Dolby atmos

Soldato
I have Atmos 5.1.2 currently using the Kef R50’s on top of Kef R500’s.

Only on very limited amount of content do you get a very obvious “from above” sensation (John Wick last scene in the rain sounds great with the rain and thunder). The majority of soundtracks though seem to simply feel more encapsulating for want of a better word, rather than a really obvious pinpoint effect.

I wouldn’t say the R50’s were totally worth the £600 or thereabouts that I paid for them, although the design and fact they fit with the R500’s was a big factor in choosing them. Perhaps cheaper Atmos speakers would more appropriate considering the amount of content out there.

Gaming wise, Gears 4 in Atmos works well, but again it’s about the only game currently that seems to work with Atmos.

Soldato
No, not yet have to wait until new place, ceiling speakers and new av pre. But I do have power amps spare

The majority of soundtracks though seem to simply feel more encapsulating for want of a better word, rather than a really obvious pinpoint effect.

You have to wonder if a higher end 5.1 or 7.1 will be better than a lower end atmos system though, as better quality side/surrounds could make up with better sound staging

Soldato
It sounds brilliant to the point where we are swapping back from streaming towards blurays. The biggest problem is lack of content and recently a lot of Atmos soundtracks are only being put on the 4k/HDR disks while the basic blurays get downgraded to DTS/Digital+.

Soldato
wonder if is there a "virtual atmos" expanding regular 5.1 mixes with height DSP. Even with older DSP like Logic 7 on stereo and Pro-Logic it does a amazing job, even watching 50's mono movies bring out surround effect (speech in center, arrows flying from behind, with delay etc)

Associate
Does anyone have a Dolby atmos 5.1.2 surround?

What are your thoughts?

I've had it for a couple of years now and really enjoy it.

I couldn't accommodate ceiling speakers and tried some 'up firing speakers' but settled on height speakers as a better compromise.

There are a decent amount of Blu Rays with Atmos ;
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=248132

But most of the new releases are on UHD discs now.

Atmos is also currently on Netflix and SkyQ and an update for Apple TV is in the Works

Associate
I've got it but as others said - just waiting on the content.
LG tv has a dolby app with some demos that sound pretty cool - under water shot of a wave rolling and breaking overhead and then behind is really good as are the rain effects.

I have up firing speakers as cant put holes in roof. Got a good deal on a pre-opened pair (always worth checking that section of AV websites btw!).
I think they're good for more ambient overhead sounds like rain etc where speakers in the roof would give more positional sounds. I'm happy enough as reckon you'd need 4 roof speakers to really make that shine. One day I'll get the lotto win and have that 7.2.4 ;)

Caporegime
Only on very limited amount of content do you get a very obvious “from above” sensation (John Wick last scene in the rain sounds great with the rain and thunder). The majority of soundtracks though seem to simply feel more encapsulating for want of a better word, rather than a really obvious pinpoint effect.

I think they're good for more ambient overhead sounds like rain etc where speakers in the roof would give more positional sounds. I'm happy enough as reckon you'd need 4 roof speakers to really make that shine. One day I'll get the lotto win and have that 7.2.4 ;)

That's why they are called 'Atmos' speakers! It's for added atmosphere :D

I bought the PSB Imagine XA speakers last year, so I have 5.1.2

I'm lucky that my room (by Dolbys standard) is very well suited to upward firing speakers. They were £349 for the pair and I traded in some old KEF Egg's that had scratches all over them and got a decent chunk of money off, so I only ended up paying about £200.

You don't need to be spending £600 on KEFs R50's IMO, as of all the surround speakers, they are probably the least important ones.

But there are times when they work really well. Recently watched all 8 Harry Potter movies on UHD and they have DTS X, which also utilise atmos speakers and some things were really good with spiders thumping down from overheard in 'Chamber of secrets' or brooms whizzing overhead.

Blade Runner 2049 was great as well.

Basically you need to also heavily invest in UHD blu-rays to get the benefit.

Last edited:
Associate
5.2.4 here and I do like it - well worth having if you can get it. I've had a moan in other threads about content availability on regular Blu-rays, you'll be better catered for with a UHD setup.

I'd recommend tracking down the demo stuff which you can download and play, such as the Dolby Atmos Amaze trailer. You can also find music out there in Atmos if you'd like to try that - such as the Matt Darey music I also cover in another thread.

Associate
It sounds brilliant to the point where we are swapping back from streaming towards blurays. The biggest problem is lack of content and recently a lot of Atmos soundtracks are only being put on the 4k/HDR disks while the basic blurays get downgraded to DTS/Digital+.

