1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Dismiss Notice

Don't Buy A Used Mining GPU

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Psycho Sonny, 19 Aug 2021.

1. Jerry64

Wise Guy

lol
    :D:D

2. mattyg

Sgarrista

How odd.

Must have been a server glitch as I took the screenshot.

[​IMG]

3. Psycho Sonny

Perma Banned

One GPU alone has went from 39 degrees to 56 degrees. I don't think it was a screenshot server glitch.

4. mattyg

Sgarrista

Different rig but nice try. ;)

5. eddiew

Wise Guy

Yeah, but I still don't want miners to think they have a business model where they can sit on a GPU for 2 years then pass it on for a decent price (potentially higher than they originally paid if it is indeed 2 years old at this point).

It's in my personal interests to encourage everyone to avoid buying from a miner, because then mining becomes less profitable - which leaves more cards for gamers :)

6. Yaayuh!

Capodecina

He's exactly as good as he used to be. By that I mean terrible.

7. d_brennen

Capodecina

Zip ties and 92/120mm fan/s job done, better than OEM ;)

8. AiiR

Mobster

I'd buy a mining card if it was cheap enough.

Thing is who advertises 2nd hand cards as ex mining cards? They will all have only spent their life playing Roblox on the weekend with hardly any load. :p

9. Alan McFall

Hitman

This makes sense, I've never mined but having learned a wee bit (as it actually affected my life) over the past year or so it does seem like serious miners take care of their hardware. It's rare to see someone on youtube suggesting to push a card flat out, it's usually an undervolt and bump on memory varying on which currency they are targeting.

It's logical that someone without experience who wants to make a quick few quid could see higher hashrates with a card flat out and think they have nailed it whilst unknowingly running it into the dirt.

10. Psycho Sonny

Perma Banned

Still temps surely that wouldn't be that different between them?

11. Psycho Sonny

Perma Banned

Exactly. Plenty on MM have sold mining cards one said he was apparently upgrading all 3 of his kids gaming pcs at the same time.

12. mattyg

Sgarrista

Temps do fluctuate. Sometimes seems to have a drop in airflow into the unit and it can go up. But its been 23deg in the garden today

[​IMG]Rig temps x2

13. Protoype

Gangster

Anthony is the best bit of LTT now days!! I love his focus on Linux and the discussions around it.

14. Freddie1980

Sgarrista

That's nonsense. Your not going to 'melt the chips' by running it at a high load all the time. What's more likely to cause damage over the term is constant cycling between load and idle states which causes the solder joints to expand and shrink as the card heats up and cools down which is what a graphics card typically goes through when used for gaming. The worst damage a mining card suffers from is normally from worn out ball bearings in the fan.

15. whitecrook

Sgarrista

the now quite obnoxious 'LTTSTORE.COM' ads in teh middle of his vidoes have finally done it for me. Also, when they talk about their other 'upcoming videos' that you're gonna 'have to watch to find out X' . The whole of youtube is like this. Back away from it. it's not healthy

16. AiiR

Mobster

Delete - forum messed up

Last edited: 20 Aug 2021
  17. CAT-THE-FIFTH

Capodecina

This is the problem as its become a get rich quick gold rush,so unless you know how its been mined on,then there is a risk IMHO. Its why if you are getting a GPU secondhand,it makes sense if there is some sort of warranty. My mates ex-ming RX580 went kaput within a year,and last December they had to buy an ovepriced secondhand GPU,which was a bit slower than the RX580.

18. mattyg

Sgarrista

You know non mining cards ALSO go faulty.

Since 2017 I've not had one card fail in a mining rig....

19. Shonk

Gangster

My R9 290 Tri-x OC that i picked up on the auction site x mining in 2014
    Still going strong Bios modded 1100 Core (From 1000) 5600 Ram (From 5200)

My son got a RX 480 Nitro+ From the forrest site new in 2016 when they launched
    THE RX 480 Nitro+ is Dead

20. ElijahMoreira

Associate

who says there will be a mining collapse??? I guess after Ethereum 2.0