Doh ! (MOT)

CSA

CSA

Associate
my car tax is due end of this month so i thought this morning id get online and pay for it, so i get all my documents handy they looked at the MOT only to realise its expired 2 days ago DOH !!

so now its booked into the counsil MOT place for 7:30am in the morning but where do i stand about still driving the car ? do you get so many days to renew the mot ? or am i not allowed to drive it now ?

Soldato
I understand that if you have purchased your tax disc online, there is now a 5 day grace period. Having said that, I assume this only applies if you purchased the disc online before it expired.

Soldato
I think the fact it has no MOT might be more the issue. Don't know the answer though, dvla site is your friend heh. I'd guess you could only drive it to the test station.

Soldato
MOT wise you are allowed to drive it to your pre-booked test, should it fail you are also allowed to drive it to a place to have the necessary remedial work carried out and back for a (prebooked) retest. These journeys should all be direct. (ie no going to the MOT test via the supermarket etc) and you cannot drive it anywhere else.

Soldato
If the MOT has expired, you can't use the car.

No grace period on this one.

Kaiowas said it perfectly ;)

Soldato
When you get the new certificate, put the sticker in the top left corner of your windscreen - you'll never forget it then :)

Associate
You need to check your insurance policy as some insurance companies say that if your MOT expires you are not insured to drive your car even to the MOT centre. I found this out the day mine was about to expire :(

CSA

CSA

Associate
OP
will check that cheers , luckily i managed to get the motor into a mot center TODAY so cancelled the morning appointment, hopefully it should be all sorted by tea time :)

Soldato
Dont drive it if it fails unless your taking it back for a re test which your allowed to do as long as its booked in.

Soldato
"No MOT" is non-endorseable (so no points), but as has been said already you're only allowed to drive it to and from an MOT centre for a pre-booked test. Drive past anything with ANPR and they'll pull you.

CSA

CSA

Associate
OP
all sorted now , passed without issue and this time ive stuck the little sticker to the inside of the screen :D

Soldato
I realise you have this sorted, but I had a similar problem and thought I'd post what I found for anyone else. My car had been on a SORN since May. Since then, the insurance and MoT had both run out.

I had meant to phone up the local traffic bobbies and ask, but I happened to walk past a parked up ANPR Evo so tapped on the window and asked if he had a second. To my surprise he had me jump in the back and I asked what the policy was (this was is in South Yorks by the way, it might vary by force).

He told me that as long as I had current insurance I would be ok to drive the most direct route between both the test centre and a Post Office without any dramas.

Top Bottom