It's only because I've been experimenting/testing out Dolby Atmos over the last few months that I've bought some blu rays recently since not buying any for the last 3 or 4 years.
The lack of content and the price of what content s out there is a bit off putting for me.

I only realised I had an A/V receiver capable of Atmos 7.2/5.2.2 around a year ago, set it up briefly and never got it working so left it.
Tried again properly around 6 months ago and once i got it working was a bit hooked on trying to find content, so bought some Q Acoustic speakers to make up the numbers.
Only tried a handfull of films so far and while some have good parts, the rest of the soundtrack throughout the film has either been a little underwhelming or the film itself has been a little lacking.
Toyed with the idea of a new receiver capable of 7.2.4 and a 4k player that also has Netflix and Prime (to output Dolby Atmos) but settled for just an Xbox 1 X and keep current VSX 930 for now as I don't think it's worth upgrading and chucking more money at it quite yet so will probably give it a year or two with 5.2.2 and go through a few 4K Blu Rays for a bit now I have the Xbox.

Maybe this thread can be used for usefull info to share what tv series/blu ray disc etc is worth giving a try as I'd appreciate other people's opinions on what they've watched/rated.

Soldato
It's only because I've been experimenting/testing out Dolby Atmos over the last few months that I've bought some blu rays recently since not buying any for the last 3 or 4 years.
The lack of content and the price of what content s out there is a bit off putting for me.

I only realised I had an A/V receiver capable of Atmos 7.2/5.2.2 around a year ago, set it up briefly and never got it working so left it.
Tried again properly around 6 months ago and once i got it working was a bit hooked on trying to find content, so bought some Q Acoustic speakers to make up the numbers.
Only tried a handfull of films so far and while some have good parts, the rest of the soundtrack throughout the film has either been a little underwhelming or the film itself has been a little lacking.
Toyed with the idea of a new receiver capable of 7.2.4 and a 4k player that also has Netflix and Prime (to output Dolby Atmos) but settled for just an Xbox 1 X and keep current VSX 930 for now as I don't think it's worth upgrading and chucking more money at it quite yet so will probably give it a year or two with 5.2.2 and go through a few 4K Blu Rays for a bit now I have the Xbox.

Maybe this thread can be used for usefull info to share what tv series/blu ray disc etc is worth giving a try as I'd appreciate other people's opinions on what they've watched/rated.

Lack of content :confused:

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/cinema/theatrical-releases.html

Think I have most of these :D

Running 5.1.2, just moved the mission dipoles I had for my sides up onto the ceiling.

Associate
Lack of content :confused:

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/cinema/theatrical-releases.html

Think I have most of these :D

Running 5.1.2, just moved the mission dipoles I had for my sides up onto the ceiling.

Typical, I felt like I spent days looking for a list lime that but never saw it, i suppose it also seems like theres not a lot out there when youve previously seen a film before but not in atmos so you skip past them.
still it's like you have to jump through hoops sometimes to see if you are actually buying a version with the atmos soundtrack. Can't always see the back cover online.
There should still be more content IMO as hasn't it been out for 4 years now?
Seems like when Blu ray technology was released and it took years to properly kick off.

Soldato
Typical, I felt like I spent days looking for a list lime that but never saw it, i suppose it also seems like theres not a lot out there when youve previously seen a film before but not in atmos so you skip past them.
still it's like you have to jump through hoops sometimes to see if you are actually buying a version with the atmos soundtrack. Can't always see the back cover online.
There should still be more content IMO as hasn't it been out for 4 years now?
Seems like when Blu ray technology was released and it took years to properly kick off.
Blu-ray.com is also a good source that tells you which tracks a film has but unfortunately you cannot filter just on audio type ☹️

edit: figured it out, you can.

Last edited:
Soldato
Budget 5.1.2 here with Onkyo upfirers built into L/R. Its a bit difficult for me to describe because I got them same time I upgraded/changed my speaker setup so the whole increase in sound quality has been a massive improvement so it is difficult to do a before Atmos and after Atmos comparison. The only thing I can say is when watching movies/programmes with Atmos you do kind of notice sometimes above you a sound coming at you. The most noticeable to me was with Spiderman Homecoming although I've just started watching Altered Carbon on Netlix and this is meant to have an Atmos soundtrack. The gunfight at the end of episode 1 in the AI hotel sounded superb.

Back
Top Bottom