Double yellow lines question

Soldato
I parked on a pavement at the side of my warehouse (pavement parking isn't an issue here yet).

I thought I was safe because I wasn't on yellow lines (they are painted on the road - I was parked fully on the pavement - off road) but I have been given a parking ticket for parking on double yellows.

I know it was stupid but was running really late and didn't have time to get to a car park.

I always thought you had to be literally on the double yellows to be ticketed tho? Am I mistaken?

[url=https://ibb.co/m9VKLtN][/URL]

Last edited:
Man of Honour
In some areas is it illegal to park on the pavement at all. In other areas it is allowed. But even in those areas the yellow lines apply to the pavement next to the road as well. So I'm afraid either way the ticket is valid.

Man of Honour
Mistaken - depending on area double-yellow lines extend all the way to the boundary. Caught Chris Harris out awhile ago.

Associate
Where I am they have yellow lines perpendicular to the road on the pavement to indicate pavement parking is prohibited.

In any case; I'd never park on the pavement anyhow (blocking access).

Soldato
Appeal it either way based on not realising you couldn't. Worst case it'll delay the inevitable, best they'll let you off one time. I got let off in Sheffield for parking the wrong side of a no parking sign (literally next to it) and said it was a mistake sorry I won't do it again. They let me off.

Soldato
I had no idea you could just drive right up onto the pavement and park at all! Road = cars and pavement = pedestrians, I thought. Unless there's half-on-pavement parking indicated by markings or blue signs.

Is this a thing? Just driving onto pavements?

Soldato
Mistaken and also pretty inconsiderate - looks like you haven't left any space for a wheelchair or pushchair to get past either

This. Whist there's no law that says you're not allowed to park on the pavement (outside of London) you've still got to provide access to pedestrians to get by. In OPs case he clearly hasn't done that, the police would likely have arranged a tow if they came across it.

Soldato
OP
Very true actually - I have to confess however, its a dead end road with only two properties in it - mine and a nightclub. Guarantee there hasn't been a single person walk on that path for months / years, let alone a wheelchair user as there is nowhere to go - it just leads to rear entrances to shop loading bays for lorries to deliver their wares. No member of the public goes there ever.

I actually think its a mistake that there are yellow lines there at all. Simply no need

Mistaken and also pretty inconsiderate - looks like you haven't left any space for a wheelchair or pushchair to get past either

Soldato
OP
I was ASKING if I had a case, from the forum peeps, who might know more than me. I am sensible and learned in many things but don't have knowledge of all things unfortunately, which is where this wonderful forums often helps. Where my knowledge is lacking, I ask for advice.

I can't believe you even think you have a case

Soldato
Just apply a bit of common sense ffs. If that really was a get-out clause, every bugger would be doing it.

By way of revenge: If they're parking their van on the double yellows, I'd be taking photos and posting up on twitter to ask "why are you parking illegally". They're not exempt from the same rules.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom