Door to door season started?

Soldato
Is there an official start to door to door calling season?

I've not had any door to door callers since last year, now in the last 2 days I've had 5 callers, 3 charities and 2 salesmen.

Anyone else noticed this sudden increase?

Permabanned
I had someone from Oxfam come round a month or so ago. That's it though in the 2 1/2 years I've lived in this house.

If you want rid of the chairty muggers quickly then all you have to do is tell them you don't have a bank account with a direct debit facility. :D

Associate
Have this on my door for the last 2 years. Haven't had a single unwanted knock

34q1ppg.jpg

Soldato
If you want rid of the chairty muggers quickly then all you have to do is tell them you don't have a bank account with a direct debit facility. :D

Or instead of lying like a child you could just say "No" and close the door. It's not difficult.

Not only will you save time but the person at the door can get on with their job and talk to more people.

Oh and a fun fact, those signs mean very little if you don't have the balls to just say no and close the door, as a fund raiser in one area I got 3 sign ups in 2 days from people with a "NO COLD CALLERS" sign.

OP: There is so "season", however charities move around areas regularly so it's possible your area has just been left alone for a while.

Last edited:
Soldato
Oh and a fun fact, those signs mean very little if you don't have the balls to just say no and close the door, as a fund raiser in one area I got 3 sign ups in 2 days from people with a "NO COLD CALLERS" sign.
What made you knock, despite reading the signs? Do they have a higher sign up ratio than the doors that don't have the signs? :D

Soldato
What made you knock, despite reading the signs? Do they have a higher sign up ratio than the doors that don't have the signs? :D

No, you just learn pretty quick that they are for the most part meaningless because people put them up thinking they are some sort of magic shield. When this doesn't work they don't really know what to do.

It's mostly hit and miss, you will occasionally get the "DIDN'T YOU READ THE SIGN GET AWAY FROM MY DOOR!" style angry people but you get them sign or no anyway. Also a fair amount of (my favourite) the ones who open the door, tap the sign and then close it again.

The whole point of door to door fund-raising is talking to as many people as physically possible in the time you are out.

Last edited:
Soldato
Or instead of lying like a child you could just say "No" and close the door. It's not difficult.

Not only will you save time but the person at the door can get on with their job and talk to more people.

OP: There is so "season", however charities move around areas regularly so it's possible your area has just been left alone for a while.

You obviously don't have two young kids then ;) Or a doorbell - or door that wakes the whole house up when banged on.

Because the last guy that rang my doorbell trying to sell me Sky ( even though I had already spoken to him 6 years in a row ) whilst I was trying to feed my 10 month old - and stop my other kid from running towards the front door - got an absolute earfull - and I actually think he could see why.

Not everything is black and white - and if I wanted stuff, whether it is Sky, Salvation Army contributions, oven cleaner, perfumes, phone contracts or any other rubbish - I will research it in my own free time - and not the time that suits a seller. So YES - they can damn well naff off....

90% of people know what is available to them these days - they don't need someone knocking on their door trying to use trained techniques to sell a product. I actually had a guy from a well-known Broadband provider try and give me some small talk about how good/nice my car was......It wasn't until I asked him what he actually knew about the car in question ( and not what he had been told to say in his training class - that it all went pear-shaped for him ) What was funny was - there were actually two of them knocking - one with a clipboard, the other for backup. It was like a scripted double act....

Last edited:
Soldato
Because the last guy that rang my doorbell whilst I was trying to feed my 10 month old - and stop my other kid from running otwards the front door - got an absolute earfull.

So instead of just saying you were busy and closing the door you decided to stop and give him "an earful"?

Sounds a bit country productive.

Let me clarify, I dislike cold callers, fund raisers and salesmen knocking at my door, I hate BEING a fund-raiser and a salesman (sold sky for a while), however it does give an interesting view into how people react.

Not everything is black and white - and if I wanted stuff, whether it is Sky, Salvation Army contributions, oven cleaner, perfumes, phone contracts or any other rubbish - I will research it in my own free time - and not the time that suits a seller. So YES - they can damn well naff off....

Well until everyone realises that to stop it happening all they have to do is stop signing up or buying a product they will keep doing it as it is immensely good value as a marketing strategy.

Last edited:
Wise Guy
Soldato
Is there an official start to door to door calling season?

I've not had any door to door callers since last year, now in the last 2 days I've had 5 callers, 3 charities and 2 salesmen.

Anyone else noticed this sudden increase?

no

spilc.jpg

Soldato

I find it funny how people think dogs are automatically guard dogs just because they are a vaguely menacing breed.

Also can your dog tell the difference between a fund raiser and say, a courier?* I mean I love dogs, was never bothered by the fact a dog barked at me in the front garden for instance or at the door, if I get mauled for knockings at your door the court is hardly going to blame me now are they.

* In before "Yes, by taste".

Associate
When sales people ask if you're the house owner jut reply, no it's rented even if you are the house owner, they do an instant 360 and scuttle away.

Caporegime
I feel sorry for these guys. I mean, that's their job. Imagine that was your job and you went home each night knowing that everyone thought you were a total and utter waste of space with no redeeming qualities or abilities whatsoever. What's that kind of thing going to do to your self esteem, Fenris?

Associate
Whilst renting currently I prefer massively wasting their time when I have the opportunity. That will cause a reduction in further cold callers.

Soldato
[FnG]magnolia;21475462 said:
What's that kind of thing going to do to your self esteem, Fenris?

Uh, nothing, if you can't hack it you don't do it.

If anything it massively builds confidence. I found working in a call centre more detrimental to my state of mind.

On the whole people are as polite as the person they open the door to. Really angry/aggressive/rude people are a vast minority.

The only thing that really gets people down is just not getting sales because they aren't earning any money.

Last edited:
Soldato
bear in mind some people who knock on doors are market researchers, therefore for the most part are doing a useful job. As your opinion is important. You/us moan about enough things and a lot of times market research is your chance to get your view across.

I do not entertain people trying to sell me things at the door, but i am polite to them. But I believe market research is very important in a lot of things, so have done a couple of those before. Found them quite interesting.

Back
Top Bottom