards get more powerful and monitors try to keep up being around 240hz currently.

I haven't had a monitor without g-sync for many years but I imagine I'd have quite a bit of noticeable screen tearing if I didn't, you might need to use vsync if you didn't have have freesync when using an AMD card.

Soldato
I have a gsync monitor (Asus Rog) and can't imagine being without it tbh.

Variable refresh is a must and one of the best technology advances in screen display. I'd have it over HDR for example.

Soldato
OP
I have dual Asus ROG PG279Q monitors - Only one used a a time for gaming.

The rest of the main internals are an 8700k on a Z370 chipset mobo OC @ 5ghz and 16GB Team Group DDR 4 @ 3600

AX860i powering it.

Soldato
I have dual Asus ROG PG279Q monitors - Only one used a a time for gaming.

The rest of the main internals are an 8700k on a Z370 chipset mobo OC @ 5ghz and 16GB Team Group DDR 4 @ 3600

AX860i powering it.

What GPU have you got now ? Also depends on the game, if you only play Warzone for instance which with either card is 175fps+ then G-Sync wont even be used. The sensible option would be Nvidia but then again if you dont necessarily need a new card wait to see what happens with the 4xxx release.

Whichever you go for for the next year or so stock is going to be low. Its just with the 6900xt you can pretty much buy that now if you are prepared to pay £1400. 3080 its a bit harder unless you actively look for a 3080 FE. Also remember in most/some case the 6900xt is faster. Then again do you want RTX then go Nvidia.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Bought my first Gsync monitor which had the module in it pretty much as soon as they came out. I have had several monitors since then with my current LGCX48 and 55 both being compatible now and without module but I couldnt do without it. To of not seen a screen tear in a decade or so is a luxury I am very grateful for.

Soldato
Proper G Sync (I.e. with a module) is worth it IMO in some scenarios, because it offers variable overdrive.

This means that the pixel response times adapt to the refresh rate, removing ghosting/overdrive where possible, throughout the refresh rate range.

Furthermore, it’s also a higher level of certification, which can result in a better implemented solution, with greater VRR range and lack of flickering etc

A good monitor will have these features baked in regardless, but we all know that this isn’t a given, and manufacturers will try and get away with doing the bare minimum to sell volume.

I guess a way to think of it is a minimum standard approval.

Soldato
OP
What GPU have you got now ? Also depends on the game, if you only play Warzone for instance which with either card is 175fps+ then G-Sync wont even be used. The sensible option would be Nvidia but then again if you dont necessarily need a new card wait to see what happens with the 4xxx release.

Whichever you go for for the next year or so stock is going to be low. Its just with the 6900xt you can pretty much buy that now if you are prepared to pay £1400. 3080 its a bit harder unless you actively look for a 3080 FE. Also remember in most/some case the 6900xt is faster. Then again do you want RTX then go Nvidia.

Currently running a Titan X (Pascal).

Games I play vary massively - playing a lot of GTFO at the moment, was playing COD a lot but not so much now. Secret World Legends is surprisingly very GPU intense and then just started with Cyberpunk, which is where I’m starting to notice some struggles.

Soldato
When people ask me about buying a monitor now I recommend a gsync and Freesync monitor as it does not lock them into any brand. I think the Gsync only monitors are a bad decision these days as being locked into any brand is not a good move. It's not like the monitors that do both will be noticeably off compared to a gsync module only screen.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
When people ask me about buying a monitor now I recommend a gsync and Freesync monitor as it does not lock them into any brand. I think the Gsync only monitors are a bad decision these days as being locked into any brand is not a good move. It's not like the monitors that do both will be noticeably off compared to a gsync module only screen.
+1

Soldato
Currently running a Titan X (Pascal).

Games I play vary massively - playing a lot of GTFO at the moment, was playing COD a lot but not so much now. Secret World Legends is surprisingly very GPU intense and then just started with Cyberpunk, which is where I’m starting to notice some struggles.

Get a Nvidia GPU and keep Gsync. The difference between the 6900XT and the 3080 isn't worth losing Gysnc over.

Back
Top Bottom