Does My Corsair H50 Need Reseating??

Associate
Have gotten 1.275 voltages for both Vcore & QPI in bios at 4GHz on the system in my sig. Whilst running 25 passed with LinX, Realtemp is reading my max temps as 84,83,81,79. Now these seem high for me with apache fans in pull/push setup on this cooler, i have also used MX-3. I know i had a bit of trouble applying the mx-3, so am wondering if ive maybe put a bit too much on? How did you guys fit the H50 to your cpu after applying the paste?

I myself applied the paste to the CPU, losely scewed the h50 bracket to the mobo, and the place the base pump into the bracket and truned it clockwise until i had it where i wanted and the screwed down the mounting bracket.

Associate
OP
Not sure dont have a thermometer, how do you measure temps in your room. My mobo temp is 36c, which gives a slight indication of the tmep in the case. But if i was to guess i would say room temps about 19-20c

Soldato
I'm not sure what sort of temperatures you were expecting? 4.2GHz is hefty overclock, and that's pretty much what you'd expect from a decent air cooler. Are both fans running at the same speed ie. are they running through a PWM splitter off the CPU motherboard header? Finally, you are sure they're both blowing in the same direction? I know it sounds obvious, but you'd be surprised...

Soldato
My case temp is 25c~ and the hottest core gets to 77c so it is hot if your case temp is the same or less then that. Did you screw the pump down tight enough?

Soldato
I beg your pardon, got my threads mixed up. Even for 4GHz it's not a silly temperature on one of these coolers. I keep telling people they're a bit carp, but no-one believes me.

They are not crap at all. The one I use is excellent, gives me low temps and it's quiet, takes up less room than the Megahalems I had before and IMO is equal to them in performance. See for yourself......

45hoursprimeblend191x2168c.jpg

42occtstable.jpg

Associate
OP
My case temp is 25c~ and the hottest core gets to 77c so it is hot if your case temp is the same or less then that. Did you screw the pump down tight enough?

Yeah i believe so, i didnt want to over tighten them though, does the pump actually lock into place so it can be turned anymore, or do you just have to line it up the so the bracket is push down on the contact points on the pump?

And looking Gaidin's temps he has a higher clock, higher vcore, yet his temps are around are 8c lower mine on the highest core

Last edited:
Soldato
You can't over tighten them the screws bottom out at the right tightness. If your case temp is 8c hotter then his case temp then in essence you are getting the same performance as gaidin is.

Regarding your stability issues what you need to do is test each of the 3 main things that limit an overclock separatly (cpu cores, QPI, Ram) at the moment you just seem to be randomly changing stuff thus not know which thing is failing when it does.

Last edited:
Soldato
Have to agree with Gaidin109, ive had the H50 for approx 1 week now , my temps have lowered loads and the kit is small and extremly quiet,crap is one word i wouldnt describe the H50

Soldato
Well, the difference between my testing and most of yours is that I have a wide range of kit to test it on, rather than just a single 'good' D0.

I have no doubt that Gaidin109 and BUlldog1407 are getting good results with their systems, but the moment anyone posts saying they can't replicate their results they are accused of having a carp chip or they haven't got it installed right.

It's a very ordinary, and quite expensive, solution. As more people get them this will become apparent. I also suspect that build quality isn't as uniform as it could be. In the same way that variable build quality sharply divided those who had good results with the AC Freezer 7 Pro from those who didn't, I think that a fair few of these probably have air in them or rattly pumps.

I think if you have a 'good' low VID CPU then these are fine, but still no better than a good air cooler. If you don't have a particularly cool chip then teh limitations of these become apparent fairly quickly, just as it would with a good air cooler.

Soldato
I havent ready much into it, but is their some people just using the Corsair fan? some people maybe using two better quality fans etc?

Like I said not sure if it makes a great deal of difference as I havent read in depth about it.

Soldato
I havent ready much into it, but is their some people just using the Corsair fan? some people maybe using two better quality fans etc?

Like I said not sure if it makes a great deal of difference as I havent read in depth about it.
im just using the corsair fan as i havent needed to use my Noctua fans that i used on my air cooler.
im getting excellent temps without using a push pull system also very very happy with the product overall.

Soldato
Well regarding my room temps, i just found my old temp gun i used to use for my R.C car, just fired it across the room, and came back with a temp of 30c

Is it the type of IR thermometer that shines a red light on a surface?

In that case the wall or whatever you pointed it at was 30C. To get an accurate air temperature you need an air probe. Even conventional wet/dry bulb thermometers under-read because of evaporative cooling.

Associate
haven't oc my system yet as still waiting for some RAM (pinched 2gb of Kingston off a friend to build her) but I'm quite impressed with the H50 so far. It's quiet in my case, does the job admirably and doesn't foul my ram slots, something a good air cooler would with my board. Fitting was easy, too easy really, I'm not fussed with the retention method, but hey so far it's cuprinol :)

3935304910_b66ac27539.jpg

Soldato
Well, the difference between my testing and most of yours is that I have a wide range of kit to test it on, rather than just a single 'good' D0.

I have no doubt that Gaidin109 and BUlldog1407 are getting good results with their systems, but the moment anyone posts saying they can't replicate their results they are accused of having a carp chip or they haven't got it installed right.

It's a very ordinary, and quite expensive, solution. As more people get them this will become apparent. I also suspect that build quality isn't as uniform as it could be. In the same way that variable build quality sharply divided those who had good results with the AC Freezer 7 Pro from those who didn't, I think that a fair few of these probably have air in them or rattly pumps.

I think if you have a 'good' low VID CPU then these are fine, but still no better than a good air cooler. If you don't have a particularly cool chip then teh limitations of these become apparent fairly quickly, just as it would with a good air cooler.

I had no idea you had an inventory of my equipment.

Back
Top Bottom