DON'T BUY MSI THEY MIS-SOLD TOP SPEC GT SERIES LAPTOPS with MXM Graphics

Associate
And the kicker, my notebook was a 'B' grade from OcUK clearance section, everyone else involved bought at full price, I paid £1,100.

Sell it and jump ship. I have nothing but good things to say about my AORUS. And the AORUS rep @Atom80 is often on the forums here (he may not know everything but will try and get info from head office).
I would love to go the Aorus route, however the cheapest 17" 1080 spec is going to set me back £3300!! I will be lucky to get £1500 for my new trade in laptop. Unfortunately i don't have money to burn. I might even sell it and not even bother with a gaming machine. This was my first real punt into the world of PC gaming in about 15 years, and yeah, i got burnt. If i had the room for a desktop, i would seriously consider it, but as i don't i had to go the way i did. Looks like i might get an Xbox One X and an OLED 4K tv instead :(

Associate
OP
I would love to go the Aorus route, however the cheapest 17" 1080 spec is going to set me back £3300!! I will be lucky to get £1500 for my new trade in laptop. Unfortunately i don't have money to burn. I might even sell it and not even bother with a gaming machine. This was my first real punt into the world of PC gaming in about 15 years, and yeah, i got burnt. If i had the room for a desktop, i would seriously consider it, but as i don't i had to go the way i did. Looks like i might get an Xbox One X and an OLED 4K tv instead :(

I know how you feel.

The AORUS X5V6 is just under £2K at the moment, hugely capable machine. Would recommend.

Associate
Laptop has been stuck at Heathrow since before the weekend, something to do with having a Li-ion battery inside! Ffs, i would have thought it was bloody obvious what is inside, as the box is the original it was sent to me, complete with specs and warnings on the stickers etc. I have now had to fill in another form and email it back to them. Does nothing ever go straight forward these days!?

Associate
Laptop has been stuck at Heathrow since before the weekend, something to do with having a Li-ion battery inside! Ffs, i would have thought it was bloody obvious what is inside, as the box is the original it was sent to me, complete with specs and warnings on the stickers etc. I have now had to fill in another form and email it back to them. Does nothing ever go straight forward these days!?

Haha, the woes of trusting a company that is happy to take thousands of pounds yet unwilling to provide straightforward solutions :o
I've emailed the ombudsman service and i'm hoping for some sort of decent ending to all of this bother. :rolleyes:

Associate
Its a shame MSI did what they did, I am the person that made the video on youtube about the Upgrade to a GTX 1060 MXM, i have since had this modifcation now for a while and can safely say it works well.

So MSI quoted that it was due to power, so lets look at this, PSU supplied is 230w which even with the GTX 970m or the GTX 1060 didn't draw more then 160w from the wall at full load.
Currently my GTX 1060 has a vBios that was given to me which allows the GPU to take as much power as it needs to stay stable which so far is 113w but i have seen a draw from the wall again at full load of 180w.

Temps my old GTX 970m would hit 75-84c on auto fan and with the GTX 1060 and the new vbios it hits 75-85c with my custom fan curve i can keep this below 80c without issues.

Issues of compatibility with the System bios where it requires the system to boot in UEFI mode and not UEFI-CSM/Legacy resulting in a black screen can be fixed with a system firmware update. Possibly adding one extra fan curve step on auto to keep the temps from hitting past 80c would be nice.

G-Sync will not work unless they update the G-Sync cookie in the System firmware image as the hash chain is broken (My GTX 1060 is 1C60 thus G-Sync model).

Also the requirement thus far to use Modded drivers could be fixed in the system bios too by doing what MSI does with other cards which is on the fly possibly via the DMI to change 10DE.1C60.1462.11FF to 10DE.1C60.1462.11AF or the same with the GTX 1070.

On another note MSI could follow what Eurocom has done as they are actively testing and retro fitting Pascal cards to their old systems using a MXM 3.0B form factor GTX 1060 / GTX 1070.

As for the Heatsink well both the GT72-2Q and GT72-6Q series laptops could have used the GT72VR heatsinks for the GPU's with the GT72-2Q version having the GPU to CPU bridge changed slightly to over come the issue with the mounting of the GPU to CPU bridge to the CPU heatsink.

When volta comes out and if it comes out in MXM format i will even test this.

But as far as MSI and me go after this i have decided to go to Eurocom for my next system.

Associate
What seems strange to me is that MSI have seemingly read this thread and have decided to go radio silent on me, without even sending a price list over.
I'd be inclined to pay £200-500 for an exchange (misjah got a 1080 version for £365(!!!), which they don't seem to want to offer to anyone else, making the whole bloody thing unfair).

Some clearer, more consistent deals and less "shady" contact would be nice, considering i'm basically forced to take other routes due to the non-responsiveness.

Associate
OP
There appears to be 2 people (I'm 1) that got a reasonable deal. The other guy upgraded to the GT73VR 7RF for £290.

There is no consistency or transparency. MSI Corp have, and continue to abuse their customers.

Associate
There appears to be 2 people (I'm 1) that got a reasonable deal. The other guy upgraded to the GT73VR 7RF for £290.

There is no consistency or transparency. MSI Corp have, and continue to abuse their customers.

aye its dumb I paid 500 or so for the same "deal"

Hope your still enjoying your Aorus @MiSJAH kinda wish I just sold the GT73 immediately when I got it as boxed/new... having to stare at it every time I play a game is annoying as hell....

Did the other guy that said he was going to small claims ever take it? Or did you receive an out of court deal to avoid that in the end? which assuming we won't hear about as those agreements tend to be confidential but as I haven't seen you post here I'll assume you either backed out of the case or got a deal you were happy with?

also I read this on NBR

"After talking to Ming they come to a conclusion to open up the GT75VR line with conditions.

Condition for trading in for GT75VR

-Customer will have to forfeit 2nd Generation GPU Trade In. Customer will no longer qualify for our GTX 11xx GPU Trade in Program.

-GT75VR Laptop only comes with standard 1 year Limited warranty (Include 1 Year Global)."

So does this mean we get another trade in for 11x series? because they can f-right off, not getting a penny more.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom