Does the heatsink have to cover the whole CPU?

Soldato
Would this effect the cooling on a Ryzen 3000 CPU? or is the chip in the middle and the edges of the heat spreader don't matter that much?

gt8bhz6d6hd31.jpg

Soldato
It's not critical to get it covered 100% but that does look fairly exposed! Though Intel chips have a lip around the edge so look a little smaller on top.

What cooler is it? Is it AM4 compatible by design?

Soldato
OP
It's not critical to get it covered 100% but that does look fairly exposed! Though Intel chips have a lip around the edge so look a little smaller on top.

What cooler is it? Is it AM4 compatible by design?

Arctic freezer 34 esports duo yes it comes with AM4 mounts, I have read some reviews seems to cool ryzen cpus well?

Man of Honour
The Ryzen package(s) tend to spread out more under the IHS than typical with Intel so it might not be ideal but it isn't critical to cover the entire CPU aslong as a good area is covered and good contact.

Soldato
OP
You can see the chip let layout in this thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/ccrisu/ryzen_3000_ihs_orientation_vs_the_position_of/

You can figure out the best orientation for your cooler. Ideally you want your heat pipes sat as close to the CPU chipset as possible.

Looks like it might cover it then I was just worried about long term effect on the cpu if its not covering the whole IHS, I guess most coolers are designed with chipset in the middle, any idea if their any air coolers that do cover the whole IHS?

Soldato
Looks like it might cover it then I was just worried about long term effect on the cpu if its not covering the whole IHS, I guess most coolers are designed with chipset in the middle, any idea if their any air coolers that do cover the whole IHS?
If it's a cooler with a plate on the bottom rather than direct contact heatpipes, it'll be a bit better. They tend to spread out the heat.

Caporegime

Covering the whole IHS is not an issue providing the chiplets are covered and temps are ok. You wont be transferring much heat to the heatsink at the edges of the heatspreader.

Soldato
Would this effect the cooling on a Ryzen 3000 CPU? or is the chip in the middle and the edges of the heat spreader don't matter that much?
As others have said should be okay. All the cooler base need to cover is the area where CPU chips are .. and at least 2 outside edges of IHS. Keep in mind that CPU IHS is not really heat spreader as much as it is a load distribution cover. They are sized so their edges are just outside of connection pin area on bottom of CPU and motherboard. This is done so mounting pressure does not flex in the area with all the connections / pins so they don't get bend and not make contact. Keep in mind there are 100's / 1000/s of these connections between CPU and motherboard and all have to make proper contact for system to work.

I don't trust the word of many of the company companies out there. They say whatever will sell product, meaning their word is about as credible to me as a carney barker saying you can't loose. Just look at all the carp pumped out by CLC companies about their cooling ability vs air cooling. :p

Back
Top Bottom