Doubling up speaker cable, improvement I've noticed

Soldato
Magic speaker cable? :cry: This OFC copper cable came from Maplins!

I've changed the effective gauge from 17 AWG to 14 AWG, you do understand this is the same as a single 14 AWG run? If you understand that thicker OFC copper cable is better, then how could you possibly disagree with what I've done.

My main HiFi uses 4mm DCSK speaker cable BTW.
Because of the claims you've made about how it changes the sound. You're using audiophoolery buzzwords that have little to no actual meaning.

Soldato
OP
I credit the success of the speaker wire industry to their expert sales and marketing ability. However, it is my experience that ordinary copper wire, as long as it's heavy enough, is just as good as name brands.

Yes exactly this is 100% correct, and it's what I did.

Also if you read the roger-Russell link he talks about how speaker ohm's effects resistance - as I've already mentioned in this thread, I'm running 6ohm speakers on a 8ohm amp, so my speakers require more current to drive, and he talks about requiring lower resistance cable when driving lower ohm speakers.

Soldato
OP
Because of the claims you've made about how it changes the sound. You're using audiophoolery buzzwords that have little to no actual meaning.

I said it softened the treble, provided better midrange and bottom end. This is exactly what you would expect from lower resistance speaker cable.

Soldato
I said it softened the treble, provided better midrange and bottom end. This is exactly what you would expect from lower resistance speaker cable.

I'd like to hear an explanation of how more sufficient conductor effects the physical performance of a speaker. Please enlighten me.

Soldato
OP
I'd like to hear an explanation of how more sufficient conductor effects the physical performance of a speaker. Please enlighten me.

Go and read the link on post 159 that someone else posted, look in the section on ohm and speaker resistance.

If you don't understand that speaker cable has resistance, and the amount of resistance effects how the speaker is driven, that in turn effects sound, then your lost :rolleyes:

Soldato
Go and read the link on post 159 that someone else posted, look in the section on ohm and speaker resistance.

If you don't understand that speaker cable has resistance, and the amount of resistance effects how the speaker is driven, that in turn effects sound, then your lost :rolleyes:

Hmmm... speakers require sufficient current. That's how amplifiers drive them. Resistance is futile.

Soldato
OP
Hmmm... speakers require sufficient current. That's how amplifiers drive them. Resistance is futile.

That current can sometimes be impeded by speaker cable that's to thin.

Go back to my opening post. I was originally running 17AWG cable (1.15mm), driving a 40W 6ohm RMS speaker with a 8ohm amp. That's quite a thin cable for this setup, it's perfectly acceptable to expect a benefit from moving to the equivalent of a 14AWG cable.

To understand the amount of power draw a speaker can take. Run the stereo in your car with the engine off, but headlights on at night reflected on say a garage door. If you run the stereo loud enough you will probably see your headlights dip in timing with your music from car stereo.

Soldato
OP
Don't forget to get a bunch of people around to do blind testing.

I was thinking about this, I think we should take inspiration from Monty Pythons Ministry of Silly Walks. Instead we could have the Ministry of HiFi testing.

How it would work, you would set your HiFi gear up, however before you can have you own view on it, you have to contact the government who send someone around to listen, only if they agree with what you say do your thoughts count.

Soldato
Go back to my opening post. I was originally running 17AWG cable (1.15mm), driving a 40W 6ohm RMS speaker with a 8ohm amp. That's quite a thin cable for this setup

No, it isn't. That's the problem and that's what i was talking about - the theory is sound but practically no, you're wrong. You're looking at less than half a db loss using a 17AWG cable on that setup. and that's at 20 feet. Those original cables would have be made of cheese for there to be any practical difference.

Soldato
That current can sometimes be impeded by speaker cable that's to thin.

Go back to my opening post. I was originally running 17AWG cable (1.15mm), driving a 40W 6ohm RMS speaker with a 8ohm amp. That's quite a thin cable for this setup, it's perfectly acceptable to expect a benefit from moving to the equivalent of a 14AWG cable.

To understand the amount of power draw a speaker can take. Run the stereo in your car with the engine off, but headlights on at night reflected on say a garage door. If you run the stereo loud enough you will probably see your headlights dip in timing with your music from car stereo.

TOO thin. Yes. I know all about power draw from speakers. I'm a bass player. I use a nice big fat 120W valve amp and very efficient speaker cabinets. Sometimes I do that as loud as I can. That draw is enough to power speakers that rattle the windows in houses 100m from me if I choose at frequencies that no living being on earth can hear. The cable just has to be "enough". It doesn't improve or change after that. The amp has to power the speaker sufficiently. That's it.

Last edited:
Associate
No, it isn't. That's the problem and that's what i was talking about - the theory is sound but practically no, you're wrong. You're looking at less than half a db loss using a 17AWG cable on that setup. and that's at 20 feet. Those original cables would have be made of cheese for there to be any practical difference.

Hey hey hey! What sort of cheese are we talking? A good, strong blue stilton might well give the lows more depth, whereas a run of the mill, cheap, supermarket cheddar just leaves everything feeling very flat!

