Does such a cable exist? DC to Type C

Man of Honour
Hi all

Just cogitating over making things a little neater at home.

I have a mesh WiFi network each AP is powered by a USB type c power supply 12v 2A. They are not PoE APs unfortunately. They are however all connected to the physical network rather than creating a mesh network using WiFi.

I have a PoE switch that I use to power up some CCTV cameras but wondered if I could use it to power up the APs.

I have a power splitter that outputs 5-9-12V but offers a DC to DC jack.

My question is, can I get a DC jack to USB C cable that would power the AP? If not what could be a neat alternative?

The reason is that I'd like to remove the power supply if possible to make it a little neater rather than have a cable/ trunking along the wall.

Hopefully that makes sense!

Associate
Be aware that a lot of USB-C power supplies and devices do a degree of handshaking before power supply begins. That being said, there are some power supplies I have seen with USB-C outlets from 5 up to 20 volts that can charge/run a variety of devices including Laptops. Have a look for USB-C Power Delivery (PD) adapters, assuming that route would fit your needs. I also note various USB-C to barrel-type connectors for Laptops, whether one of these in reverse could suit your needs. Good luck!

Caporegime
It's a bit strange to have a power brick with a USB-C cable on the end of it delivering 12v without it negotiating anything. And if it's negotiating then that seems like an overly expensive way to power some mesh APs.

You can definitely get PoE splitters that do USB PD but the cost involved just to avoid using up a power outlet seems high.

Back
Top Bottom