Does your mobile phone network support 5G where you live?

Soldato
I live in a town in Surrey. It is a reasonably expensive area with a large population, so I would assume it would be a perfect place to put in a 5G network, but none of the mobile phone networks supports 5G here. Do you have to live in a major city to get 5G connectivity? Is there any way to determine when 5G is due in your area?

Soldato
Only one network has it here (mid-sized town), but I don't have a 5G phone so don't care for now.

Haven't had reliable signal for calls the whole decade I've lived here, on any network, so I'm on PAYG and use approx nothing. My phone is an expensive mp3 player and whatsapp machine.

Soldato
Yes 5G in most places in London and outer London. Not seen much real world advantage over 4G as it already did the job. Could already stream 4k video which is the most demanding thing I need.

Soldato
At home I'm lucky to get 2G inside as we live in a bit of a dip with other houses surrounding ours in adjacent streets - outside I can get 4G just about but talking 10-15Mbps tops.

Have to go into the city to get 5G but to be honest it's no faster than the 4G so EE have a fair bit of work to do to improve the overall Stoke area.

Soldato
5G is completely fine when I'm in Central London and outer London via EE, the issue is the handoff between masts when travelling in and out of the city ends up stalling. Not an issue on 4G, so I switched to 4G since 5G doesn't really provide me any benefits.

Back
Top Bottom