Does Paypal offer buyer protection if paying to someone from facebook?

Associate
Hi,
I'm browsing used items on Facebook. I'm not at all familiar with Facebook but I have discovered the Marketplace. Lots of used stuff for sale. I'm possibly about to commit to a purchase for a couple of hundred pounds. A sim racing shifter.
My question is, If I use Paypal to pay a member for an item, will I have buyer protection?
Mainly to ensure the item is actually sent to me and also that it is as described?

As far as I can see, a used electronic item is covered as long as It's sent by tracked courier or post.
In this case it's an individual seller. Not a business.

I also read that some sort of invoice created/ sent via Facebook seller might be necessary or advisable?

Your advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

Associate
Hi,
I'm browsing used items on Facebook. I'm not at all familiar with Facebook but I have discovered the Marketplace. Lots of used stuff for sale. I'm possibly about to commit to a purchase for a couple of hundred pounds. A sim racing shifter.
My question is, If I use Paypal to pay a member for an item, will I have buyer protection?
Mainly to ensure the item is actually sent to me and also that it is as described?

As far as I can see, a used electronic item is covered as long as It's sent by tracked courier or post.
In this case it's an individual seller. Not a business.

I also read that some sort of invoice created/ sent via Facebook seller might be necessary or advisable?

Your advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks.
Yes https://www.paypal-community.com/t5...uying-from-facebook-market-place/td-p/2678995

Soldato
Assuming you use the option to pay for goods or services then yes, you should be covered. If you choose to send it as a gift/friends & family, then there is no protection - if the seller asks you to do this then walk away!

Associate
OP

Assuming you use the option to pay for goods or services then yes, you should be covered. If you choose to send it as a gift/friends & family, then there is no protection - if the seller asks you to do this then walk away!

Thank you. Much appreciated. As long as I'm careful to adhere to Paypal and Facebook guidelines I feel more comfortable.
Thank you.

Soldato
As stated Paypal will cover you if paying by Goods/Services.

Marketplace on FB can be a good place to find a bargain however it's unregulated nature means it's a scammer's paradise. Anyone asks you to pay Friends/Family or bank transfer then walk away.

Associate
OP
Cash on collection to save yourself a **** load of hassle.

Agreed, but a 400 mile round trip sort of makes it a bit difficult.

As stated Paypal will cover you if paying by Goods/Services.

Marketplace on FB can be a good place to find a bargain however it's unregulated nature means it's a scammer's paradise. Anyone asks you to pay Friends/Family or bank transfer then walk away.

Yes, that's what I was worried about. Still, if I stick to Paypal guidelines It should be worth a risk. Minimised risk, thanks to Paypal buyer protection, but a risk all the same.

Soldato
Yes use the goods and services option and youre protected. I sell loads of model trains of facebook and had no issues yet.

Also bear in mind if youre using goods and services it has to be posted to the paypal address so they buyer gets his protection as well

Associate
OP
Yes use the goods and services option and youre protected. I sell loads of model trains of facebook and had no issues yet.

Also bear in mind if youre using goods and services it has to be posted to the paypal address so they buyer gets his protection as well

Bought the shifter. Paid via paypal invoice. Tracking number says it has been received by courier and is now in transit. So far looking good. Good tip about the paypal address. I wasn't aware of that. Fortunately it is one and the same.

Soldato
I treat Facebook Marketplace like a kind of local classifieds therefore I'd only buy something cash on collection within a reasonable distance that I'm happy to travel. Don't treat it like eBay.

Associate
OP
Update: I got my shifter. All working and in perfect condition as the seller promised. My first attempt at distance buying on Facebook was a success. Happy days.
Learned a bit about Facebook marketplace and PayPal, invoices and such.

Also had separate dealings with a different seller who wasn’t willing to do invoice method. I knew this one was a scammer before I even contacted them. I do love a bit of scammer baiting Ooh, I am naughty. scammer Pleading for PayPal friends method. Long story short on this. I ran a mile, but only after I did a bit of scam baiting with the lowlife scum.
I see what you mean when you say Facebook is a scammers paradise.

Back
Top Bottom