Doom - PS4 / Xbox One

Soldato
Nobody is hoping a game will be like Doom3 lol

I'm like the poster above...i gave it a couple of hours and im finding myself doing the same thing over snd over. Doom 3 was a slower pace but also had a sense of horror about it. It wasn't ground breaking on a gameplay scale but was occasionally tense, this is, imo, a fast paced mess. I might give it another go when i have more time but for now its getting sold.

Soldato
Picked it up for the PS4 on Friday and thoroughly enjoyed playing it so far. Only on the 2nd full mission on the campaign, but it's great mindless fun. Nice to feel a sense of power smashing through the demons and stuff.

I'm not much of an FPS fan - haven't played one since BLOPS2 really and I don't think Splatoon (which is awesome) counts. This is just great fun. I get absolutely hammered on most games online at the minute though. Finished 3rd once and 2nd once, that's about the best I can manage. I'm like a headless chicken, no enemies in sight, then get blasted by a shotgun and I'm dead before I can even turn around!

Soldato
Zavvi had this up for £34.99 so i ordered and hopefully it will be here tomorrow, Watched a few videos and it looks intense, and the music that goes with it is soooo good.

Associate
Got my copy on the xbone today but alas my xbone decided that it won't read any discs! finally got it sorted and now waiting for the ever so long install and update process to complete. Luckily I don't start my next contract for a couple of weeks so I'll have time to get into this before then :)

Soldato
It's brilliant. I got it on the PC but would still recommend it for console. The speed and fluidity of movement is like going back to a better time when fps weren't ****e!

Last edited:
Soldato
It's brilliant. I got it on the PC but would still recommend it for console. The speed and fluidity of movement is like going back to a better time when fps weren't ****e!

Yes yes yes. Running round like a lunatic, quick into the action. Love it. I felt like I was back on UT or Quake 2/3.

Soldato
Just started playing this and spent an hour getting my ass handed to me.

Lol.

Dem imps!! :eek:

Playing on ultra violence is pretty cool. It don't take a lot to kill you. I have turned all the objective stuff off as well to make it more authentic. Loving the nod to the original Doom 1st level music as you complete the prologue.

Graphics feel a bit poor compared to the screenies I have seen of the PC version but it feels fluid enough.

Need to put some more time into it but already it feels a little repetitive. Walk into an area - wait for spawns - kill the bad guys - reach checkpoint. Repeat.

It reminds me very much of Painkiller in that regard. That's not to say it's a bad thing as such, but it isn't going to win any awards for story! :D

Soldato
Went halves on a digital copy with a mate on Xbox one over the weekend. Finally go round to playing this last night and I'm very impressed. Love the fluidity of the game and it doesn't get old. Even had a go on the MP which didn't impress me in the beta but found myself hooked. Makes a refreshing change to have something a bit old school that's just pure fun!

Soldato
Played a bit more tonight. I'm finding it tough going - lots of deaths!! Lol. Just relentless amounts of baddies to try and kill and my guy does not take much damage before he is done for. Killed myself a few times too. Oops, damn you explosive barrels and accidentally throwing my grenade so it lands at my feet! :p

To be fair, I think one of the reasons I'm finding it challenging is I'm still not much use on a pad for FPS games. But I have to say I'm enjoying myself and the game is more atmospheric than unthought it would be.

Big downside for me though is the texture popping. Really noticable when you stop running to admire the scenery. Indeed the entire game seems pretty low res in terms of textures but I can live with that for a better FPS. Never once felt laggy even with tons going on at once.

Loving the secret areas too. Some have been tricky to get to or find though. Playing with zero help from tutorials and objective markers makes it a more authentic doom experience even if it does mean I waste half an hour trying to find out where to go before I find the button I need in a room I have been in 4 times already! :D

Just out of interest, what FOV are you all using?

smr

smr

Soldato
Played a bit more tonight. I'm finding it tough going - lots of deaths!! Lol. Just relentless amounts of baddies to try and kill and my guy does not take much damage before he is done for. Killed myself a few times too. Oops, damn you explosive barrels and accidentally throwing my grenade so it lands at my feet! :p

To be fair, I think one of the reasons I'm finding it challenging is I'm still not much use on a pad for FPS games. But I have to say I'm enjoying myself and the game is more atmospheric than unthought it would be.

Big downside for me though is the texture popping. Really noticable when you stop running to admire the scenery. Indeed the entire game seems pretty low res in terms of textures but I can live with that for a better FPS. Never once felt laggy even with tons going on at once.

Loving the secret areas too. Some have been tricky to get to or find though. Playing with zero help from tutorials and objective markers makes it a more authentic doom experience even if it does mean I waste half an hour trying to find out where to go before I find the button I need in a room I have been in 4 times already! :D

Just out of interest, what FOV are you all using?

which format you playing it on ?

Soldato
Just wondered,first person i've heard say anything about gfx problems.

Do you not get texture popping on yours? It has been pretty noticable in places on my copy. Not sure if it's a hard drive issue or anything though but it is like the texture loading system can't keep up with demand and parts of scenery start off blurry then 'pop up' in full resolution after you have been looking at them for a second. Used to get the same thing on Rage for the PC which used a similar engine so it could just be a feature of he engine? I was also playing on an increased gamma to combat the sun shining on the screen - not sure if that would make a difference.

Back
Top Bottom