Does the the graphics card have to in the first PCI-e slot???

Associate
Hi all.

I have a small problem. I’ve just got myself a Evga GTX 1080 ti and I can’t fit the thing without it hitting the CPU cooler.
rolleyes.gif

Can any of you remember back if x79 boards like my Asus Rampage 4 Extreme Black Edt can have the Graphics card installed in any of the lower PCIe slots without there being any problems? I’ve lost the manual in a house move, but I’m sure I can remember that it’s only the top PCIe lane that is x16 and the rest are x8, but I could be wrong.
I could get myself a hydro cooler and that would cure the problem, but I’m not looking to spend any more money on this system to save for the new boards coming out late summer.
Any suggestions welcome.

Associate
regardless of whether it is x8 or x16, I doubt you'll notice much difference, unless benching.

a friend runs his 980ti in his third slot with no issues (x79 sabertooth)

Associate
I had my GPU installed on an 8x on my last board and the performance was horrendous. Had to get a new CPU cooler

Man of Honour
I had my GPU installed on an 8x on my last board and the performance was horrendous. Had to get a new CPU cooler

On some boards you have to manually set the 2nd/last PCI-e x16 slot to certain speeds depending on what slots you want enabled otherwise it might run at 1x or 4x if the other <16x slots are active and/or depending on CPU and other devices might not have enough lanes for full speeds.

Associate
OP
Not that this really matters anymore, because I did manage to fit the card in a lower X16 PCIe slot, but I did find this YouTube vid that proves that it doesn't much difference.

Back
Top Bottom