DON'T BUY MSI THEY MIS-SOLD TOP SPEC GT SERIES LAPTOPS with MXM Graphics

Associate
I emailed a few people at MSI today to see what their response was to someone offering an MXM upgrade for a model they said it wasn't possible.

No comments so far, but I'll let you know if I get a reply.

Interesting though with a 30 quid heatsink adaptation you can plug and play it seems?

Associate
nmhoif.png

611 - 250approx = £361

@natarie @Loki

is this a price comparable to an MXM ugprade for a GT72 980m to a 1070gtx?

we showed completed sales on ebay of between £250-350 for a 980m at the time we should have been able to upgrade.

I had a GT72 dominator, I was advised by MSI I couldn't upgrade, yet there is a reputable company selling mxm upgrades for this very model.

Associate
also just found this XxThSGT.png

yet i had a GT72 2QE not sure if 682 model, but i also got a GT73VR 7RF 286 - yet i had to pay over £500? why is this??!?!?! if it wasn't for profit? or to avoid loss making overall?

Associate
also just found this

yet i had a GT72 2QE not sure if 682 model, but i also got a GT73VR 7RF 286 - yet i had to pay over £500? why is this??!?!?! if it wasn't for profit? or to avoid loss making overall?
Yes, @MiSJAH 's trade in cost was what i was using as leverage against my trade in. It didn't help though and was just fobbed off. I never really got an appropriate answer as to why people are getting better offers than others, other than it is a case by case thing. Even Ted at HID could not believe the above offer was legit. I've received my label to send my laptop off, so i am DBAN'ing it today and will probably get it shipped tomorrow. I'm still in 2 minds to keep it or sell it tbh.

It's not good enough, but really other than ranting about it on forums, i can't see what else we can do. Even the legal side is still ongoing in the US, and i think it has been for the last 9 months or more!

Associate
It's not good enough, but really other than ranting about it on forums, i can't see what else we can do. Even the legal side is still ongoing in the US, and i think it has been for the last 9 months or more!

If you really want to stick it to them, perhaps emailing some of the hardware review sites to see if they're interested in your story?

Associate
OP
If you really want to stick it to them, perhaps emailing some of the hardware review sites to see if they're interested in your story?

I tried this when this all kicked off.

Most of the tech sites get MSI gear to review which brings them hit and in turn revenue. They are too scared MSI will stop providing gear to review (I was told this off the record my an owner of one of the largest tech sites in the UK).

Keeping this thread alive as the OcUK forums is a very popular forum in the UK and the NBR forum is internationally at least gets the word out.

There is always MSI Gaming (nee MSI UK Notebook) social media. If you courteously post on these platforms about the issue it gets the word out to potential customers.

MSI UK Notebook blocked me and deleted my posts claiming I was being offensive?!?

Associate
OP
Yes, @MiSJAH 's trade in cost was what i was using as leverage against my trade in.

And the kicker, my notebook was a 'B' grade from OcUK clearance section, everyone else involved bought at full price, I paid £1,100.

I'm still in 2 minds to keep it or sell it tbh.

Sell it and jump ship. I have nothing but good things to say about my AORUS. And the AORUS rep @Atom80 is often on the forums here (he may not know everything but will try and get info from head office).

Ohh and if anyone would like the following to try and improve your offers:

s91uNyq.png

I still have the email with offer attached if required.

Last edited:
Associate
Still yet to receive a price list from MSI, not sure whether I should go file complaints or just sell the bloody things. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

File a complaint, try to go to court etc

chargeback the store that sold you it?

keep spamming MSI until you get what you paid for and was advertised imo.

3 days and counting, still waiting for reply from Carolyn, Neil, Natalie & Chris on the subject of MSI upgrades MXM being available by 3rd party but not MSI... also I queried why myself and MISJAH got same laptops original and received both a GT73VR 7RF, yet his deal was £200 cheaper almost??

Seems MASSIVELY unfair to me and like I've been short changed! Also why the hell is someone selling MXM upgrades for these model of laptops when MSI said it wasn't possible???!?!

Associate
OP
File a complaint, try to go to court etc

chargeback the store that sold you it?

keep spamming MSI until you get what you paid for and was advertised imo.

3 days and counting, still waiting for reply from Carolyn, Neil, Natalie & Chris on the subject of MSI upgrades MXM being available by 3rd party but not MSI... also I queried why myself and MISJAH got same laptops original and received both a GT73VR 7RF, yet his deal was £200 cheaper almost??

Seems MASSIVELY unfair to me and like I've been short changed! Also why the hell is someone selling MXM upgrades for these model of laptops when MSI said it wasn't possible???!?!

I agree completely.

Associate
Does anyone have a number as to how many trade ins there have been roughly. I have a reference number which is very low, which i thought was interesting, especially as it is part of the US trade in scheme. Like literally it is lower than 150!

Associate
Does anyone have a number as to how many trade ins there have been roughly. I have a reference number which is very low, which i thought was interesting, especially as it is part of the US trade in scheme. Like literally it is lower than 150!

Neil @ msi did quote me a ridiculous number, but was contradicted by other employees, so I think they are trying to hide the numbers publicly.

However I do beleive the number of trade ins are very low due to several factors;

A; Its a god damn rip off, people refuse to give MSI more of their hard earned cash after getting ripped off with no upgrade.
B; MSI didn't really do much in terms of letting its customers know, small crappy thing hidden away on their website will all advertising of mxm upgrades removed ASAP. Also they advised people the trade in program had an end date and was closed, however this IS NOT THE CASE.
C; I know people that just sold their laptop and will never purchase an MSI branded anything ever again.
D; People buying it no knowing their rights, I'm sure many emailed MSI and were told "it's not possible" and left it at that and haven't seen the "trade in"

Associate
@tropicola Be careful about posting details on competitors.

details are relevant to thread, if its not allowed remove it.

However not sure overclockers offer MXM upgrades? So how is that competing?

If I get banned for that then lol, people share links all time through pms etc this is just a link to an example that WE CAN UPGRADE (which overclockers do not offer) - its not a "hey buy it from here its cheaper than overclockers"

plus its a USA website, doubt many over here in Uk would purchase there anyway......

Back
Top Bottom