I've heard that particularly girthy wheels of Edam provide some of the best results in cheese based audiology.

Perhaps even an artisanal camembert! I think by that point you'll never be able to hear the difference with a human ear though.

Soldato
OP

Your only going from numbers on paper, numbers on paper is not listening.

Why can't you accept I can hear a difference, and it was quite a big difference it unbalanced the speakers when only done on one side.

Remember Tom Hardware did a article saying motherboard sound was as good as sound cards. You know this is not true by all good sound card reviews on OCUK forum. I mention this as what's on paper is not always true.

Soldato
Your only going from numbers on paper, numbers on paper is not listening.

Why can't you accept I can hear a difference, and it was quite a big difference it unbalanced the speakers when only done on one side.

Remember Tom Hardware did a article saying motherboard sound was as good as sound cards. You know this is not true by all good sound card reviews on OCUK forum. I mention this as what's on paper is not always true.

But you have been using numbers yourself, often without sufficient context. I give you context and that's not good enough?
Hey hey hey! What sort of cheese are we talking? A good, strong blue stilton might well give the lows more depth, whereas a run of the mill, cheap, supermarket cheddar just leaves everything feeling very flat!
Cheesestrings. multi-stranded is where it's at ;)

Soldato
OP
TOO thin. Yes. I know all about power draw from speakers. I'm a bass player. I use a nice big fat 120W valve amp and very efficient speaker cabinets. Sometimes I do that as loud as I can. That draw is enough to power speakers that rattle the windows in houses 100m from me if I choose at frequencies that no living being on earth can hear. The cable just has to be "enough". It doesn't improve or change after that. The amp has to power the speaker sufficiently. That's it.

Well maybe my 1.15mm cable was not enough. On the 1.15mm cable I could get these speakers very loud, maybe enough to damage them long term. I'm talking about details in treble, better mid range, just better sound quality.

Also not mentioned before. My source is an Asus Essence ST, I'm running Amazon Music HD (flak). On top of this my speakers are on stands, I'm sitting directly between them.

Soldato
OP
But you have been using numbers yourself, often without sufficient context. I give you context and that's not good enough?

I gave people my speaker wattage / ohms and amp ohms, these have some relativity to the cable I'm running.

Of course it's not good enough, because I'm the person who's can hear the difference. You or no one else can tell me what I'm hearing.

If you think that a cable upgrade can not make a difference. Go on Amazon and search DCSK cable (thats an ordinary pure copper cable) , look at the reviews for 2.5mm, you will find maybe 100 people who say they are having better sound.

This is the situation we are at. It's like me test driving a car, then having a view on how it drives. Then a number of people who have never driven the car, disagree with my view on the car.

Soldato
Of course it's not good enough, because I'm the person who's can hear the difference. You or no one else can tell me what I'm hearing.
Then id just drop the thread if i were you, because you arent interested in proving anything, you arent interested in in even testing what you think you hear and you arent interested in anybody questioning your judgement. That isn't a discussion, it's an echo chamber.

Soldato
OP
because you arent interested in proving anything, you arent interested in in even testing what you think you hear.

So all the people who post on audio forums, or they give reviews on say Amazon. None of these are valid because they never purchased some expensive equipment, then learnt how to set it up, then provided a graph.

So I'm not allowed to have a view because I've not done the above?

I drive a Honda Integra Type R, I run some fast road / track day tyres (Hankook RS2's). When I fitted the tyres I had more grip in corners, would you accept this, or would you like me to put a G Meter in the car and provide some evidence of this?

I'm not selling you anything here, i'm not the Irish guy that randomly knocks on your door and offers to re-tarmac your drive. Are we down to a level we can't begin to believe someone anymore.

We talk about testing, how about one person in this thread, say he might be telling the truth, I'm going to try this myself, and I'll learn something in the process.

Soldato
OP
I'm a bass player.

This is interesting.

Away from speaker cables, since page 5, I've also been posting about Van Damme Lo-Cap interconnects, as it happens the cable is actually electric guitar cable. Now I think the cables are brilliant as interconnect cables, low noise, warm very detailed. Predictably however most said you can't tell the difference between interconnects, of course none have ever listened to these cables.

Interesting I found an old review from Guitarist magazine, look at page 49 of the PDF

https://www.ansata.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/VanDamme_Catalog.pdf

"Trebles are noticeably cleaner and stronger - party what we expected - but the more surprising revelation is the cleaner, more solid bass."

Now the above is what's happened to audio when used as an interconnect over a common cheap interconnect.

Soldato
I gave people my speaker wattage / ohms and amp ohms, these have some relativity to the cable I'm running.

If you think that a cable upgrade can not make a difference. Go on Amazon and search DCSK cable (thats an ordinary pure copper cable) , look at the reviews for 2.5mm, you will find maybe 100 people who say they are having better sound.

This is the situation we are at. It's like me test driving a car, then having a view on how it drives. Then a number of people who have never driven the car, disagree with my view on the car.
:cry:

Back
Top Bottom