• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Does it matter what GPU manufacturer I buy from?

Soldato
Hi guys

I'm looking to upgrade an AMD R9 290X.

I can't spend a huge amount on cards, so the Ti series are out.

It seems that the Nvidia RX 2070 seems to be a decent mid-range card, often beating 1080s in many tests.

Question is...which manufacturer do I buy from?

Do they all have different fans on?
Do some run faster than others?
Are some worse with RMA than others?

I can't find any reviews that actually compare companies with like-for-like models so I'm a bit stuck!

Can anyone explain it?

Thanks!

For anyone interested this is the build I'm looking at, I've asked more advice about this build in this thread, but this was a specific query about GPUs.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £783.53 (includes shipping: £18.60)

Soldato
Fans all do the same job, keep the cards at safe temps, the only difference tends to be how fast they spin to do that, cheaper cards can have smaller fans or less blades so need to spin faster, adding to noise.

The more expensive AIB cards supposedly come with the 'A' grade GPU silicon, to allow for better overclocking, at least in theory.

When it comes to an RMA, its basically a case of the least worse company, because the whole RMA procedure generally sucks donkey balls regardless of card manufacturer. Its best not to think about this until you have to :)

Soldato
OP
lol cheers Cooper. I'm going to go with Zotac, they have a 5 year warranty and I think I read elsewhere here that's it's all handled through OCUK, so that'll do me!

Associate
Some may disagree with this, but i avoid triple fan cards now as the last one i had, one of the fans broke a month before the three year warranty was up. Its just one more chance of something failing if you have three vs two. Their uk RMA was extremely easy to use however, but would rather get a better two fan vs cheaper three. Oh, and watch out for pcb sag on long cards.

Id also go with Zotac or EVGA for their long warranties if you plan to keep it for ages

Soldato
OP
Zotac have a UK RMA so I'm good there Quartz, cheers.

You may have a point there Calo, on the other hand would a 3 fan system be cooler and keep the components going for longer? Who knows!

Still, I've ordered now so fingers crossed for when it gets here. Thanks everyone for the help! :D

Back
Top Bottom