• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

DOo you think GPU's are going be like CPU's now (performance increases)

Soldato
Guys do think GPU's are going to be like what Intel CPU's have been for a very long where it goes year after year and new model after new model with hardly any performance increases ?

DOo in Title :o

Soldato
I though the only real big bump in gfx was the 1070 generation.. With no competition there will be no big bumps in speed .. Well assuming you look at the same price points

Associate
RTX, as botched as it is right now, is a huge step forward.

In my opinion, the right step forward. We can push most games at 1440p/165Hz and 4k/60Hz. Yeah, more power is always good, but what for? 1080Ti and above can run anything already, so I'm happy we went in a new direction.

Soldato
Kind of already are lol

Now they are using gimmicks to try and get people to buy instead.

Ray tracing isn't a gimmick, it IS the future, but the operative word there being 'future'. It's not ready yet and the 20xx cards aren't going to be delivering fully fledged ray traced experiences at acceptable frame rates.

Soldato
Ray tracing isn't a gimmick, it IS the future, but the operative word there being 'future'.
I think it very well may be the future.

Be interesting to see what AMD's new architecture brings to the party and whether they'll give us Radeon Rays.

So no OP I don't think it'll be like the CPU market, it may just not be so as easily quantifiable.

Soldato
Ray tracing isn't a gimmick, it IS the future, but the operative word there being 'future'. It's not ready yet and the 20xx cards aren't going to be delivering fully fledged ray traced experiences at acceptable frame rates.

VR is the future before ray tracing tbh. It will be a long time before we can have both.

Soldato
So was PhysX and SLI and Hairwork etc. Look what happened to them...

I cannot help but feel the current Ray-tracing it's like the "90s VR". It has the idea and concept, but lack the beefy enough hardware for meaningful real-world usage. Will probably be a decade to go until mainstream graphic cards can comfortable deliver the goods more efficiently without crazy performance hit and/or compromising on resolution.

Soldato
So was PhysX and SLI and Hairwork etc. Look what happened to them...

I cannot help but feel the current Ray-tracing it's like the "90s VR". It has the idea and concept, but lack the beefy enough hardware for meaningful real-world usage. Will probably be a decade to go until mainstream graphic cards can comfortable deliver the goods more efficiently without crazy performance hit and/or compromising on resolution.

PhysX, SLI etc. aren't the same thing. These are separate technologies. We're talking about traditional rasterisation vs ray tracing, which offers superior visuals, lighting, realism etc. It is just better. There is no doubt it is the future of gaming. But it's a long way off, and RTX isn't going to provide it in this genreation or the next. We need to reach a point where the performance gain with rasterisation is forgotten when compared to the elegance of ray tracing, and when ray tracing a scene doesn't criple your system such that it barely manages 60FPS at 1080p. Keep in mind though that 10 years ago even doing that would have seemed like a dream. So it may indeed be another decade before ray tracing becomes the accepted norm, just as rasterisation is today.

Soldato
If you think about it from the perspective of why it would be in Nvidia and AMD’s interest to delay 4K becoming standard, GPU development has a long way to go yet.

Nvidia are in it to maximise profits as they dominate the market - they have little duty to make ethical choices in terms of business practice and hardware development. It’s as simple as that.

Last edited:
Soldato
Guys do think GPU's are going to be like what Intel CPU's have been for a very long where it goes year after year and new model after new model with hardly any performance increases ?

I don't know what reviews you have been looking at - but the 2080ti is significantly more powerful than the 1080ti - albeit on a massive die size and transistor count. They also have a brand new core structure.

I am pretty sure they are also significantly advanced down their next architecture or they wouldn't have released the 2080 and 2080ti at the same time.

AMD have been slow for the last 18 months and it looks like they could be launching a third chip on polaris with only iterative improvement but they will be launching their first 7nm chip in the next couple of months for pro use and a new arch on 7nm next year for consumer.

We have sat on the current performance levels for 18 months, but I don't see it being stagnant for the next 18 months.

Caporegime
No this RTX stuff is the start of another set of massive improvements in IQ

This, conventional rasterization has slowdown, noit due to a decrease in GPU performance gains but the complexity of all the hacks and the massive artistic work required to make the hacks seem more realistic. Moving towards ray tracing will increase IQ massively, reduce development costs and open a new battleground for performance increases.

Caporegime
If you think about it from the perspective of why it would be in Nvidia and AMD’s interest to delay 4K becoming standard, GPU development has a long way to go yet.

Nvidia are in it to maximise profits as they dominate the market - they have little duty to make ethical choices in terms of business practice and hardware development. It’s as simple as that.

AMD are also in it to maximize profits - they have little duty to make ethical choices in terms of business practice and hardware development. It’s as simple as that.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour

Yes and no.
CPU progress has been driven in a similar way to GPU progress, i.e. based upon competition.
If you have an absolute monopoly on an area of a market, there's no need to innovate or be price competitive. Until Ryzen arrived, that was pretty much the state of the CPU market, and even with Ryzen, it's taken time for software developers to make us of multiple CPU cores.

In the GPU market, AMD have seemingly pulled the plug on at least a temporary basis in their ability to compete with the leading edge Nvidia cards.
Being fair, it's not that we can really blame Nvidia, after all, they're a business and out to make money, it's just the way things are. Additionally, without Nvidia pushing things forward, we'd still be using Voodoo cards.

I think that some people just need to be realistic about the current state of play.
We're grown used to an increase in performance every 2 years, whilst still paying basically the same price. THAT is purely down to competition.
We now don't have that competition, so whilst the performance has increased, there's no reason for Nvidia to introduce the new units to replace the existing ones, they have just tacked them on top and will charge us more.

Sure, you might not like it, but not liking it is NOT going to change things.

Soldato

As long as consumers buy over priced products like the RTX cards, and CoffeeLakes (especially the upcoming refresh) and do not use common sense, that will be he case.

Soldato
AMD are also in it to maximize profits - they have little duty to make ethical choices in terms of business practice and hardware development. It’s as simple as that.

Lol they are but Nvidia and AMD can't be compared like for like. AMD don't have the fortune of the owning the current desktop GPU market.

Soldato
Kinda. You'll only need at most 2 GPU upgrades per console generation to stay comfortably ahead of it, usually if you go mid-range. Maybe only 1 for high end. e.g. 290x released about the same time as PS4 but can still keep up with the PS4 pro today. That's a long time for a GPU to stay relevant. Makes you think the extended warranty from evga might be worth buying (ofc nvidia cards don't stay as relevant tho).

Soldato

For basic performance maybe... But I think (hope) the new stuff like raytracing will improve much faster....

Back
Top Bottom