Does your mobile phone network support 5G where you live?

Soldato
Live in zone 3 west London and am literally on the border of 5G signal. Stupid NIMBYs are protesting against putting a new mast in the allotments to fix this because ya know.. cancer/COVID lol :rolleyes:

Doesn't really bother me, sometimes I get 5G in the garden, sometimes not. As soon as I walk out the front of the house and into town I do, and if I'm in central London I do. 5G always seems a little pointless in London when you're commuting on the tube or at home/office with wifi. I couldn't care either way.

Soldato
Yes, but sometimes I feel it's no faster than 4G. But for me, it appears that my 4G provider is so over subscribed, even though I have full bars nothing, and I mean nothing loads. I can't even send messages over Data.

So even though 5G isn't always that fast, it at least always works for me.

Soldato
Had it for will over a year now, as unofficial coverage due to good LoS, now it is officially covered I get better speeds up to 1.2Gbps down and 120Mbps up, but usually it's 800/70. I use 5G as my home broadband connection and would never go back to land based until the prices become more sensible or there is more competition in my area, on the very edge of a town/village.

Soldato
O2 in living Notts but working in Lichfield...while it states 5G in both places I've yet to experience anything like the advertised 5G speed. Yesterday with a full 5G network it was buffering while streaming Spotify and on the few speed tests I've done I haven't seen above 10mb.
I'm convinced that O2's 5G is just 4G rebranded or that its throttled somehow.

Soldato
5G works great round our whole town, with EE at least. Can't speak for other networks. There’s an EE mast in direct LOS of my works office building amongst a bunch of others.

At home it’s about 100/20Mb, but I have Virgin 1Gb so not fussed lol. I have noticed on one.network that outside my estate on the main road, EE are scheduled to build a new 5G telecoms mast 18-20th July it states. Very interested what speeds I can get at home when that's commissioned! :D

hpQhmTq.png

Soldato
O2 in living Notts but working in Lichfield...while it states 5G in both places I've yet to experience anything like the advertised 5G speed. Yesterday with a full 5G network it was buffering while streaming Spotify and on the few speed tests I've done I haven't seen above 10mb.
I'm convinced that O2's 5G is just 4G rebranded or that its throttled somehow.
Back when I was with O2 and later on giffgaff I always found their 4G speeds were capped, wouldn't surprise me if they were still doing it with 5G.

Soldato
Oh yes that wouldnt surprise me either....I've just done another Speedtest out of interest....check out that rapid upload speed :cry:

7nUZpYD.jpg
Another thing to note all 5G in the UK currently is not true standalone 5G (5G SA), it's currently 5G NSA (non-standalone) so I believe the upload is still using LTE. But even then... what is up with that upload? That's even worse than 3G! :eek:

Back
Top Bottom